Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I don't have any ideas...but I feel your frustration!
I am SO glad that Brinkley caught on quickly. I am not very patient with the accident issue...(when it is not my fault).
Brinkley has had more accidents this past week that he has in a long time. I think he is training ME. He has decided that if he wets on the pad once, he doesn't want to wet on it again. For the most part, that is fine...but sometimes hard to keep up with. Also, expensive. But, I think I am going to try switching to the depends pads from the health and beauty section. They have the kind that you put on beds for people, and supposedly you can buy them at Sam's for ALOT in a box, and not much money. I May try those.

Anyway-I am thinking about you.
How is Wally? You would think with another to watch, that Toby would catch on quicker?

·
Registered
25 Posts
My basset hound was very similar. She just didn't catch on to the going outside to do your duty thing. I guess she was almost two before she was officially housebroken. I think that some dogs are just stubborn. I'm sure you are not doing anything wrong. Just be patient, he'll figure it out. Good luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oh, I forgot to add one more thing. When Deliah starts to go potty in the house, if I catch her in the act I pick her up and say "NO NO" and then I take her outside to finish. This has been working for me. Maybe when you bring your baby inside you should keep a close eye on him so you can catch him before he actually goes. Again, good luck and let us know how things go!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Not sure exactly how a dog thinks...
but, maybe if he hates the leash so badly and figures out that he is having to wear it because of the potty issue, that he will finally get the idea and it will "click" with him.

Maybe if/when he does go outside, take the leash off of him and put it back on when he has another accident, or starts to have another accident. I hate that he hates his leash, and that he will start to associate it with punishment thought. That is the only bad thing. Do you leash him for other purposes when you take him places? If not, it shouldn't matter that much anyway. But, the association of "messing in the house" = "having to wear the leash" may do it for him.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I think the leash thing is fine. I could have sworn I saw someone say their dog didnt like the leash and would sit still, but their dog trainer said to drag them anyway and eventually, they'll learn to follow.

Definitely, when you take him outside, don't let him in unless he goes. Esp. if you get his eating and pooping habits down, and you KNOW he goes at so and so time, don't let them in unless they potty.

And if all else fails, hey, I hope you live in an area where it does get cold in the winter time. They dont want to stay outside for long AT ALL. They'll be all shivering and wanting so badly to go in. You keep motivating him to potty outside and don't let him in until he does everything you want...he'll come around

I'm in the same boat with you! You are NOT ALONE! I'm sure it's my fault. Cloud's my first pup EVER and I kept changing my mind. I train them inside, then out side, then both. And now I wish I only trained them outside. I TOTALLY SUCK.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Sep 24 2004, 12:33 PM
Any ideas?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=9921
[/QUOTE]

Yep, really understanding your frustration!

Maybe you should try restricting his area in the house? I know it feels mean, but giving him less space to make a mess might help.

Also, and of course this is only my suggestion - you don't have to take any notice, but I wouldn't stay outside so long with him. If he hasn't gone to the toilet in 5-10 mins then bring him back inside and put him in his crate. As far as his crate goes, you could make it so that his bed makes up most of the room, and the bit left over, put a water bowl and maybe a dish with some little biscuits in it. He shouldn't go to the toilet where he eats or sleeps.... or is he doing that??

One other thing - if he is associating "want to go potty" with having fun outside, then maybe you should change the phrase for going to the toilet. Put him on his lead (as much as he hates it) and maybe not let Wally come out at the same time. Don't let it be fun at all. Say something like "Need to go toilet?", put the lead on and take him to one place. Keep taking him there and do the usual repeating of "go toilet". If he hasn't gone take him in and put him in his crate, wait five mins (if he isn't holding in that ten mins - and maybe watch him to correct him if he does go in there) and repeat.....

Hope something in there is useful, but I definitely recommend changing the phrase for going potty.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Sounds like it working then!

I don't know, but maybe IF it became a problem, you could swap from a harness to a collar - but I'm sure it'll be fine. It might just be a case or retraining with the harness - ie going through the whole stage of letting him run free on the harness before putting a lead on etc etc...

But I wouldn't worry about that until the house-breaking is under control! LOL

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
are you sure the harness is comfortable for him? i used to have an "x-small" for sprite, and now she's on a "small", and it seems to work a little better and she seems a little more comfortable. if toby really hates the leash and it seems to be hindering him, i would take time--like everyhour, and just play with him and wally with the ball or toy. and let him drag the leash around and run...but just keep a really really good eye on him. i read the leash thing in one of the books i have...and it just seems like the easiest thing to do. i did it with gruffi for a while too. and have you seen toby try peeing or pooing in the house? because maybe its the action of stopping him from doing it in the house and dragging him to the yard that will make him understand what you want. but i have no idea. i'm glad he has had accidents yet.
another idea that i got from a trainer is restricting water in-take also. i feel a little bad about that (especially since wally is well trained), but thats another idea. maybe even an alternative from the leash.
keep giving updates.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I took Tini and Milo to my mom's hair salon the other day and one of her clients came up to me and was all GOO-GOO over the two... she was like I had a Maltese, I loved her but it took me 5 YEARS before she was totally potty trained. I WAS HORRIFIED!!!!!!!!!!!!! 5 years??? I hope I'm not on that path with Tini. She is doing so well with her litter box training... the only thing is I feel like whenever she gets mad at me for leaving her alone in the room see pees a little tiny bit (the size of a quarter)... I feel like I keep jinxing myself because everytime someone asks how it's going I'm like GREAT!, and then we go home and she has a little accident (her only one of the day)... it's just frustrating.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Spray it in any areas that he has previously gone in. I haven't used it on furniture, but my guess would be to spray it on it. If he does go clean up the mess and spray Nature's Miracle on the spot. I usually use a lot. So it is really wet. I then leave it to dry.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Sep 29 2004, 04:13 PM
I finally went and bought some Nature's Miracle today, so I am going to use it all over the house.  How do you use it exactly?  I have a spray bottle, so should I spray the entire floor with it?  Will that be effective?  And like how do you use it on stuff like furniture?  Do you spray it or pour it?  I mean couldn't pouring ruin your couch?  Thanks!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=10332
[/QUOTE]

The only furniture I have used it on is the bed/mattress...once. I poured it on and let it sit/dry...then flipped the mattress... :ph34r:

When I use it on the carpet...I have a squeeze bottle...like a sports/water bottle that I put it in...and I SOAK the carpet spot with it. It is WET!
Then i put a chair or stool over it so nobody steps in the wet...(that makes hubby really mad when he does that!)...and let it dry. It says it is supposed to be wet and air dry for the enzymes to work.

Maybe NOT using the natures miracle or something like it has contributed to his "delay"...I bought some right at the very first and used it every time. I only use it for "wet" accidents though. "poos" I just clean with anti-bacterial wipes b/c they don't really leave a spot anyway since they are so hard.

Good luck. Maybe you should try one of the black lights to try and find all the old spots. I have heard varying reports as to their effectiveness...but might be worth a try.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts