Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started searching for another brand of dog food when I read of the previous post on IAMS company. Currently, Paris is eating mix of Cesar (occasionally), but mostly a Eukanuba/Bil-Jac dry food. As you prob know, Eukanuba is just another division of the IAMS company and I could not support their company's position on animal testing and the cruelty involved...

SO... I searched among the companies on the IAMSCRUELTY site (the link that was provided in the other post) and decided on Natural Balance Inc. This brand of food is available at a local petstore and it's cheaper than some of the online sites I have found (also factoring in the shipping costs)...

After much internal struggle, I decided that saving approximately $10 by buying from the local store does make CENTS, but not SENSE.

See, I am a STRONG oppponent of pet stores that sell dogs. Regardless of broker, or the said-so "private network" of breeders. For me, spending ANY money at this local store would go against everything I am opposing.

There's really no point to this entry (sorry...it's long and a bit boring) except to just remind everyone that shopping at stores that sell puppies; you are indirectly responsible in keeping puppmills, irresponsible breeders in business. Yes, it may be convenient, cheaper... BUT please reconsider how much it hurts everytime we hear those petshop/puppy stories...

Thanks for reading...I know I ramble on and on...

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Are you not going to try Natural Balance? Not all stores for pets sells dogs. I got Natural Balance from Super Petz and they don't sell dogs.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oops!

After my rambling, I meant to add:

Yes I did purchase from Petco! Hahahahaha
I found the local pet store on NaturalBalance's website as a retailer... didn't buy through them (as you know why).

So you guys are on Natural Balance? Share your experience! Which line are you using? I am so tempted to get the Venison/Brown Rice but wasn't sure if I wanted to waste another bag of food (my Bil-Jac was only 1 month old...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
i chose the Duck allergy food for Natural Balance, i dont really have a specific reason, i dont think Jongee has any allergy, but i wanted to try a different flavor since jongee never tried Duck before.. her wellness has Lamb/chicken and her puppyfood had Fish as the main ingredient so i chose Duck this time.

jongee doesnt like her wellness anymore, i have so many bags of wellness left and i dont know what to do...she barely eats the wellness and picks out all the Naturalbalance and eats all of it..if i try to give her some wellness she gets pissed (i hand feed her) and she goes out of the room and walks away, so ihave to run after her and give her a Natural Balance and she gobbles it up...

but if i want her to eat the leftover wellness in her bowl, i dont add NB in it so she just eats the wellness up if shes hungry

I'm sure Paris will Love anykind of NB tho!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Paris'Mom@Jan 2 2005, 12:09 AM
I started searching for another brand of dog food when I read of the previous post on IAMS company.  Currently, Paris is eating mix of Cesar (occasionally), but mostly a Eukanuba/Bil-Jac dry food.   As you prob know, Eukanuba is just another division of the IAMS company and I could not support their company's position on animal testing and the cruelty involved...

SO... I searched among the companies on the IAMSCRUELTY site (the link that was provided in the other post) and decided on Natural Balance Inc.  This brand of food is available at a local petstore and it's cheaper than some of the online sites I have found (also factoring in the shipping costs)...

After much internal struggle, I decided that saving approximately $10 by buying from the local store does make CENTS, but not SENSE. 

See, I am a STRONG oppponent of pet stores that sell dogs.  Regardless of broker, or the said-so "private network" of breeders.  For me, spending ANY money at this local store would go against everything I am opposing. 

There's really no point to this entry (sorry...it's long and a bit boring) except to just remind everyone that shopping at stores that sell puppies; you are indirectly responsible in keeping puppmills, irresponsible breeders in  business.  Yes, it may be convenient, cheaper... BUT please reconsider how much it hurts everytime we hear those petshop/puppy stories...

Thanks for reading...I know I ramble on and on... 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=26827
[/QUOTE]

YES!! I agree with you 10000%. We have a Petland store here that, of course, sells puppies and I take my business elsewhere. Yep, the last time I was there a few years ago, they had a sign saying that they didn't buy from puppymills. But what they don't say is that they are one of Hunte Corps. biggest customers. Hunte is a huge broker, which means they buy from puppymills and take the puppies away from their moms/siblings way too soon, put them through the stress of traveling by truck, etc.

I am very lucky that our local "healthy" grocery store, Earth Fare, sells the Newman's Own Organics, which Kallie eats. We also have a pet supply store that is very involved in rescue, etc. and sells no animals of any kind. I get Catcher's Royal Canin puppy food there.

I like Newman's Own for three main reasons: (1) All profits go to support animal-related charities; (2) 75% of the ingredients are organic and (3) the chicken they use is free of antibiotics and hormones. Most of the other premium dog foods don't use organic or "safe" chicken. I want to keep as many pesticides, hormones, etc. out of them as possible!

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
the only store in my area that sells it is Petland
but Sampson and Maggie seem to be happy with their Nutro anyway

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Paris' Mom, you are right on. Most of us have hopefully learned by now not to buy a live animal from a pet store, but don't think that we are supporting puppy mills by buying even shampoo there.

Best thing to do is never, ever set foot inside a pet store that sells live animals. You won't be tempted to buy anything from them and hopefully, if enough people boycott them, they will eventually go out of business.

I know that happened here in Raleigh a few years ago. We have several Petsmarts and a number of pet stores, but this one was the only one that sold puppies. They weren't in business for even a year before they had to close. It works.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I agree with pari's mom too. i stop buying from petco when I found out how they treat the small animals they sell. Peta also has a website about Petco .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts