Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The AMA has posted the information on the National Speciality in September. Here is what is on their website:
  Tentative Schedule of Events
The 2005 National Specialty is to be held September 8, 9, 10, & 11, 2005 at the Overland Park Sheraton Hotel/Convention Center, Overland Park, KS.

Thursday, Sept 8
Welcome/Hospitality  - Registration Required
8:00am – 5:00pm - (Check-in, get hospitality bags)
White Excitement Party - Registration Required
6:30pm – 10:00pm
VIP Specialty Hot Buffet & Kansas City Musical Entertainment

Friday, Sept 9
Welcome/Hospitality  - Registration Required
8:00 am – 5:00 pm - (Check-in, get hospitality bags)
Seminars - Registration Required
(morning - Exact time to be determined)
- AKC Canine Good Citizen Program
"How to become involved in the AKC CGC with Your Maltese"
- AKC Canine Good Citizen Testing

Saturday, Sept 10
Hospitality, Coffee and Danish
one hour before judging
Obedience Judging - Mrs. Dee Dee Rose
Sweepstakes Judging - Ms. Mary L. Day
AMA Membership Meeting time to be announced
Judges’ Education Breed Seminar 8:00 pm

Sunday, Sept 11
Hospitality, Coffee and Danish
one hour before judging
Junior Showmanship Judging - Mr. Larry C. Abbott
Regular Class Judging - Mr. Larry C. Abbott
Parade of Champions/Title Holders, Parade of Rescue Dogs
AMA Awards Banquet - Registration Required
Reception and Cash Bar 6:30 pm
Dinner and Auction 7:00 pm

Hotel Information
Overland Park Sheraton Hotel/Convention Center, Overland Park, KS.
The site is located 20 miles south of Kansas City, MO.

1 (800) 325-3535 Local (913) 234-2100
* Be sure to mention you are with the AMA to be counted as part of our Group!
* Rate: Single/Double $89 subject to local taxes
* Reservations made after Aug. 15, 2005 are provided space available.
$50 Non-refundable deposit is required for all rooms with dogs.

Make Reservations NOW!![/B]

·
Registered
76 Posts
is this something you can go to as a spectator only? Would I be able to bring my maltese along to "watch"? Is this a good opportunity to meet other maltese owners or are they pretty busy getting ready to compete?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Spectators are welcome. Not sure if you could bring your dog to the show though.

You could try emailing, Vicki Abbott. Her email is GoinToKC2005 @ waymark.net (take out the spaces). Vicki is this year's registrar for the speciality.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by JCButterfly@May 2 2005, 02:16 PM
is this something you can go to as a spectator only?  Would I be able to bring my maltese along to "watch"?  Is this a good opportunity to meet other maltese owners or are they pretty busy getting ready to compete?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58975
[/QUOTE]
I talked to the breeder that told me about the Speciality. She said as long as your furbaby is well behaved and quiet she doesn't think anyone will have a problem with you bring her.

The speciality is going to be held in the ballroom at the hotel. She also said there is going to be a Maltese Auction on Sunday night. They will be auctioning off maltese items. Not sure what that means exactly.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just wondering if anyone is planning on going or thinking about it? I'm planning on going. Right now I think I will be staying at the hotel (might change though).

·
Registered
240 Posts
I am definitely going...just got my confirmation from Vicki Abbott on Friday. I have a ticket to fly out but I might ride down with a few people and just fly back instead. Depends on how much stuff I buy when I'm out there.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm thinking of driving down Saturday morning and stay overnight. It's only like a 3 hr drive so if I leave at 7/8AM I would get there at 10/11AM.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think I can. I would need to be at work the next day. With my San Diego trip and saving for a dog I don't really want to spend too much on the hotel. I thought of staying at my aunt's house but she lives in a eastern suburb.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by puppylucy@May 31 2005, 07:46 PM
aw.. you're going to have so much fun
i wish i could go, but it's just tooooo far for us

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=67362
[/QUOTE]
You might be able to go to next years or the year after. They move it every year. I think last years was in Orlando so next years is probably on the west coast. So in 2 years it should be back on the east coast somewhere.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I would love to go to the specialty, but, when I made the commitment to have pups, that meant I could not leave home that long. It was pups or vacation this year, and I chose pups.
As for bringing your dog along, I would not recommend it. Those ballrooms are usaually too small to have room for extra dogs. The grooming tables are against the walls (in some cases), then the rings, isles, and spectator area pretty much takes up the space.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts