Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, worked on the gate this morning, got quite a bit done, will work on the door tommorow, still have to find the right hinges for it, cant find anything like the target ones anywhere but i'll figure something out

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Keep up the good work Joe, you are soon going to have so many items to make that you won't have time to scratch

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Msloke@Oct 22 2005, 03:30 PM
Are you looking for cafe door type hinges that swing both ways?    Looks good. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112281
[/QUOTE]

actually i had a pair of those but the bracket was like a 1/2 wider than the wood, me and K just got from home depot and i found a pair of cafe hinges that is narrower, so i think they will work
this will aloow it to swing both ways
and hold open if you want it to

i think its cool you knew what cafe hinges were

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Wow!!! That is looking pretty sharp, Joe. Can't wait to get rid of this other pull-up one. As I've said, it is in the main entry and just looks awful. Not to mention my big toe getting stuck in the little wire squares.

Maybe when you're finished, you and Rose can just help me build a new house!!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Msloke you are so clever, well done I say
, it's good to see a woman who can do for herself, sometimes it is the only way to get things done the way we want, I too love nothing more than to tackle a project like that then sit back and see what I have achieved, just get out there and do it. that's my motto I have to say I was always out with my brothers tinkering with the car engines and getting covered in grease and loving it. My mother used to say she had 3 boys instead of 2 and 1 girl, and often tried to get me into the girly things but that wasn't me at all.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by Msloke@Oct 22 2005, 10:08 PM
:D I enjoy it too, kinda fun to plan it out and see it completed, plus I have a warped sense of humor.  My garden toolshed I built looks like an outhouse, complete with the crescent moon in the door and the "seat" inside, which actually is a storage bin with a lift up lid.  I prefer the unusual to the ordinary.  :D 

Guess we can keep this up until Joe has another update on the gate. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112403
[/QUOTE]

Oh you are too funny, but I do love your imagination, and just think who would think of breaking into an outhouse to steal your tools etc. I would say you are very clever indeed, my kind of thinking....

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
MsLoke, I am in awe of people like you. Oh, how I wish I could do all those things you do. Well, I can do one of them.... order food by phone!!
I think all moms & dads should teach their daughters these things... that is, if they know them themselves! Neither my mom nor my dad were handy that way, so I am 1000% helpless when it comes to putting things together, home repairs, etc.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by Msloke@Oct 23 2005, 01:21 PM
Sometimes I wish I were more domestic....the grass is greener on the other side thing. 
  I did attempt to bake bread from scratch once, was truly like an episode of I Love Lucy....won't make that mistake again. 
  But oh well, as long as cordless phone battery doesn't go dead, I won't starve. 

I agree with you, but I'd go a step further.  I think they should teach that stuff in school.  Just kinda like a "Life 101" class for living on your own.  I remember when I was in school, girls weren't allowed to take shop class so I refused to take home ec.....that'd show 'em (which explains my domestic inadequacies. 
).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112572
[/QUOTE]

Msloke you and I sound so alike in many ways, when I was at school I loved science and actally topped the school in my first year of high school. Well my mother didn't think it was lady like to be good at things like that so she made me take the courses that included Office work etc much to my discust, so I rebelled an didn't apply myself at all, I hated bookkeeping and shorthand etc. it just wasn't me, although I will say I do enjoy cooking and my hubby just loves his meals so I must be doing that part right.
The irony of it all thought is that my chosen occupation when I was working was just that very thing I hated the most, office work and receptionist for a large company with over 300 phones to take care of, and I actually loved the job and did quite well as I was told by my boss.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
:lol: Oh I know all about that, I have a zipper on my coat that keeps popping when I bend down to pick Scooby up and hubby says we are going to get that fixed once and for all and I say I can just fix it by doing just what you did Msloke and all is well again. The trouble is the coat is longish and when I bend if I happen to squat a bit that is when it busts open but other than that it still works fine.
I will say I am hopeless also with maps and directions though, and you would soon be calling me "wrong way" too

Since being here in the US I have become worse, and the awful thing is when we went back home for a trip to see the kids I had a hard time finding my way around Adelaide and I grew up there, so go figure that one out
Sometimes I wonder how I ever got to work and home again because if I had to take a different route due to road construction I would be lost without a doubt.

My brothers used to tell me I wouldn't be able to find my way out of a paper bag

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i'm getting there ...

[attachment=820:attachment]

things left to do

1) find magnetic latch to catch the door when it shuts
2) add the pressure fittings to the sides
3) stain
4) top coat

Attachments

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I can't wait to see it stained. It would look great left natural and just sealed with a poly coat if someone had light woods intheir house already. That wood is very nice, Joe. Beautiful design, too.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Ok Joe, Now you have to open a store. I love the work you do... the gate is so nice for the home... I know I will have to plance an order for when we move ...
and the ramp was amazing.

you go joe...

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
almost done, got the catch on today and the pressure thingies done, got it stained too, hopefully tommorow will be as pretty as today and i can top coat it

then i just got to figure out how to box this thing up to ship

1 - 20 of 38 Posts