Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the breeders I was talking to yesterday was told me that in September there is going to be the AMA National Speciality. It is going to be held in Kansas City (well Oakland Park, which is a suburb of KC). She said right now there aren't a lot of details but there should be more details released in the next couple of months.

2005 AMA National Specialty Information

The 2005 National Specialty is currently in the planning stages for September 8, 9, 10, & 11, 2005 in Overland Park, KS.
Please check back with us for more details.[/B]

·
Registered
240 Posts
OMG! I am so glad you posted this! I think planning a meetup at the specialty sounds like a really fun idea!

I am definitely going to be there...just waiting for more details to come out so I can make my hotel reservations.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The breeder that I talked to was the one organizing it. She said there will be Maltese from all over the world. I thought KC would be a nice central location. The speciality will be from Thursday - Sunday. Not sure whats going on each day (it is TBA). I also thought it would be neat to meet some of the famous dog breeders.

The breeder said something about them staying at the Sheraton. Probably more than one. I can email her and ask for more details.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a search on the web for more info on the show and found this about last years speciality:
The American Maltese Association is the national breed club recognized by the AKC as the official organization that sets standards for and promotes the Maltese breed of dog. Each year the AMA holds a national specialty show for the breed.

The 2004 American Maltese Association National Specialty was held September 21 - 24, 2004 at the Wyndham Resort in Orlando, Florida. The Association sponsored several seminars and social events in addition to the show activities. The show activies included Sweepstakes, Conformation, Junior Showmanship and Obediance Trials. The official results of these events are detailed at the official AMA website.[/B]

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My guess would be you would not be able to bring it to the speciality but it sounded like all of the participants were staying at the same hotel. So my guess would be the hotel is going to have them all stay in the same area, so you could leave the dogs in your room.

My aunt lives in a suburb of KC so I would probably stay with her. Not sure yet though. I guess it would depend on how many SM people attend. If there were going to be a bunch then I would probably stay at a hotel. If only a couple attend I would probably stay at my aunt's and just meetup with them during the day.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I emailed the breeder and here is her response:
Hi Kristi,
The Specialty will be the September 8th-11th at the Overland Park, Ks
Sheraton at I-435. Check out the AMA Web page in the next few weeks and
they will have the 89.00 rate info thru the AMA. Tell them you want
their discount so we get credit for hotel rooms booked.
Later,
Cheryl[/B]

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I tried to go to the one last year, it was in orlando, but it was like a monday thru friday thing so i would have had to miss school to go.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I went to 2 Maltese Specialty Shows, one in Las Vegas and one in Dallas. I haven't seen Maltese dogs from "all over the world. They were all from the US. Personally I find the show boring, but that's me. And there is a lot of politics going on. The nice thing was to meet with people that I talked to online.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Boom Boom's Mom@Mar 8 2005, 10:09 AM
I love Overland Park (I had to laugh at the Oakland Park thing...  don't be mad, I lived in that area way too long)

Did they say WHERE in Overland Park it is going to be?  I might drive out for it, ya never know.  I have a lot of family in that area still.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41116
[/QUOTE]

I think she said in the convention center by the Sheraton.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Marilyn I loved the agility they showed in Vegas. They have not showed agility since then. If I remember well, it was organized by Nikki. It was in Vegas that I met Sharon, Halen, Betty, Mary P... The "you know who" did not like that we met and got close.

·
Registered
568 Posts
How exciting! I do want to plan to go.I love dog shows and this one will be really great.Also,you can buy such wonderful products at the shows.Let's all try to stay at the same place so that we can meet!!! We cant take our babies to the show but I guess they could stay at the hotel or is that a crazy thought?Do they have a doggie day care in overland park?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did a search for dog parks in Overland Park and found this one:
Stoll Park
City: Overland Park
Address: 119th Street betwn Quivira and Pflumm
Directions: 435 - go South on Quivira, Turn right/West on 119th, go about 1/4 mile and it is on your right.
Hours: Sun up - dusk
Comments: Not many people know about this park - clean and friendly people.[/B]
Edit: I found this on this website: The Dog Park

1 - 15 of 15 Posts