Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I joined SM about 2 months ago, letting you all know that I'm adopting the only female from my friend's dog's litter, and little Violet is FINALLY home with me in NY!

She's been home for just over 4 days now, and had a little trouble adjusting the first 2 days & nights (LOTS of whining in the crate), but she's really getting used to our house, me and my husband. She goes into her crate without complaining or even on her own! She's a little sweetie, very lovable, playful, and just a very good puppy! :sweatdrop:

I posted photos of my little Violet, please take a look at how adorable she is! I'm holding her in 2 photos, pre-haircut... she was extremely hairy, had never been groomed and really needed a clean-up! It's really hot here in NY and we don't have central air (like her birth home in FL), so I thought her puppy cut would be A LOT cooler :thumbsup:

I've been sewing adorable corset-like dress harnesses for Violet and started making them for friends too. Then I made more & sold a few at a craft fair last month. Check them out in my Etsy shop, Specialty Harnesses for Small Dogs by VioletPaw on Etsy

Only problem I'm having with Violet is that she won't eat ANY of the 6 different HIGH quality treats I bought her, but LOVES chicken. Should I train her (sit, stay, come, down, etc) with tiny pieces of chicken? Or some other "yummy" people food? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! :unsure:

:ThankYou:

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Welcome and Congratulations!!

Which brand of treats have you been giving her?
I think, perhaps, if you get her used to eating 'people' food a lot, she could become a really picky eater- a lot of Maltese are sometimes 'picky' eaters by their own accord.

That being said, I do boil edamame beans for my dog and she loves those- and they're perfect treat size. Also apples or carrots are good little treats to give too. As for dog treats, I use Zuke's mini (usually in peanut butter or chicken) or the Zuke's blueberry jerky (and break those up into smaller bits) or the Buddy Biscuits (and break them into smaller pieces as well).

Have fun!!

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Lilly loves chicken. I always have some on hand for training.

Welcome. We love pictures. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome and Congratulations!!

Which brand of treats have you been giving her?
I think, perhaps, if you get her used to eating 'people' food a lot, she could become a really picky eater- a lot of Maltese are sometimes 'picky' eaters by their own accord.

That being said, I do boil edamame beans for my dog and she loves those- and they're perfect treat size. Also apples or carrots are good little treats to give too. As for dog treats, I use Zuke's mini (usually in peanut butter or chicken) or the Zuke's blueberry jerky (and break those up into smaller bits) or the Buddy Biscuits (and break them into smaller pieces as well).

Have fun!!
Thank you iheartbisou!

I have been trying to give Violet Wellness Puppy Treats or Wellness Chicken treats, Tillman's Training Tips (chicken & vegetables), Charlee Bear (turkey liver & cranberries), Cloud Star Tricky Trainers Chewy (cheddar flavor) and Trader Joe's Beef Recipe Jerky Strips... a virtual fortune in treats she won't eat! I tried to just give her tiny pieces of a treat if it wasn't tiny already to see if she'd like it... and she just sniffs it and looks at me like, what is this crap mommy? The only "treat" she LOVES is the Trader Joe's Chicken wrapped rawhide, but I didn't think that would be good for training purposes (but it sure is good for keeping her busy while I work!)

We often buy edamame just for ourselves, that's a good suggestion, I'll see if she will eat them... then if she doesn't like it, at least it won't go to waste! :yes:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Violet is a beauty! She is sure to be on the Best Dressed List with your skills as a seamstress.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your clothing line is adorable
I forgot to mention that how cute it was! it's adorable!
Matilda's mommy and iheartbisou THANK YOU! :wub: She will be super stylish when we go out to see friends and family as it's too hot to have her wear it for just regular walks now. I made her a purple version of this one: Black pinstripe and red fetish corset dog harness by VioletPaw and when she out grows it, she'll either get this one: Black and purple lace gothic lolita dog harness FREE by VioletPaw or if I sell it I'll make a copy of it for her. :)

·
Registered
744 Posts
YAY! Another Violet!!! We call our Violet 'Vi' :) Your Violet is VERY cute!
I agree about the people food. My dogs get boiled chicken sometimes for a treat as I don't by dog treats for my guys, but they do get treats every now and then to reward for something. (Like Vi and her re-learning to leave her topknot alone lol)
ANyway, welcome to the group!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lilly loves chicken. I always have some on hand for training.

Welcome. We love pictures. :)
Thank you! If all else fails, I will have to resort to chicken.

I posted another 3 photos, thanks for letting me share the cuteness of my puppy! I knew I'd like having a dog, but never expected to LOVE her so much!!!

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
:Welcome 3: What a cutie Vi is. :wub::wub:I especially love the photo of her near her food dishes and the one of her little face peeking out of her carrier for her trip. Really cute and great clothes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
YAY! Another Violet!!! We call our Violet 'Vi' :) Your Violet is VERY cute!
I agree about the people food. My dogs get boiled chicken sometimes for a treat as I don't by dog treats for my guys, but they do get treats every now and then to reward for something. (Like Vi and her re-learning to leave her topknot alone lol)
ANyway, welcome to the group!!
Thank you Cheri! YAY! Cuties named Violet rule! :aktion033:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:Welcome 3: She's adorable and so are the harnesses! :D
Thank you Miss_Annie!

LOL; Violet is making me laugh as I type this... she just found the fan that has been blowing on me and is rolling around, pawing the air and licking the air! This puppy constantly makes me giggle!

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Veggies make good treats and less messy. Just teeny pieces do the trick (pardon the pun).
Welcome to SM!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:Welcome 3: What a cutie Vi is. :wub::wub:I especially love the photo of her near her food dishes and the one of her little face peeking out of her carrier for her trip. Really cute and great clothes.

Thank you Snowbody!

I am absolutely overwhelmed by the all warm welcomes I've been receiving and wonderful compliments! Thank you SO much everyone!!!!
:sLo_grouphug3:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Veggies make good treats and less messy. Just teeny pieces do the trick (pardon the pun).
Welcome to SM!
Thank you Cosy! I tried giving her a uncooked green bean, but she just kept moving it around the kitchen - I think she thought it was a toy! I also gave her 3 tiny bites of cooked sweet potato when we made that for us for dinner 2 nights ago and she went crazy for it. (Of course I gave it to her AFTER we finished eating and in her dish... I don't want her to get used to begging at the table).

I've read that apples, carrots, and sweet potatoes are good to give to dogs as treats- any other fruit or veggie suggestions anyone? And do you suggest cooked or raw?

·
Registered
744 Posts
I just checked out your etsy store, and HOLY COW those are cute!!! (I've always had a secret love for goth lol)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Thank you Cheri! YAY! Cuties named Violet rule! :aktion033:
LOL yeah they do!! V had it hard for her first 3 years (she was a puppy mill breeder who never had pups and was worthless to her then owner, so I scooped her up and rescued her!) But now she's loved and cherished and part of the (very large lol) family!

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Thank you Cosy! I tried giving her a uncooked green bean, but she just kept moving it around the kitchen - I think she thought it was a toy! I also gave her 3 tiny bites of cooked sweet potato when we made that for us for dinner 2 nights ago and she went crazy for it. (Of course I gave it to her AFTER we finished eating and in her dish... I don't want her to get used to begging at the table).

I've read that apples, carrots, and sweet potatoes are good to give to dogs as treats- any other fruit or veggie suggestions anyone? And do you suggest cooked or raw?
I give raw and cooked carrots - apples and orange bits. I cook the green beans first.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts