Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just got a pup who is 7 weeks old, he only drinks cow’s milk and is not eating kibble which is mixed with warm water at all. Even if hand fed, he spits it out! Please help!

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I was rather surprised to see that anyone who is a conscientious Breeder would let you purchase a Puppy under 12 weeks of age. The normal age for any Puppy to be purchased is at least 12 weeks old. If you have not yet already, please consult your Vet and be very mindful of getting some Nutrical since little ones at that age could certainly have some serious problems. As far as your Puppy not eating, and spitting out his/her food, you might consider switching to another type of Puppy Food. I am sure that others who see you post might weigh in to your question as well,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was rather surprised to see that anyone who is a conscientious Breeder would let you purchase a Puppy under 12 weeks of age. The normal age for any Puppy to be purchased is at least 12 weeks old. If you have not yet already, please consult your Vet and be very mindful of getting some Nutrical since little ones at that age could certainly have some serious problems. As far as your Puppy not eating, and spitting out his/her food, you might consider switching to another type of Puppy Food. I am sure that others who see you post might weigh in to your question as well,
He drinks milk. Is that fine?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi, cows milk or any milk gives puppies
cow's milk can cause uncomfortable gastrointestinal malaise in puppies, from diarrhea to tummy ache.. maybe that’s why your baby is not eating. Poor thing must feel awful. I am not a vet but I think it’s warranted to call your vet and ask what the best protocol to get your baby eating. Hope others see your post. But I would certainly be on the phone calling. Hope your baby feels better soon!

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
10,047 Posts
Ask your vet about Esbilac. 7 weeks is really young for a Maltese. Maltese have issues with hypoglycemia as young pups if you are not careful about their diet. Some dogs do better on goats milk than cows milk. But your pup needs to have a vet look him over, there could be a health issue that needs to be addressed.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,939 Posts
I am just wondering where you live? I know different countries offer different products. In the US a good breeder lets her pups go at a minimum of 12 weeks. Please stay w/SM so you can get the advice & help you need for this little one. Do see a vet ASAP.
Welcome to SM---I wish you all the best!

·
Super Moderator
10,321 Posts
At 7 weeks a Maltese puppy is barely weaned which you are now finding out. Please consult a vet about supplements - milk is not a good choice.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi,
Like others have pointed out your puppy’s still too young and you should visit the vet.
As for advice, I’d suggest wetting the kibble and mashing it and then trying to hand feed the puppy to see if he prefers it.
I have a fussy eater myself, I had to try several types of food (from home cooked to frozen foods) and brands till she finally found something she liked.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mix with some soft veggies and gradually remove the veggies or soft beef on the kibble. You should act now since my first poodle wasn't eating kibble at all and it was really hard for me to train him t oeat it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts