Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just wondering if anyone has experienced this

Rose our 2 year old Maltese, was spayed and given her 3 year Rabies vaccine in December of 04. In February I noticed a lump on her back hind area. The bump was flesh colored, and about the size of a dime, round, firm, yet movable meaning it didnt feel as if it were attached to anything below the skin. I took her to the vet and had asked if this was in fact where she had her Rabies vaccine, and that I was concerned due to reading that a very small percentage of dogs can have a fibrosarcoma occur at the site on the injection. Sure enough, that lump is exactly where she had had the vaccine. I never noticed it before and I bathe her weekly and would have felt it while grooming her. The Vet felt it was nothing more than an irritation right under the skin, but that we should keep an eye on it and monitor for any change.

The vet did call me just yesterday( a week later) to see how Rose was doing. No change, its not smaller not bigger just the same.

Has anyone else experienced this with Rabies Vaccine in their Maltese?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
A typical local reaction to rabies goes away within 6 weeks. If this hasn't gone away, I would want the vet to stick a needle in it and do a fine needle aspirate to see if it looks like something that should be taken off. I have seen 1 dog that got a local abscess where the rabies vaccine was given and 1 cat who had a local reaction that did not go away so we removed it just to be on the safe side. It was just inflammation and reactive tissue.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by JMM@Mar 10 2005, 10:25 AM
A typical local reaction to rabies goes away within 6 weeks. If this hasn't gone away, I would want the vet to stick a needle in it and do a fine needle aspirate to see if it looks like something that should be taken off. I have seen 1 dog that got a local abscess where the rabies vaccine was given and 1 cat who had a local reaction that did not go away so we removed it just to be on the safe side. It was just inflammation and reactive tissue.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41774
[/QUOTE]

Initially she had no reaction, seems like this lump has just developed within the past few weeks. Maybe it is just coincidence that this lump is in the area Where the vaccine was given. Ill give it another week or two, and if there is still no change we will head back to the vets
Thank You for your input
JMM

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by LadysMom@Mar 10 2005, 09:02 AM
From what I read, fibrosarcomas mainly occur in cats after a rabies vaccination.

I have never experienced it myself, but I know people whose dog has gotten a lump after a vaccine. It usually went away in a month or so.

Heres a link about potential reactions to vaccines:

http://www.my-dog.info/dog_diseases/vaccines_dogs.asp
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41751
[/QUOTE]

LadysMom, Thank You for your reply, Rose had no reaction at the time the vaccine was given. This is approximately 8 weeks later that this is showing up.
Ill just keep an eye on it

Here is a link I found interesting describing all sorts of lumps and bumps.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cl...8&articleid=424

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Nichole@Mar 10 2005, 11:45 AM
Toby has something very similar last year when he got his rabies injection.  It took almost two months to go away...Let me see if I can find the thread...

Here it is...Toby Needs Your Good Thoughts

We ended up waiting until the lump went away before having him spayed.  In the end, after two nervous months, it subsided.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41804
[/QUOTE]

Thank You Nichole

1 - 9 of 9 Posts