Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little Tucker is 16-1/2. He has liver shunt. He was on LD dog food but stopped eating it.
We now give him low protein food and a little boiled chicken or boiled hamburger.
He has been eating it but losing weight. He often throws up. Planning to add a little pasta. Some baby food. Amy ideas?

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
10,024 Posts
My little Tucker is 16-1/2. He has liver shunt. He was on LD dog food but stopped eating it.
We now give him low protein food and a little boiled chicken or boiled hamburger.
He has been eating it but losing weight. He often throws up. Planning to add a little pasta. Some baby food. Amy ideas?
I am so sorry. I went through something similar. Has he had a ultrasound recently? Low fat string cheese, yogurt, low fat ice cream, Cheerios might get him to eat a bit. Make sure anything you use does not have xylitol. Good luck.

Reactions: edelweiss

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I was sad to see that your little Tucker is not well. I would suggest that you make an appointment with your Vet to see what the outcome of that appointment will be.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,898 Posts
I had a liver shut dog once---you are to be commended. That is a long life & you have done well for your baby. Our little guy did well off & on until the end---we helped him finally cross over the "rainbow bridge." He had so much attitude it was a difficult decision but I think we did the best we could to give him a life full of love. We now have a pup w/terminal cancer who has this same "attitude" so I understand that. I am praying God will give us wisdom to know when the fight should be called. It is so hard to let them to go but I would never want them to suffer too much just to please me. I can't advise you because my heart is in my mouth, but I can pray God will enlighten you for decisions that only you are qualified to make. Bon Courage!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a liver shut dog once---you are to be commended. That is a long life & you have done well for your baby. Our little guy did well off & on until the end---we helped him finally cross over the "rainbow bridge." He had so much attitude it was a difficult decision but I think we did the best we could to give him a life full of love. We now have a pup w/terminal cancer who has this same "attitude" so I understand that. I am praying God will give us wisdom to know when the fight should be called. It is so hard to let them to go but I would never want them to suffer too much just to please me. I can't advise you because my heart is in my mouth, but I can pray God will enlighten you for decisions that only you are qualified to make. Bon Courage!
Thank you so much! He sleeps a lot, not in pain, even will run in the yard. He eats very little and is losing weight. He has been the best dog ever. He knows over 200 words

·
Premium Member
17,898 Posts
He sounds amazing! You are a great mom!
Our Lisi sleeps all the time except when time to do her evening stroller "walk." She can walk more than we thought possible---some nights more than others! Your boy still is in the race. Walter can give advise on diet---he is our resident "liver shunt scholar." Sending you loving wishes for the best yet to come.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Our Lisi sleeps all the time except when time to do her evening stroller "walk." She can walk more than we thought possible---some nights more than others! Your boy still is in the race. Walter can give advise on diet---he is our resident "liver shunt scholar." Sending you loving wishes for the best yet to come.
Thank you so much

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got yogurt today and he walked away from it. I added some baby food apples and he still walked away. Have him a little cheese and he ate that. Forget the dog food, didn't eat that.

Took him out side and he ran all over the yard. I do not know how to get him to eat. Even tried spoon feeding
Boo hoo

·
Premium Member
17,898 Posts
Our little grand dog stopped eating & starting hiding. We knew it was time to help him cross the bridge---it is such a painful thing to do but it is the last best thing we can do for them. Talk w/your vet & ask him/her to be honest w/you. Is his quality of life good enough to keep fighting? Only you can answer this question. Prayers & hugs to you.

·
Super Moderator
10,024 Posts
I got yogurt today and he walked away from it. I added some baby food apples and he still walked away. Have him a little cheese and he ate that. Forget the dog food, didn't eat that.

Took him out side and he ran all over the yard. I do not know how to get him to eat. Even tried spoon feeding
Boo hoo
At this point you need to make him as comfortable as possible and let him enjoy life. I would be less concerned that he doesn't eat his food as long as he continues to eat period. It is important to get calories into him. Cheese is good protein just do not overdo it, you do not want to be dealing with pancreatitis. Especially stay away from beef. Soup is a good option if he will eat it, especially the broth, crackers are good in moderation, mine loved oyster crackers. Noodles are good. Spaghetti with a little grated cheese and butter might entice him. I would try to feed in small amount so as to not make him sick. Smaller meals more often are better than a couple of big meals.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At this point you need to make him as comfortable as possible and let him enjoy life. I would be less concerned that he doesn't eat his food as long as he continues to eat period. It is important to get calories into him. Cheese is good protein just do not overdo it, you do not want to be dealing with pancreatitis. Especially stay away from beef. Soup is a good option if he will eat it, especially the broth, crackers are good in moderation, mine loved oyster crackers. Noodles are good. Spaghetti with a little grated cheese and butter might entice him. I would try to feed in small amount so as to not make him sick. Smaller meals more often are better than a couple of big meals.

Good luck.
The trouble is to limit his protein.
I give him noodles, baby food green beans, some cheese, a little chicken, I did give him some hamburger that I drained and washed

·
Super Moderator
10,024 Posts
The trouble is to limit his protein.
I give him noodles, baby food green beans, some cheese, a little chicken, I did give him some hamburger that I drained and washed
Not all protein is the same. Lucky was a liver shunt dog; we worked with Sharon Center at Cornell for treatment. Red meat is especially bad, dairy is much better because it does not break down into ammonia.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not all protein is the same. Lucky was a liver shunt dog; we worked with Sharon Center at Cornell for treatment. Red meat is especially bad, dairy is much better because it does not break down into ammonia.
Thank you so much! Very helpful

1 - 14 of 14 Posts