Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I am just wondering how everyone's little furbabies cope with the fireworks on 4th July celebrations.
Scooby is absolutely horrified of the loud explosions and pants and shakes uncontrollably. He demands to be held the entire time and wraps himself around our neck and hangs on for dear life, and his little eyes are open so wide I fear they will pop right out of their sockets.
I know there is nothing we can do to avoid the celebrations, and nowhere we can go to get away from the noise as it is nation wide so we just have to do the best we can to make sure our little furkids are reassured that nothing is going to harm them. We have decided this year to go with a mild tranquilizer supplied by our vet who agrees that it isn't good for Scooby to be so terrified and in such a state for the duration of the celebrations. I am wondering what everyone else does to help their little ones through the noise.
Our biggest problem is we live quite close to the park here in town where they have a huge display of fireworks and the noise is terrible. We usually go downstairs to the basement as it is a little less frightening for Scooby there. We can't do much else.
In spite of all of this and being an Aussie, I do want to wish all my American friends a Happy and safe 4th of July.

·
Registered
249 Posts
People in our neighborhood have already been letting some off (fireworks that is)
and I keep telling Harley"firecrackers it's ok" and he is doing fine.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well Scooby had no fear of anything until his very first 4th July. There were a few going off in the days preceding the 4th and he wasn't phased at all, till he got a fright. We went out for a drive on the 4th, his first, we came home and he wanted to go potty before coming inside so I let him go out the side of the house and just as he was about to go poop there was a huge loud explosion and he got such a fright. He blamed me for a long time for that and was too frightened to go out the door for the rest of the night. Ever since that event he has a problem with both fireworks and thunder storms and he always went to hubby for reassurance because he related it all to me for being there with him when that happened. He is over that part of it now and comes to me now as well. There was a fireworks display here in town for Rememberence Day and I spent the night in the basement with him. Hubby slept through it upstairs as he went to bed early that night, I think being a Vietnam Veteran he was a little down and thinking about things, so sleep was the best thing for him. The fireworks ended at 10pm but it took Scooby most of the night to settle down and relax.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
well last year my bf and I took kodie to see fireworks... we went close to the Atlantic city firework show and Kodie was fine. He didnt even notice the sound.. haha

in honor of this special day...

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
i think Sampson cold care less if he rode one of them up and parachuted back down, noise doesnt bother him, Maggie doesnt like loud noises, thundering or loud booms you can usually find her under my feet or in Kim's lap

on retrospect I can also see Sampson tucking his tail between his leg and run sceaming like a school girl back to daddy (just imagining this as i could see a firework set off behind him without his knowledge)

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I have to admit the timing of that loud explosion couldn't have been better because it litterally scared the [email protected]*p out of him and the job was done in record time.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I'm so glad I saw this post. I was planning on taking Bella with me to see some fireworks this weekend and then I remembered that her last experience with fireworks made her sick. Now I'm a little stressed cause we live in a neighborhood where people are fireworks crazy. My poor baby's in for quite a weekend!

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
This will be Ruby Jeans first --so I have no idea how she will react. I'm thinking of just keeping her inside though--we'll watch animal planet or something and turn the volume up!!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
This will be Catcher's first 4th of July with me but Kallie barks and runs around like crazy every time someone sets off a firework. I do not look forward to it.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Tuffy doesn't care much. He didn't even notice hearing them last 4th so I doubt he'll care this time. The only things that really set him off are things that sound like someone knocking on the door.. so as long as we don't hear fireworks like that we should be ok. Pixie doesn't seem to mind loud noise either, we went through a really loud scary thunderstorm once and she didn't even notice it.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
This will be Rex's first 4th of July too! He barks at noises and we live in a pretty noisy neighborhood that has also been shooting off fireworks. I dont think he will do anything other than bark nonstop.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This will be Duke's first as well...
Noise doesn't seem to bother him so I'm not too worried. He was taking a nap earlier and I needed to run the vacuum - I decided to go ahead and he didn't even flinch!
He must have been really pooped!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts