Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea what happened lol...I ran a virus scan yesterday it was 0 but today my computer was freaking out there were 47 viruses!! I wasnt going ot weird web sites or downloading stuff its jsut so weird. I have to totally clear my computer and restore it, I saved some important files on a disk before i cleared the computer but now I have no idea how to get my setting back to how I had them. I can hardly read anything on teh screen before the font is so small lol. I am using Norton Antivirus and I am really not happy with them right now it could not delete a single virus it just told me they were there
and now because i cleared the computer they are saying I dont have a subscription and I have to pay them after the 90 trial. Do any of you use something else I should try?

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I don't want to scare you, but Norton crashed my hard drive when I did an update. Since then I have learned that Norton is notorious for that. I had Norton Internet Security installed. Since my computer was already 3-1/2 years old I bought a new computer. But no more Internet Security, I am now using Windows XP firewall. And the guy who build the computer for me installed the professionnal version of Norton anti-virus. Earthlink is also scanning the mail for viruses and I have not had one reaching my computer since they do that.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
We use McAfee Internetsecuritysuite. We have had it a year now. Our comuter crashed when we tried to re-install an anti-virus last year. Something about we were installing over one that was already there. I don't know. I just know we immediately lost everything.
We re-booted it using our Windows start-up disk. About the only positive thing about it was that our computer was 3 or 4 years old and it erased everything so it ran like new again! HA! It was like a FREE new computer! It stunk to have to re-set up email and all that junk.

Anyway, I feel for ya.
My sister's just crashed too with BUNCHES of trojans. Something her husband went to or clicked on...I didn't really understand it.
She had to re-set all of hers too and get new internal stuff. It cost her big bucks-her anti-virus stuff didn't help her either.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
We use Panda Titanium for anti-virus, and we think it's outstanding. For a firewall, we use ZoneAlarm. We've had no problems or issues. Back when we had Norton, it seemed to hang the system up more than it helped.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright thanks I might try McAfee just becuase thats one I have heard of. I ended up using the system restore disk so my computer is like brand new now lol I keep getting all thes elittle windows opening telling me how to wokr my computer
I really need to figure out how the make the text on the screen bigger though I am really having trouble reading it....and these are brand new glasses.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
If it's the text on your desktop that you want bigger, you can do that by going to Control Panel and then Display. Before installing a new anti-virus program, make sure you don't have one already installed. You cannot install one on top of the other or next to another. They will conflict.
I re-read your post, are you sure those 47 things were virus ? I am inclined to think they were spyware and Norton cannot delete all spyware. You need a special program to get rid of spyware like Spy Sweeper.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Apr 18 2005, 09:29 AM
If it's the text on your desktop that you want bigger, you can do that by going to Control Panel and then Display. Before installing a new anti-virus program, make sure you don't have one already installed. You cannot install one on top of the other or next to another. They will conflict.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53692
[/QUOTE]

That is what happened to us!
It was awful!

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
I love my Norton Anti-Virus 2005. It has to be on "Auto-Protect" and "Email-Scan" to catch things coming in. Then set it to scan the computer at least once a week for anything that could get missed coming in. It's never found a virus because they were blocked coming in. It causes me no problems, I run Auto-Update everyday, plus go to thier website and manually check for the date on the lastest virus definitions. The Auto-Udate usually only adds new definitions every Wednesday. If there are newer ones available, you can run their "Intelligent" updater manually. They add new ones almost every day. I had Zone Alarm for firewall until SP2 came out with a firewall in WinXP. Now I use the WinXP one with Norton SystemWorks, which includes the Anti-Virus. Then I have 2 "Ad-Ware/SpyWare" detection programs I run every couple of days.

Norton might be perfect, but I had McAfee and had nothing but trouble several years ago. Everything has changed since then. With my current Dell setup (and the computer before this) Norton has been great.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Apr 18 2005, 09:29 AM
I re-read your post, are you sure those 47 things were virus ? I am inclined to think they were spyware and Norton cannot delete all spyware. You need a special program to get rid of spyware like Spy Sweeper.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53692
[/QUOTE]

I just figured out how to make th stuff bigger on my screen, I had to like change the resolution though so I think I had done it differnt before. It was 47 viruses I have spybot for spyware, had over 100 of those lol but spybot got rid of them all.

Originally posted by Frosty's Mom@Apr 18 2005, 01:59 PM
I love my Norton Anti-Virus 2005.  It has to be on "Auto-Protect" and "Email-Scan" to catch things coming in. Then set it to scan the computer at least once a week for anything that could get missed coming in.  It's never found a virus because they were blocked coming in. It causes me no problems, I run Auto-Update everyday, plus go to thier website and manually check for the date on the lastest virus definitions. The Auto-Udate usually only adds new definitions every Wednesday. If there are newer ones available, you can run their "Intelligent" updater manually. They add new ones almost every day. I had Zone Alarm for firewall until SP2 came out with a firewall in WinXP. Now I use the WinXP one with Norton SystemWorks, which includes the Anti-Virus. Then I have 2 "Ad-Ware/SpyWare" detection programs I run every couple of days.

Norton might be perfect, but I had McAfee and had nothing but trouble several years ago. Everything has changed since then. With my current Dell setup (and the computer before this) Norton has been great.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53782
[/QUOTE]

What happened was norton was popping up messages telling me a virus had just infected my computer but they could not stop it or delete it. It was so frustrating becuase I ekpt getting all of these popups from the viruses and spyware the i had to keep clicking out of (ended up just unplugging my dsl thing) but one top of that I was getting just about as many windows from norton letting me know more viruses had just infected my computer.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Norton has been great to me also until this year. My subscription expired on August 2004 and instead of just buying a new subscription I bought the new Internet Security 2005. Since then, everything went slower on my computer and this year on a weekly update it crashed my hard drive. I cannot tell you more. Just want to make all of you aware of it because since then I learned that Norton is notorious for that.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
The company I work for has used Norton and McAffee in the past and have been very dissatified with them. We get tons of viruses. Nortona and McAffee would miss a lot of them. We have been very satisfied with AVG. It would find all of the viruses that Norton and McAffee missed. They also come out with new virus definitions every day or so. The best part is that it is free and it is just as good if not better then norton and mcaffee.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Apr 18 2005, 02:53 PM
The company I work for has used Norton and McAffee in the past and have been very dissatified with them.  We get tons of viruses.  Nortona and McAffee would miss a lot of them.  We have been very satisfied with AVG.  It would find all of the viruses that Norton and McAffee missed.  They also come out with new virus definitions every day or so.  The best part is that it is free and it is just as good if not better then norton and mcaffee.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53804
[/QUOTE]

Free? I like free lol. How would I get AVG? Cant you get it for a home computer or only companys?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521+Apr 19 2005, 05:30 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Apr 18 2005, 02:53 PM
The company I work for has used Norton and McAffee in the past and have been very dissatified with them.  We get tons of viruses.  Nortona and McAffee would miss a lot of them.  We have been very satisfied with AVG.  It would find all of the viruses that Norton and McAffee missed.  They also come out with new virus definitions every day or so.  The best part is that it is free and it is just as good if not better then norton and mcaffee.
Free? I like free lol. How would I get AVG? Cant you get it for a home computer or only companys?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54254
[/B][/QUOTE]
The home user version is free. Go to this website AVG Free Edition

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Apr 20 2005, 07:54 AM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 19 2005, 05:30 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Apr 18 2005, 02:53 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54254

[/QUOTE]
The home user version is free. Go to this website AVG Free Edition
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54389
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks I will try that for sure.

·
Registered
71 Posts
We also AVG not only is it free its the best one there is. I go out and fix friends computers and the amount of times I have taken Nortons off and put on AVG would make me rich if I was charging for it. LOL
You will find that Nortons slows down your system as well.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It didnt work when I tried to load it. It downloading normal but then when it tried to install it said some files were corrupt and to try and redownload it....I did like 3 times but it wouldnt work, did I do something wrong?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Lily have you uninstalled Your old virus scanner first, but installing AVG.
Do you have a programe called regcleaner. If uninstall any antivirus progs and then run regclean. Then try reinstalling AVG.
If that doesnt work try downloading AvG from another site.

·
Registered
71 Posts
OOooooops

Lily have you uninstalled Your old virus scanner first, BEFORE installing AVG.
Do you have a programe called regcleaner. If uninstall any antivirus progs and then run regclean. Then try reinstalling AVG.
If that doesnt work try downloading AvG from another site.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts