Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
My dog is 2 and a half. I switched her to dehydrated raw at about 10 months of age. She was thrilled to death. : )

For past year or so I feed Lily dehydrated raw as main meals and use 4-Star Fromm grain free varieties of kibble for treats, to put in training ball for her to play with etc. The Fromms comes in a four or five pound bags, depending on flavor, and after two months throw out the balance because over time they do turn rancid (dog can detect the change but we cannot). A bag would otherwise last a LONG time being used as I use it. I also take a couple cups out at a time and put it in a sealed container, and leave the rest in the sealed original bag to try to preserve freshness. Flavor she loves the most of the many I have tried is their four star pea and pork variety. But I do rotate flavors. She does not like any fish flavor (won't eat after the novelty of the first day or two). A bag runs somewhere around $15 I think, and usually buy from Chewys online or from Amazon (I have free shipping with Prime).

I feed my dog dehydrated raw of the brand Stella and Chewy's for her breakfast and dinner. Is is usually her main food. I buy both the dehydrated raw patties or their dehydrated meal mixers (which is the same thing in a pellet type shape but has some different meat/fish choices). I alternate between a couple flavors at a time. Some of her favorites are the rabbit patties, lamb patties and the beef mixer). Because of being a small dog it is not so astronomically expensive as would be for a bit dog. I give her one patty (or the mixer equivalent) per meal. I would imagine it probably runs a bit under $30 per month.

Then now and again (maybe every other month) I will make her one of the homemade meals and freeze to make a bunch of different servings). I use the site of Just Food For Dogs, which has free recipes. That will be her one meal a day for a while when I go that route. Again, because of being a toy size breed one batch provides a lot of servings.

I also give her treats of boiled chicken breast (freeze in separate baggies) for training, green beans, little bit of yogurt, bits of apple, tiny bits of lettuce now and again.

I give her supplements of probiotic plant enzymes that come in a bottle of dried powder and every other day or so a little bit of coconut oil for dogs.

Because they eat so little compared to bigger dogs what seems so crazily expensive ends up not being so bad when one thinks of what it is per week because they eat such small servings. Again, though, of course one must be responsible within one's budget.

Linda

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Maybe in the future, I may switch my Sophie to dehydrated raw. For now, I'm she's on a diet of some dry food, veggies, fruits, and every so often, some table scraps (boiled/steamed chicken).
I think you're right about dogs knowing when their food goes rancid. She won't even take a nibble (unless its drenched in chicken/beef stock).
Any links to buy some of these yummy foods online?
My dog is 2 and a half. I switched her to dehydrated raw at about 10 months of age. She was thrilled to death. : )

For past year or so I feed Lily dehydrated raw as main meals and use 4-Star Fromm grain free varieties of kibble for treats, to put in training ball for her to play with etc. The Fromms comes in a four or five pound bags, depending on flavor, and after two months throw out the balance because over time they do turn rancid (dog can detect the change but we cannot). A bag would otherwise last a LONG time being used as I use it. I also take a couple cups out at a time and put it in a sealed container, and leave the rest in the sealed original bag to try to preserve freshness. Flavor she loves the most of the many I have tried is their four star pea and pork variety. But I do rotate flavors. She does not like any fish flavor (won't eat after the novelty of the first day or two). A bag runs somewhere around $15 I think, and usually buy from Chewys online or from Amazon (I have free shipping with Prime).

I feed my dog dehydrated raw of the brand Stella and Chewy's for her breakfast and dinner. Is is usually her main food. I buy both the dehydrated raw patties or their dehydrated meal mixers (which is the same thing in a pellet type shape but has some different meat/fish choices). I alternate between a couple flavors at a time. Some of her favorites are the rabbit patties, lamb patties and the beef mixer). Because of being a small dog it is not so astronomically expensive as would be for a bit dog. I give her one patty (or the mixer equivalent) per meal. I would imagine it probably runs a bit under $30 per month.

Then now and again (maybe every other month) I will make her one of the homemade meals and freeze to make a bunch of different servings). I use the site of Just Food For Dogs, which has free recipes. That will be her one meal a day for a while when I go that route. Again, because of being a toy size breed one batch provides a lot of servings.

I also give her treats of boiled chicken breast (freeze in separate baggies) for training, green beans, little bit of yogurt, bits of apple, tiny bits of lettuce now and again.

I give her supplements of probiotic plant enzymes that come in a bottle of dried powder and every other day or so a little bit of coconut oil for dogs.

Because they eat so little compared to bigger dogs what seems so crazily expensive ends up not being so bad when one thinks of what it is per week because they eat such small servings. Again, though, of course one must be responsible within one's budget.

Linda

·
Premium Member
19,981 Posts
Skip the little Ceasars all together. There are more healthy choices, even if you have to order on-line.

I make Dr. Harvey's....I make up a few large batches up every other week, put it in containers and freeze it. It's a dehydrated food, you just add hot water - let it sit for 10 minutes. Then add your protein..like Chicken, fish, beef, etc. and a bit of oil. It's a bit more time consuming than canned food, but way better for them. I use the Grain free fine. It's expensive, but hey, they're our kids. :innocent:

As for kibble, Fromm's is a good choice, or Natural Balance.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The little Ceasars has long gone.
My Sophie is now on a diet of home cooked/made meals + some Fromm kibble and she's loving it!
I like giving her some amount of dry food so that at least she'll have something to crunch on. Might as well take advantage of her strong teeth while we can. Plus, I notice if I give her wet food, she'll just swallow everything whole without chewing...:blink:

Skip the little Ceasars all together. There are more healthy choices, even if you have to order on-line.

I make Dr. Harvey's....I make up a few large batches up every other week, put it in containers and freeze it. It's a dehydrated food, you just add hot water - let it sit for 10 minutes. Then add your protein..like Chicken, fish, beef, etc. and a bit of oil. It's a bit more time consuming than canned food, but way better for them. I use the Grain free fine. It's expensive, but hey, they're our kids. :innocent:

As for kibble, Fromm's is a good choice, or Natural Balance.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts