Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 10week old Maltese on Sunday. After not eating Sunday ,we visited the vet. She kept her there for 2 days and tried to get her to eat. She has to be syringe fed.does anyone have any advise on what to do? I can't keep doing this every 4 hours with a job and a family. My vet says no human food, but my feeling is if that gets her to eat, isn't that better than what we are doing now? Also, I went and bought every can food I could find today , she wouldn't touch any of it. Please help!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,616 Posts
Have you talked about this with the breeder? Do you know for sure she is 10 weeks old? My breeder advised me to get Gerber Baby food chicken sticks if my puppy didn't eat right away. I would say your vet is nuts to say "no human food". It may set a bad precedent, but that's better than a dead puppy. Also, how much does your puppy weigh?
These questions are intended to give us a better understanding, so that we can help.

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
10 weeks is really young to be away from mama and littermates. Do you have any nutrical paste? Make sure you are finger feeding that to her to keep her blood sugar up. I agree with Sylie and the chicken sticks. I would even go so far as to try boiled skinless white meat chicken grind it up. The most important thing is to keep calories and fluids going in until she is a bigger. Definitely call you breeder if you can for assistance.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
I'm so sorry your puppy isn't eating :( You must be distraught. I am wondering why she's not eating. Did your vet do blood work?

·
Registered
341 Posts
My breeder had me buy Nutri Cal, which is a high calorie paste, almost like molasses....just smooth it in her mouth to give her the nutrients she needs....10 weeks was too young to come home, in my opinion, but since you have her, make sure you feed her nutra cal and maybe some Gerber chicken sticks!!! Good luck and keep us informed of your progress!!

·
Premium Member
15,980 Posts
I would feed her what she'll eat like boiled chicken or the Gerber chicken sticks. She is way too little to go without food. You can deal with her being a picky eater after she's older. For now it' all about getting her to eat. I'd call the breeder also!

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Yes....I agree with everyone Nutrical or anything this poor baby will eat....important to get something in her.....feed her anything at this point.....she should not have been taken away from her mother at such a young age. Please feed her whatever she will eat.....keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Welcome, and I am sorry this is happening. Is she eating every 4 hrs from the syringe or not eating anything as in your title? Sorry I'm little confused. How much does your puppy weigh? I know it's an issue for you working, but you prob don't have a choice here. I am wondering same thing, did the Vet do blood work or say what the issue was as to why no people food?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Gidget was this way when we got her. Scared us to death!! She was 9 weeks old and the breeder (I use the term loosely) was no help. She would not even eat boiled chicken regularly, but she did LOVE loosely scrambled eggs. I'm like everyone else, not sure why the vet says absolutely no people food, but we did find a kibble she liked and would eat-- Blue Buffalo. Since then we have switched to ZiwiPeak which I have not heard of any dog that doesn't love this food. It's pricey but VERY good. If you order it from wag.com--which I have to because no one sells it around where I live--if you buy $49. it is free 2 day shipping. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
10,616 Posts
I get sort of upset when somebody comes on this forum asking for advice that can save the life of their puppy, but then doesn't bother to come back to check it. Owensaki, now that you have posed your question why are you not here to listen for help?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the advise. Sorry I was not here to reply but had an important meeting for my son. My puppy is 2.8 lbs. The vet does not want her to get used to human food. I agree with all of you and will try eggs, ground up chicken, or chicken sticks. No, the vet did no tests except blood sugar and temp. I have never heard of the paste and even asked the vet if there was some sort of supplement to give her and she said she did not want me to do it. She wants me to syringe feed her. To clarify, she will not eat anything on her own, but does keep down the syringe feedings, what doesn't get all over her beautiful skin. The breeder( also used very loosly)was no help. She swears she was a little pig and ate well, but had no real advise for me. I asked her if it was too eatly and she said no and even had a vet cerify that she was ready to go home. I believed them, big mistake i think. Can anyone tell me where to get the paste? I have decided to get a second opinion from another vet because of all of the advise of all of you wonderful people.I will keep you posted. Thanks so much.

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
I would get another vet who might be more familiar with very small breed dogs. You can get Nutrical at an type of pet store like Petsmart or Petco, etc. Can't imagine the vet didn't tell you to keep it on hand. Let us know how things go. We all care.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Ahh, hang in there. I also went this route buying my pups. I know better now. Gidget here stated this happened to her little pup too. praying she eats soon. makes me mad that the breeder, would not take her back till older. she is not a rep breeder.

·
Premium Member
10,616 Posts
Oh, honey you did find the right place for support. I am no genius in this regard, but I think that anything you offer your puppy that she will eat is a good start. Other members her may give you better suggestions, but for now the imperative is that she eats and gets nutrition. Whatever it takes. Keep us posted. We will talk about other stuff later...right now you just need to get some nourishment into your baby by whatever means.

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
Yes, it's a bit tricky with the little ones sometimes. Not that I don't trust your vet, but she may not be overly familiar with toy breeds. You can get nutrical at petco. Just ask for it. It will be crucial for her. And I would probably try to feed her at least every 4-6 hours. Sometimes you just have to throw the rules out the window for these little ones, and she will thank you for it! Keep us posted, and I would love to see a picture!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will let you know what the other vet says. I will go get nutrical right away. Has anyone heard of feeding them boiled hamburger? Good, bad?

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
All I can say at this point is feed her whatever she will eat....it doesn't matter right now.....she needs something in her system.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
10,616 Posts
I will let you know what the other vet says. I will go get nutrical right away. Has anyone heard of feeding them boiled hamburger? Good, bad?
Typically it is boiled white meat chicken But I just think that any good protein food that she will eat is fine. For the moment your major concern is getting her to start eating food. I think that she may have been weaned too early and is not ready to start eating on her own. Get the nutrical and do the best you can. And absolutely try to find a better vet.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I got my malt extremely early....she was only 6 weeks. Breeder was leaving the country so I took her and literally hand fed her kibble food for the first week. It was that or she wouldn't eat. As the days went by she ate on her own and loved canned food and now my 2 pound 6 week old is a 10 pound 3 and a half year old !!
Please make sure she/he eats ad the Nutrical is great to protect her from having low blood sugar which is dangerous.
Good Luck !

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
Be careful with the Nutrical though. It is not meant to replace food. It is supposed to help if she is in danger of going into a dangerous low blood sugar episode, but it can cause spikes and then dramatic drops in blood sugar. After the Nutrical is given, you want them to have real food (protein) so that they can stabilize. You do not want to keep her on Nutrical indefinitely.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts