Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi SM! I brought home my darling Massimo in August of 2020 and we have been thick as thieves ever since. I just adore him and he makes me laugh every single day. Do you have any advice on bringing a second Malt into our family? How do you know if it’s a good move-or if your existing dog would tolerate a new addition? I’d like for Massimo to have a buddy but I’m not sure how he would do in terms of sharing attention. Any advice would be appreciated!
Dog Plant Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
18,177 Posts
Call me careless or non-imaginative but I never thought about whether or not Kitzi would accept Lisi. It was more about my husband wanting to add a little girl pup to our family. I had no need of another dog---Kitzi was enough---granted he was devoted to me as most males are to female owners. But I love my husband so I said "sure." That was it. Full stop. We waited for what seemed a long time for Lisi (it wasn't) & twice post-poned her delivery so that she first came to us at 5 months. (Kitzi had double patella surgery during this time so that explains the delay). Initially due to his confinement to a stroller for 12 weeks of recovery he hated Lisi---we just rolled w/it & eventually the two hit it off & the rest is history. They are TOTALLY bonded!
We don't ask the first sibling if they want a brother or sis when we add a human to the family so I find it a bit "strange" that we make that such an issue. IF you want another pup add one & your two will work it out. Full stop!
:)

Reactions: Prash Yangescu

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
I think so much depends on why you want a second dog, and how their personalities mesh.

My story: I got a second dog because my first dog as an adult, Penny, who was probably about 6 months old when I got her, had to be home alone a lot (I went to evening classes and worked intermittently), and she seemed lonely and bored and got destructive to entertain herself. I knew from our walks that she was friendly towards other dogs. So a few months later, I adopted another one from the SPCA who was about 50 percent bigger than her, and older. She was a very nice dog, but the new dog found my excited little one annoying instead of fun. I could see it was not going to work out, so I took her back the next day. A little later I got a smaller dog, a very sweet, skinny stray. My Penny adored her, they got along well, and I felt like a third wheel. Penny didn't look at me for months, her eyes constantly fixed on her dear Susie. lol After a few years, Penny calmed down but Susie did not, so I played with Susie while Penny watched indulgently.

I advocate for rescue and adoption. (But) since your dog is so young, maybe a young dog or puppy would be easiest to work into your current pet and home situation.

·
Super Moderator
10,414 Posts
You've received some good advice - personality of both dogs must be taken into consideration and be compatible. After I lost Sweetness in April 2021, Tessa seemed OK with being an only for a few months, and then started to exhibit severe anxiety when she was alone for more than a few minutes, so I started looking for an older dog through rescues (Tessa was 14 at the time.) Josie matches Tessa's curious playful temperament but isn't a young puppy so a few minutes of play is enough for them both.

Good luck in your search and in your decision!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where did you get gorgeous Massimo? I've been trying to identify a breeder for a future purchase. He is absolutely adorable!!
Hi there! Thank you so much- I always say as beautiful as he is on the outside, his heart is even more sweet. I found his breeder on the AKC’s marketplace but she recently stopped breeding Malts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts