Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my husband took my 18 weeks old boy to the vet today to check on the scab he has on his belly since it hasn't heal after 7 days of antibiotics. The vet took some sample to test and while they were there, the vet also suggested him to get another round of DHPP, so husband agreed and did it as he isn't very up-to-date on the puppy's vaccination record. And now i'm very scared cause he already had 3 sets of DHPP! And today they gave him a 4th one! He had one when he was 9 weeks old at the breeder's vet and the 2nd set at my vet at 12 weeks old and 3rd set at this same vet at 15 weeks. I'm very upset and scared, is there anything I should be watching for now? Would this 4th set hurt him in any way?

·
Premium Member
10,616 Posts
Don't worry, but do keep an eye on him. My vet also wanted to do a fourth set, but I declined. If I remember correctly that was standard procedure not so long ago, and my dogs never suffered. But, don't let them talk you into boosters in one year. I won't even titer after only one year, because those vaccines are effective for much longer. Of course, you can have titers done, if you want to be certain.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't worry, but do keep an eye on him. My vet also wanted to do a fourth set, but I declined. If I remember correctly that was standard procedure not so long ago, and my dogs never suffered. But, don't let them talk you into boosters in one year. I won't even titer after only one year, because those vaccines are effective for much longer. Of course, you can have titers done, if you want to be certain.
Thanks Sylie! That helps a lot!

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
Yes, it could hurt him, but it probably won't. It makes me mad that vets do this though because over-vaccination is serious and they should not be doing it randomly and I see it far too often. Their immune systems do not need to be battered with excessive shots.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts