Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 month on South Beach Diet

2K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  LexiAndNikkisMom 
#1 ·
I've been on the South Beach diet now for 1 month and I've lost 15 pounds so far. I lost 13.5 of it the first 2 weeks but then I cheated and had some fries, popcorn and some other stuff one weekend.
I gained 2.5 pounds after that. I've been trying to lose them now for 2 weeks. I finally lost them plus another pound!

See less See more
#13 ·
Originally posted by snoopychan@Nov 19 2004, 01:41 AM
Lexi's Mom~ how does the South Beach Diet work? What food are you suppose to avoid? and which ones can you have?<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17140
[/QUOTE]

There are 3 phases. Phase 1 last for 2 weeks and is the strictest phase. This is when you flush the bad stuff from your body. You will lose 8-13lbs during this phase. I lost 12.5lbs. A lady my mom works with lost almost 20lbs during phase 1.

The second phase last until you have reached your goal weight.

Phase 3 is what you stay on to maintain your weight.

During phase 2 or 3 if you start gaining weight (more than your weight fluctuating a few pounds) you can drop down a stage. When your weight is bad to where it was you go back to the stage you were before.

Here is a page that explain what the
South Beach Diet is.

Here is a page that explains how it works.

Phase 1 Guidelines and Food List
Phase 2 Guidelines and Food List

Here are some links:
- Official South Beach Website (you can join the website but it is $5 a week)
- South Beach Forum (there are some links at the top of the page you should check out)

I also have a lot of recipe websites. Let me know if you want those.

If you are interested in the diet I would recommend getting the book.
South Beach Diet book

#14 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Nov 19 2004, 09:31 AM
There are 3 phases.  Phase 1 last for 2 weeks and is the strictest phase.  This is when you flush the bad stuff from your body.  You will lose 8-13lbs during this phase. I lost 12.5lbs.  A lady my mom works with lost almost 20lbs during phase 1.

The second phase last until you have reached your goal weight.

Phase 3 is what you stay on to maintain your weight. 

During phase 2 or 3 if you start gaining weight (more than your weight fluctuating a few pounds) you can drop down a stage.  When your weight is bad to where it was you go back to the stage you were before.

Here is a page that explain what the
South Beach Diet is.

Here is a page that explains how it works.

Phase 1 Guidelines and Food List
Phase 2 Guidelines and Food List

Here are some links:
- Official South Beach Website (you can join the website but it is $5 a week)
- South Beach Forum (there are some links at the top of the page you should check out)

I also have a lot of recipe websites.  Let me know if you want those.

If you are interested in the diet I would recommend getting the book.
South Beach Diet book
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17159
[/QUOTE]

Great info! I may look into doing that diet.. after Thanksgiving of course

#15 ·
Yeah, I'm not looking forward to Thanksgiving. It is going to be hard. At least my mom is the one having it. I found a bunch of recipes that we might make for the people on the South Beach diet. I will probably cheat though and have some mashed potatoes. Its just not Thanksgiving without mashed potatoes.

#18 ·
Congrats on your weight loss!
I definately need to lose some pounds too!! I did a low carb diet for a month but it ended when I went on my vacation + I started to get really grouchy :lol: . Thank you very much for the info! I think I might give this a go after Thanksgiving as well! :D

#19 ·
Originally posted by steponme@Nov 19 2004, 05:34 PM
Congratulations!! I'm on the LA Weight Loss program and I have lost 25 pounds. Has anybody ever heard of this diet before.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17288
[/QUOTE]

Some people I used to work with did that diet. They lost alot too...but put it back on.
That is why I am trying to do the WW. It is very adaptable to my lifestyle. I can eat whatever I want-I just have to count it. I have to pay the consequences for candy/pasta/rolls etc. later by eating a salad or something else low in points. Or I have to walk/exercise extra to help make up for it.
My weight since my kids is something that I am going to have to battle for the rest of my life. I needed a lifetime plan more than I needed a quick fix...although liposuction was really sounding good!
The loss is slow this way...in fact, I have been stalled out for several weeks with the holidays. But, I hope to at least maintain right here through Christmas- and then jump back in with both feet in January.

There are so many diets out there to choose from. I think it is wonderful b/c people can choose the ones that suit them the best.

#20 ·
Good for you. I tried the SB Diet 2 different times. I like the fact that they are lower fat than Adkins. Unfortunately those 15 pistacios that you can have as a snack ended up being about a pound of pistacios per day! So I screwed myself up.

I've had the better luck on WW. After I got back from Europe in June and looked at my photos I decided to just count calories and didn't even fool with the points or anything. I also cut way back on wine at dinner. That has worked for me and I've lost 15 pounds and kept it off. After Christmas I'm going to try for another 15. At least my photos are better and I've lost a clothing size.

Any change in eating plan is really hard work. We should all be proud.

#21 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Nov 19 2004, 11:49 AM
Yeah, I'm not looking forward to Thanksgiving.  It is going to be hard.  At least my mom is the one having it.  I found a bunch of recipes that we might make for the people on the South Beach diet.  I will probably cheat though and have some mashed potatoes.  Its just not Thanksgiving without mashed potatoes.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17196
[/QUOTE]

Here's a great recipe for mashed "potatoes" with extremely low carbs ..... I swear you will think it is real potatoes.

1. Cut up a head of cauliflower (yep ... cauliflower!) and steam it until fairly soft.

2. Put the cauliflower in a food processor and process it until it is in small pieces.

3. Add about 2 TBL of Hellmann's mayo (I use the low fat version) You can use more or less mayo.....you may have to experiment......

4. Process it a little bit and then add some salt and pepper. I also drizzle in a teeny bit of olive oil. If you like a buttery flavor, you may prefer to use butter, margarine or a butter-flavored seasoning. You also may want to add garlic or rosemary.... basically.... "season to taste".

5. Then keep processing until this mixture has the consistency of potatoes.

This is delicious!! I promise! Bon Appetit!

#24 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Nov 19 2004, 08:49 AM
Yeah, I'm not looking forward to Thanksgiving.  It is going to be hard.  At least my mom is the one having it.  I found a bunch of recipes that we might make for the people on the South Beach diet.  I will probably cheat though and have some mashed potatoes.  Its just not Thanksgiving without mashed potatoes.
[/QUOTE]
You know what though...After you have gorged (
) at Thanksgiving, go back to Phase 1 for a few days to one week and you will still be right on task.

I lost 15 pounds in 2 months, but, for the past month I have been going on and off the diet, eating a burrito here and there (flour tortilla not good!!!), Chinese food (rice not good, flour coating on orange chicken,...not good!!!), and I end up eating eggs and stuff for the next couple of days, with or without yolk, and I feel fine. I haven't lost any weight, but I have maintained what I did loose...which is a great achievement.

I, personally, am not going to feel guilty for enjoying a great Thanksgiving meal with my family...I may limit some things, but I am consciuosly choosing to not avoid them because I hate feeling the craving for them later.

My advice, eat small portions of stuffing, all kinds of meat, lots of veggies, cranberry sauce, one bun or roll with butter, and dessert. Then get strict on Phase 1 for a few days. I have found that it is extremely DIFFICULT
for me to go back to Phase 1...but I do it.

Oh, I think what works best on SB is the oil...the slowing of the metabolism...so eat some reduced fat butter, etc.

Okay...I'll stop now!

~Elegant

#25 ·
Originally posted by Elegant+Nov 20 2004, 02:45 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Nov 19 2004, 08:49 AM
You know what though...After you have gorged (
) at Thanksgiving, go back to Phase 1 for a few days to one week and you will still be right on task.

I lost 15 pounds in 2 months, but, for the past month I have been going on and off the diet, eating a burrito here and there (flour tortilla not good!!!), Chinese food (rice not good, flour coating on orange chicken,...not good!!!), and I end up eating eggs and stuff for the next couple of days, with or without yolk, and I feel fine. I haven't lost any weight, but I have maintained what I did loose...which is a great achievement.

I, personally, am not going to feel guilty for enjoying a great Thanksgiving meal with my family...I may limit some things, but I am consciuosly choosing to not avoid them because I hate feeling the craving for them later.

My advice, eat small portions of stuffing, all kinds of meat, lots of veggies, cranberry sauce, one bun or roll with butter, and dessert. Then get strict on Phase 1 for a few days. I have found that it is extremely DIFFICULT
for me to go back to Phase 1...but I do it.

Oh, I think what works best on SB is the oil...the slowing of the metabolism...so eat some reduced fat butter, etc.

Okay...I'll stop now!

~Elegant
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17426
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks! That is a good idea. My mom and I decided we would both cheat on Thanksgiving. We are going to try to be good and control our portions but if we want mashed potatoes and buns we can have some. That is a good idea about dropping back to Phase 1 for a week. I'll have to try that.

#26 ·
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Nov 20 2004, 11:07 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Nov 19 2004, 11:49 AM
Here's a great recipe for mashed "potatoes" with extremely low carbs ..... I swear you will think it is real potatoes.

1. Cut up a head of cauliflower (yep ... cauliflower!) and steam it until fairly soft.

2. Put the cauliflower in a food processor and process it until it is in small pieces.

3. Add about 2 TBL of Hellmann's mayo (I use the low fat version) You can use more or less mayo.....you may have to experiment......

4. Process it a little bit and then add some salt and pepper. I also drizzle in a teeny bit of olive oil. If you like a buttery flavor, you may prefer to use butter, margarine or a butter-flavored seasoning. You also may want to add garlic or rosemary.... basically.... "season to taste".

5. Then keep processing until this mixture has the consistency of potatoes.

This is delicious!! I promise! Bon Appetit!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17408
[/B][/QUOTE]

I've heard about the cauliflower "potatoes" wasn't sure if they were any good. I'll have to try them sometime.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.