Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
1,411 Posts
OK, I read the article and no where in it, did I see that it said that the mother, who's needle it was, actually had aids to begin with(I could have missed it), and if she doesn't, then the needle would not have given it to the child
Then, also how do we know that the child did not already have aids? I'm not saying that what happened is not a horrible thing for all those students to go through, but there are pieces missing from the picture here

This is.... part of the article.... that I copied .....to show what a DR. had to say...

However, in a phone interview, Dr. Neil Fishman, an expert in infectious diseases at the Hospital at the University of Pennsylvania, said that the child who tested positive for HIV could not have been infected by the needle with which he was stuck on Wednesday. Preliminary tests can yield false positives and further testing is required, said Marla Gold, dean of the Drexel University School of Public Health.

Me again..
Again, this is a scary thing for all parents to think about and I feel bad for everyone that has to go through this situation at that school. I am just holding out blame until I know some more about this. My heart goes out to all of them.

· Registered
7,668 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole+Apr 29 2005, 12:59 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-FannyMay
@Apr 29 2005, 10:35 AM
I would be pretty ticked at the teacher for letting this kid poke so many kids.  I mean come on, if you were a teacher and one of the kids brought a needle in for show and tell and started poking kids wouldn't you stop her after the first kid she poked?  Where was the teacher in all this?  The kid obviously didn't know any better but the teacher should have.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58013
Where in the news story did it say that the teacher let the student poke the kids??

Everyone is so quick to blame the teachers. Having taught 3rd grade, a lot goes on and you can't always watch/see everything. It's sad to say, but true.

Before we get all h*llbent on blaming the teacher, let's put some blames on the parent and the (gasp!) student!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58081
[/B][/QUOTE]

Having taught third grade for five years, they SHOULD know that it was wrong to poke one child-let alone 13 or whatever it was! They are definetely old enough to know about good/bad choices...unfortunately, this child made a very poor choice.

I would want to know whose idea it was to bring the kit with the needles to school, even for show/tell. Something like that should have been brought in by the responsible parent and kept in the teacher's hands until time for the presentation.

The way I understand it, I think several people are responsible in the scenario.

· Registered
1,411 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Apr 30 2005, 11:20 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 29 2005, 12:59 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-FannyMay
@Apr 29 2005, 10:35 AM
I would be pretty ticked at the teacher for letting this kid poke so many kids.  I mean come on, if you were a teacher and one of the kids brought a needle in for show and tell and started poking kids wouldn't you stop her after the first kid she poked?  Where was the teacher in all this?  The kid obviously didn't know any better but the teacher should have.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58013

Where in the news story did it say that the teacher let the student poke the kids??

Everyone is so quick to blame the teachers. Having taught 3rd grade, a lot goes on and you can't always watch/see everything. It's sad to say, but true.

Before we get all h*llbent on blaming the teacher, let's put some blames on the parent and the (gasp!) student!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58081

[/QUOTE]

Having taught third grade for five years, they SHOULD know that it was wrong to poke one child-let alone 13 or whatever it was! They are definetely old enough to know about good/bad choices...unfortunately, this child made a very poor choice.

I would want to know whose idea it was to bring the kit with the needles to school, even for show/tell. Something like that should have been brought in by the responsible parent and kept in the teacher's hands until time for the presentation.

The way I understand it, I think several people are responsible in the scenario.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58295
[/B][/QUOTE]

You are right, it seems that it happened during different times through the day. This is what it said happened:

District officials met with concerned parents Thursday night at Taylor Elementary School in North Philadelphia, where the 8-year-old stuck some students at the school's breakfast about 8:30 a.m. Wednesday and others in the classroom and at lunch.

So it happened in the morning at breakfast...then again in the classroom...then again in the lunchroom during lunch

· Registered
2,836 Posts
the mom doesnt have aids. one of the kids had aids. and yeah..sure its slim to get aids---but its not 100% that you wont get aids.

i blame the kid and the mom. even if it wasnt the moms needle---she should've taught her kid to stay away from needles.

personally...i dont blame the teachers----just because teachers arent there to play "mommy". they're there to teach. thats it.

and...i remember when i was in 6th grade. one of my friends had this battery thingy that shocked people. it hurt---he shocked me with it. and he shocked like 5 other people. its nothing near a needle---but the teacher didnt notice...cuz she was writing on the board--trying to teach us.

· Registered
28 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Apr 29 2005, 10:26 PM
i'd get that AID's infested needle and poke that girl in the eye.  i mean...how stupid can a little girl be???

and i agree with everyone else---i blame the mother!   if the mother chooses to be diabetic and chooses to have needles in her home....LOCK THEM UP!!  (well, if she wasnt obese....then she didnt choose to be diabetic---BUT STILL
)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58227
[/QUOTE]

Yes I read that correctly..my goodness let us 1st realize that we are speaking of a CHILD, yes wrong as she is she is still a CHILD. The adult or the person who is at fault is the Parent , Those are the people who decided to bring her into the world and CHOOSE to raise her with whatever discipline and values .

Even then, good parents of good childern do bad things. It happens ,and at that moment the child and or parent has to face the consiquinces .

Now with that said..hmm you want to POKE the child in the eye ..?
Now thats teaching her
!
I personally fault the mother for leaving somethin that is to be disposed of immediatly where a child of most age might become curious aboout it. Why this child decided to POKE anyone shocks me.

*** ONE MORE THING..
Having Diabeties does not mean you are obese..far from it. There are people who are 100 pounds that are Diabetic. And they didnt ---CHOOSE TO BE DIABETIC

· Registered
4,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Originally posted by Littlemans Mom@Apr 30 2005, 10:10 AM
OK, I read the article and no where in it, did I see that it said that the mother, who's needle it was, actually had aids to begin with(I could have missed it), and if she doesn't, then the needle would not have given it to the child   
  Then, also how do we know that the child did not already have aids? I'm not saying that what happened is not a horrible thing for all those students to go through, but there are pieces missing from the picture here 

This is.... part of the article.... that I copied .....to show what a DR. had to say...

However, in a phone interview, Dr. Neil Fishman, an expert in infectious diseases at the Hospital at the University of Pennsylvania, said that the child who tested positive for HIV could not have been infected by the needle with which he was stuck on Wednesday. Preliminary tests can yield false positives and further testing is required, said Marla Gold, dean of the Drexel University School of Public Health.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58288
[/QUOTE]
Right, it didn't say Mom had it. The positive HIV could be a false postive...hopefully this is hte case, or the kid could be HIV positive prior to the poking. My concern is infecting the children who were poked after the HIV positive boy was poked and spreading it to them from him that way. That is a very slim chance, but still definantely possible. We have to go through a whole routine if we would get a needle stick at the hospital, where we have to test the pt who had been stuck with the needle that a nurse accidently poked herself/himself with after it had gone into the pt. Then we have to have our blood tested, because it is a possible way to spread it. A lot of people get HIV through sharing needles, this isn't meaning just drug needles. There are diabetics who are very low on money who will share their insulin needles with each other(I hadn't realized this until we had a HIV nurse come speak with us, when I heard needle sharing, I always just thought it was through sharing street drugs)...this brings many pts into the clinic coming out positive for HIV. Hopefully it was just a false positive.

· Registered
4,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Originally posted by GirlieGirl@Apr 30 2005, 05:49 PM
*** ONE MORE THING..
Having Diabeties does not mean you are obese..far from it. There are people who are 100 pounds that are Diabetic. And they didnt ---CHOOSE TO BE DIABETIC
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58397
[/QUOTE]
Very true!
Yes being obese is a risk factor for developing type 2 diabetes, it does not mean it is chosen. Being diabetic puts u at higher risks for other health problems as well, I do not believe anyone "chooses" to be diabetic.

· Registered
2,836 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@Apr 29 2005, 08:26 PM
(well, if she wasnt obese....then she didnt choose to be diabetic---BUT STILL
)
[/QUOTE]

didnt i just say that if she wasnt obese...she didnt choose to be diabetic. i know a bunch of people that have type II diabetes because they chose to be obese.

and didnt i also say that i blame the mother? and the child?? should i quote that too?

when i was in 3rd grade...i knew the difference between right and wrong. i didnt need my mom to SPECIFICALLY tell me that i shouldnt poke people with needles.

you know what? i think we should find out if this girl was special Ed or something....then MAYBE i'd be a little bit nicer in this situation towards her.

· Registered
28 Posts
(well, if she wasnt obese....then she didnt choose to be diabetic---BUT STILL
)
didnt i just say that if she wasnt obese...she didnt choose to be diabetic. i know a bunch of people that have type II diabetes because they chose to be obese.

and didnt i also say that i blame the mother? and the child?? should i quote that too?

when i was in 3rd grade...i knew the difference between right and wrong. i didnt need my mom to SPECIFICALLY tell me that i shouldnt poke people with needles.

you know what? i think we should find out if this girl was special Ed or something....then MAYBE i'd be a little bit nicer in this situation towards her.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=58409
[/quote

Really you know people who CHOOSE to be obese ? Even though I personally havent had to go through this ,I do know that so many people who are obese wouldnt EVER have chose it.
It isnt as cut and dry as some may think, it's not like "just dont eat" or "just excersize." Yes it can be dealt with but it is an illness now being called a disease..

Or so many ignorant coments that people who are obese have heard.
I am sure that ther may people who just let them selves go, it may be a CHOICE to some but MANY people suffer from obesity and will AND have tryed anything to become healthy . I have never met one obese person who feels OBESITY was the LIFE they CHOOSE for themselves.

· Registered
2,836 Posts
yeah, losing weight is hard----but its POSSIBLE.

i think obese people make it easier by saying that obesity is a "disease".

just like those mothers with the 3 yr old child who is already 120 lbs....they say "obesity runs in my family...its a disease"

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.