Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Originally posted by Littlemans Mom@Apr 30 2005, 10:10 AM
OK, I read the article and no where in it, did I see that it said that the mother, who's needle it was, actually had aids to begin with(I could have missed it), and if she doesn't, then the needle would not have given it to the child   
  Then, also how do we know that the child did not already have aids? I'm not saying that what happened is not a horrible thing for all those students to go through, but there are pieces missing from the picture here 

This is.... part of the article.... that I copied .....to show what a DR. had to say...

However, in a phone interview, Dr. Neil Fishman, an expert in infectious diseases at the Hospital at the University of Pennsylvania, said that the child who tested positive for HIV could not have been infected by the needle with which he was stuck on Wednesday. Preliminary tests can yield false positives and further testing is required, said Marla Gold, dean of the Drexel University School of Public Health.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58288
[/QUOTE]
Right, it didn't say Mom had it. The positive HIV could be a false postive...hopefully this is hte case, or the kid could be HIV positive prior to the poking. My concern is infecting the children who were poked after the HIV positive boy was poked and spreading it to them from him that way. That is a very slim chance, but still definantely possible. We have to go through a whole routine if we would get a needle stick at the hospital, where we have to test the pt who had been stuck with the needle that a nurse accidently poked herself/himself with after it had gone into the pt. Then we have to have our blood tested, because it is a possible way to spread it. A lot of people get HIV through sharing needles, this isn't meaning just drug needles. There are diabetics who are very low on money who will share their insulin needles with each other(I hadn't realized this until we had a HIV nurse come speak with us, when I heard needle sharing, I always just thought it was through sharing street drugs)...this brings many pts into the clinic coming out positive for HIV. Hopefully it was just a false positive.

· Registered
4,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Originally posted by GirlieGirl@Apr 30 2005, 05:49 PM
*** ONE MORE THING..
Having Diabeties does not mean you are obese..far from it. There are people who are 100 pounds that are Diabetic. And they didnt ---CHOOSE TO BE DIABETIC
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58397
[/QUOTE]
Very true!
Yes being obese is a risk factor for developing type 2 diabetes, it does not mean it is chosen. Being diabetic puts u at higher risks for other health problems as well, I do not believe anyone "chooses" to be diabetic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.