Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my boy is 2.5 pounds today at six and a half months. He came from normal size parents, he eats well, and is about right for his frame, not skinny or fat. He is just so tiny!

I would love to see him gain 2 or 3 pounds but realistically, can I expect more than about a 25% increase in size at this age? This is what the vet tells me is the most I should expect is around 3.5 pounds when completely filled out. She says that most maltese are pretty much at their adult weight by 8 - 9 months. I would love to see him get to 4 or 5 pounds but I am thinking it is unlikely?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Your breeder should know her lines and would be the best person to advise you. Some lines grow quickly and are finished by 8-9 months, but some are slow growers and even grow in the second year.

Has he had a bile acids test? All Maltese puppies should have one, but it is especially important in a tiny one like yours to rule out liver disease as the cause of his small size.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, my vet said nothing at all about it. I see you are in NC also. Is there a good small dog vet east of Winston Salem you can recommend?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As for the breeder, both parents are normal size, the dad was an Korean import so not sure how much how much background they have on him.

I would be devastated to find out he had health issues. I have fallen completely in love with this little guy.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Hi....You cannot predict a pups full growth at 6 months of age. He can grow up until 2 years of age. I am sure he will be fine even though he is at this weight now. Enjoy your little boy and don't be concerned about his weight. He will be fine. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
My first Maltese, Truffles, weighed 2.5 lb at 6 months of age also. She grew to 3.5 lb til a few years later when she acquired an autoimmune problem, then she gradually went to 4.5 lb due to the med she was on. I blame the autoimmune problem on the booster shots we are encouraged to see they get. I thought I was doing the right thing by getting her those shots; I believe that is wrong.

Otherwise, she was healthy and adorable. I wouldn't worry about him being tiny, you just need to know how to care for him; but that is true of all Maltese in my opinion; they are always 'babies'.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
No, my vet said nothing at all about it. I see you are in NC also. Is there a good small dog vet east of Winston Salem you can recommend?
I moved down to Pinehurst a few years ago but lived in Raleigh for over ten years. I absolutely loved my vets in Raleigh and would highly recommend them! Dr. Chessie Green and Dr. Suzy Brink kept my old Lady going until almost 16 in spite of very serious serious health issues.

North Raleigh Vet Animal Hospital - Falls Village Veterinary Hospital

·
Super Moderator
10,149 Posts
From 6 months to about 15 months, Sweetness doubled her weight. She was around 6.5 pounds at a year and currently is just over 7 pounds. I don't remember what her six month weight was but she definitely kept growing.

If he hasn't been adding weight consistently, you should consider a BAT to rule out any problems.

·
Premium Member
20,028 Posts
It's so hard to predict a dog's adult weight!

Ava was around 2 1/2 lbs at 5 months....well probably closer to 2 lbs.

....she is now almost 4 years old and weighs a bit over 3 1/2 lbs. There are so many factors that play into their growth, guess you'll just have to wait and see :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17,394 Posts
Lisi weighed 3.2 lbs. at 6 months so your puppy sounds really small. She is almost 13 months now & weighs a solid 4.8 pounds. She is truly a little "chow hound."

·
Premium Member
5,448 Posts
Milo was around 4.9lbs at 6 months and ended up being 5.5lbs for a long time but grew in weight and height after 12 months(he gained a lb after 18 months old and is the perfect weight for him) so your puppy could too.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My father used to live in Gastonia,NC! So I've flown into Raleigh quite a few times before he moved back up to NJ. It was so CRAZY in comparison to WA. I looooooove the libraries in NC. The biggest and most beautiful. Waterfalls and fountains and entire floors of microfish! lol There was also a building that lit up when you did the little puzzle or whatever on the outside! I heard that has been vandalized since and you can't do it anymore. :(

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Which Library was that? I have never heard of it...

I just measured him and he was six and a half inches at the withers. So, maybe he will gain more weight as he matures and fills out. He seems perfectly healthy, is a bundle of energy always running around the house, zooms right up the stairs (he is afraid of going down) and has even learned to climb out of his 2' high xpen! I am going to have to put a top on it!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Awww I don't remember what the library was called in Raleigh but my dad said that the reason it is so big was because someone donated everything they saved to it when they passed away.

My father also clarified that the light up building is in Charlotte,NC.. its called ''Touch my building''

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Rocky was 2.5 pounds when we got him at 12 weeks old. He is now a whopping 6.9 pounds. He gained weight in the last six months and he's almost three years old. He's also a picky eater and still put weight on. Maybe he gained right along side of me, ha ha. I can't walk him in this heat, so he's not getting any exercise.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Milo was 2.7lbs at 26weeks old. Now he is 13months old and weighs 3.4lbs. He really hasn't grown much for at least the last three months so my guess is yours will be between 3-3.5lbs also? Mimi was 3.5lbs at 26weeks old and now at 13 months, she is 4lbs. She has been going up and down in the last several months from 3.8-4.0lbs.

BTW, I would love to see some pictures of the little one!

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
I have a friend in Fayetteville and she uses Cape Fear Animal Hospital.

P.S. we have a home in the Western NC mtns.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Lacie was about 2.9 lbs at 6 months and continued to gain weight until she waround 18-19 months. Her current weight is around 6 lbs.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts