Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well i'm getting a FEMALE maltese puppy and shes selling her for 600 dollars... of course i don't think its a lot but my dad does and hes the one buying her for my birthday........ i say its not alot because out of all the places i've searched the puppys were like 1,000s of dollars!and 600 is good right?? what do yall think?

also.... how much did yall get yalls for??

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I got my Oliver for 325$. I will say that he didn't come from a fancy breeder though. Some people will say you get what you pay for...but I love my baby...even if he isn't "show" quality and he may have a sneer and his ears are crooked

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Triste@Apr 10 2005, 12:45 PM
I got my Oliver for 325$.  I will say that he didn't come from a fancy breeder though. Some people will say you get what you pay for...but I love my baby...even if he isn't "show" quality and he may have a sneer and his ears are crooked 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51133
[/QUOTE]

humm......THATS A GOOD DEAL... do u live in texas.... lol

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
umm...no.
I live in Indiana and got my Oliver in Ohio(we live near the border). If people only kept their perfect human babies, our population in this world would dwindle down majorly....My baby is perfect to me.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
puppy_luv4life,

No, I don't think its too much for a maltese. In fact, I think its too little. Maltese puppies are normally very expensive. And I think its important to buy from a great breeder to minimize the problems you will have later on with health or behavior issues. I know that you really want a puppy, but puppies are expensive and if they are sold cheaply, its likely that they will have expensive problems later on. We bought our little boy for only $900 but he now needs surgery that will cost $3,000.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by okw@Apr 10 2005, 01:13 PM
puppy_luv4life,

No, I don't think its too much for a maltese.  In fact, I think its too little. Maltese puppies are normally very expensive.  And I think its important to buy from a great breeder to minimize the problems you will have later on with health or behavior issues.  I know that you really want a puppy, but puppies are expensive and if they are sold cheaply, its likely that they will have expensive problems later on.  We bought our little boy for only $900 but he now needs surgery that will cost $3,000.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51137
[/QUOTE]

what happened??? i got the info from a freind... she bought 3 maltese from the lady i'm planing to get my $600 one and shes had them for about a year and no problems had accord but... u never know....

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by Triste@Apr 10 2005, 02:34 PM
I am going to back out of this discussion now as I have strong feelings about this. Take care ya'll!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51141
[/QUOTE]

Triste,

I hope you are not offended. I feel upset by all we have to deal with our dog and I blame his breeder for it. I never meant it as a personal attack. I just hate putting my baby though surgery for a genetic cause that could have been prevented if only the breeder was more responsible.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I have a Maltese/Bichon -Bailey and a Maltese- Kirbie.I didnt pay over $1000.00 for either of them .I also have a Maltese- Lamby,who I have no idea what she cost as she is a rescue.Although The lady that rescued her and I susspect she came from the higher Maltese lines.
You just have to understand that sometimes not always that the more you pay seems to indecate that the lines have been breed better to rule out health problems.Although I know thats not always true,sometimes ones that have been very expensive also have health issues.I guess what Im trying to say is,do your research on the breed and know the health issues and then buy what you can afford.As long as you are aware that there might be health problems down the road, that may cost you alot of money.
I love all my babies and think everyone will do the best for their's. No matter if its a junkyard dog or one that has a long pedigree.You just need to be aware of all the pros and cons.
Good luck with your puppy should you get her and keep us all posted.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
This surely has to be #1 most volitile subject we talk about here on SM. I think people can easily be offended when no offense is meant. This forum is an opportunity for us to share ideas and educate each other. Obviously we all love our babies dearly, no matter what they look like or how close or far they are from the breed standard. That really is not the point. The point is that buying a Maltese should not be taken lightly. Money saved now will likely result in more money spent (on medical bills) later. There is a lot more to purchasing a Maltese than meets the eye.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I would suggest that you read and read and read this board before you buy any puppy. See the types of experiences that people have had with maltese and pay special attention to the health and care requirements. After you've done lots of reading, if you still want a maltese then begin your search. While it may be true that you don't have to spend thousands of dollars for a puppy, it is also NOT the time to try and save money. There are lots of discussions about where to buy puppies, but my opinion is that the quality of your breeder is a lot more important than the price that you have to pay. It may take a while to find a breeder that will meet your price requirements AND provide the type of breeding experience that will produce healthy puppies. This is really important. If your dad thinks that the cost of the puppy is high, what will you do if your puppy ends up needing a big surgery, or lifelong medical attention due to a congenital health condition? Please go slowly and do a LOT of research.

Good luck with your search....there are lots of people here who can help you with specific questions.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Um, we got ours for 1000.
But we knew that he was the one and we had to get him. So he really turned out to be the one.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
The price doesn't determine the quality of a puppy. Unlike material goods, more expensive doesn't mean better. You can pay $300 and have a perfect pet or you can pay $3000 and have a perfect pet. You can also pay $3000 and have a terrible sickly pet or $300 and have a poor quality pet.

It is about doing the research and learning about the breeder. You have to learn to understand the home where they are coming from.

I wanted specific lines with specific looks. I was willing to pay a little more to get that. I paid $1200 for Cookie (the breeder discounted from $1500 because I was a student and didn't have enough). Nibbler was $1500. Sparkle was more because she is a show potential with full registration but I have a special arrangement with the breeder.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
As I said, I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone (and I did apologize to Triste). My knee jerk reaction now is to say what K/C's mom and Msmagnolia said...which is that buying a puppy shouldn't be about saving money. I didn't know this when we were looking and I just thought that if I warn someone else (now that I do know), I would be doing somebody a favor. I hope that no one else reading my posts will take offense either. I am sure plenty of people paid less than $1000 and haven't had problems. However, I am also certain that there are lots of people like me out there (who paid less than $1000 and are having problems and who are not posting and who I see at the vets offices with pets with problems).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by okw@Apr 10 2005, 03:12 PM
As I said, I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone (and I did apologize to Triste).  My knee jerk reaction now is to say what K/C's mom and Msmagnolia said...which is that buying a puppy shouldn't be about saving money.  I didn't know this when we were looking and I just thought that if I warn someone else (now that I do know), I would be doing somebody a favor.  I hope that no one else reading my posts will take offense either.  I am sure plenty of people paid less than $1000 and haven't had problems.  However, I am also certain that there are lots of people like me out there (who paid less than $1000 and are having problems and who are not posting and who I see at the vets offices with pets with problems).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51166
[/QUOTE]

is it a SERIOSE problem?? ..... did you see where they were keeping there maltese and talk with the breeder face to face and ask her questions such as... Is there a genitec desise? ect.... and make sure they're not lying and they have a safe puuppy invorment where they keep the puppys((which should be in the house)) ........... it think when i go and see her and talk to her in person and meet the puppys i will know .......

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
The more I read the more I am inclined NOT to buy another dog after Alex. THERE IS NO GARANTY that your puppy will be disease free either way, reputable breeder or back yard breeder. I paid 400 $ for him. And I cannot really complain about Alex's health. He is almost 8 years old and has not had a major illness. Most of my vet bills go to prevention. His ruptured cruciate ligament surgery was more due to him climbing the baby gate and running crazy along the fence when the neighboors dogs are out then to his luxating patella. Luxating patella is very common in small breeds and a lot of them are not affected by it. All those so called reputable breeders asking for astronomical prices for their puppies are part of the problem that puppy mills can exist and make money. What are poor people to do if they want a dog ? Are dogs only for rich people ? We are part of the problem too, agreeing to pay such prices for PET dogs. Sorry if I offend some people here.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
In my humble opinion, I don't think that purchasing a life-long companion (or for the next 12-17 years) is something that I want to look for the best value in... I feel that the investment you make today makes a difference where a breeder has been careful in choosing the breeding program, DNA testing, and making sure that serious defects are not being passed on to the next generation. When all careful breeding is a part of the breeder's program, the cost of the puppy will go up too - as it will cost breeder money to ensure a certain standard.

A lot of us here on SM have chosen our kids very carefully and in exchange, paid a good bit of money for our kids too. However, every one of us will tell you that our kids are worth every cent of that big check.

If your father is reluctant to pay $600 for the puppy, how will he be when the time comes to pay that $2k vet bill in case the puppy has problems? Food for thought... Imagine how heart broken you will be if the puppy needs to be put to sleep because of health problems and (im just assuming here) you don't have the money to pay for it yourself and your parents don't want to pay. I held off getting a dog until I am stable on my own because I know that my father would never consider paying medical procedures over 1K for an animal.

Whatever decision you come to, I wish you lots of luck and happiness

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by Paris'Mom@Apr 10 2005, 03:40 PM
If your father is reluctant to pay $600 for the puppy, how will he be when the time comes to pay that $2k vet bill in case the puppy has problems?  Food for thought...  Imagine how heart broken you will be if the puppy needs to be put to sleep because of health problems and (im just assuming here) you don't have the money to pay for it yourself and your parents don't want to pay.  I held off getting a dog until I am stable on my own because I know that my father would never consider paying medical procedures over 1K for an animal. 

Whatever decision you come to, I wish you lots of luck and happiness 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=51175
[/QUOTE]

i dout my dad (knowing him) will make the dog be put to sleep becuase of the high pet bill but you never know... i think he'll find a way for me to pay it off weather it be LOTS AND LOTS of never ending chores or earning the money or doing who knows what he'll come up with but thats just what i think.....

after i told him that it was a pretty good deal and that most are 1000s of $s he was still iffy and then i showd and told him about the posts on this decusion fourm and he was like "well... i'll talk to your mom" and my mom wants me to get the dog so i bet she'll talk him into it....... anyways.... i understand fully thats the puppy is MY COMPLETE resposability and they know i do and i would do anything to help her and NOTHING to hurt her........ so....... I've done and doing LOTS of research!! and one sight said of there making/wanting you to pay 100s of $s for it then there not worth it and also there is no such thing as tea cut malteses and not to buy one if the breeder calls them that.... just a little edvise..... lol...... TTYL! buh bi!

1 - 20 of 152 Posts