Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
11 kids found locked in cages in Ohio house

CLARKSFIELD TOWNSHIP, Ohio (AP) -- Sheriff's deputies found 11 children locked in cages rigged with alarms Monday in a north Ohio house.

The children, ages 1 to 14, were in cages in the walls of the home in Clarksfield Township, about 50 miles west of Cleveland. They had no blankets or pillows, according to the Huron County Sheriff's Office.

The children were taken to Fisher-Titus Medical Center. No information on their conditions was available late Monday.

Sharon and Mike Gravelle are adoptive or foster parents for all 11 children, officials said.

The Gravelles do not have a listed telephone number.

Few additional details were available late Monday. Prosecutors were reviewing the case, but no charges had yet been filed[/B]

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Omg that is deadful, I bet they were collecting some sort of government funds for being foster parents and that is the sad thing they didn't want the children they just wanted the money probably.

·
Registered
552 Posts
What ashame! I sure hope that those people suffer worse than what the children do. Now those poor children will be scarred for life. There are too many good families in this world that would love to have these children and for this to go on in our country is ridiculous. Where is the Child Welfare Services?

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
:eek: WTH!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Updated story on CNN
Police find 8 Ohio kids locked in cages

From Chris Browne
CNN

Tuesday, September 13, 2005; Posted: 7:05 a.m. EDT (11:05 GMT)

The children were found locked in cages at their home in Wakeman, Ohio.

(CNN) -- Police in northern Ohio on Monday rescued eight children whose parents told authorities they kept the kids in locked cages for their own protection.

The children, ages 1 to 14, were found locked in cages at their home in Wakeman, about 40 miles southwest of Cleveland, according to Lt. Randy Sommers of the Huron County Sheriff's Office.

The children were all either adopted or foster children, he said.

Authorities said the kids were kept in wooden cages, less than 3 feet by 3 feet, without pillows or blankets.

Shortly after being found, the children were sent to Fisher-Titus Medical Center in Norwalk, where they were listed in good condition.

The children's parents, Mike and Sharon Gravelle, had 11 children in all, according to authorities.

Police said no charges had been filed against the parents.

"Basically, the parents thought they were providing for the protection of the children from themselves and from each other," said Sommers.

"They thought there was circumstances with these children that warranted the cages at night," Sommers added, but he would not go into details of what those circumstances were.

All 11 of the children found in the home have been placed in the custody of the Huron County Department of Children and Families.[/B]

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Unfortunately, there are not enough people with the character needed to be foster parents. There are some excellent ones, but there are also some terrible ones. I think all to often our government puts money needed to be placed on our children, our families, and our communities gets placed to cover the extravagent salaries, and perks of the top officials who really do very little.
It was even reported that the parents were acting upon the advice of a psychiatrist. Unfortunately, I doubt that the people will be charged. I just wish that we could throw out our existing government and go back to the things that really matter in this country!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts