Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had Tristan for about ten days now and I'm loving it! I wasn't expecting the lack of sleep that i would be getting and also wasn't expecting how often he "naps". I knew that puppies require lots of sleep but just want to make sure it's "normal".

We go to bed around 11:00 p.m. and up at 6:00 a.m., he's in bed with us and as far as I know he sleeps through the night. I spend time with him in the morning from 6-8ish. During that time he only "plays" like 15 minutes, otherwise he seems to just want to snuggle.

Then I leave him in his crate from 8ish until noon. Spend time with him for an hour. He'll eat a little and drink. Play with his toy a bit but isn't really active. Then he's in his crate from 1-4 when my husband gets home.

Hubby reports that puppy follows him around or wants to sit by him but doesn't engage in much "play" time. I would say that Tristan is at his most active point from about 8:00 p.m.-10:00 p.m. when he just kind of crashes.

Soooo, is that about right? Or is that considered "lathargic" to the point I should consider different food? (currently feeding Chicken soup for the puppy's soul).

I took off all last week and was with him almost every waking minute, so maybe we are both still adjusting to me going back to work?

I just don't want to be a "bad mom"!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
With both of mine..... they were quiet and very sweet for about 2 days and then they were Cujo for a few weeks... They were both very, very playful and active. You may want to have the vet check him out to make sure something isn't bothering him.......My experience has been that puppies are very active....

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
My guess is he is still settling in. Once he feels more comfortable with his new environment he should me more active.

Anyway it sounds normal for a 3 month old puppy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts