Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a great night ... adults only, no dogs ... hard to believe! I visited with Teddy and his lovely humans tonight, spent time watching him run, play and do some awesome retrieves in his yard and when he got good and tired out we left him to nap while we went out to dinner and then to WaterFire in Providence, RI. I've wanted to go to WaterFire for years and just never got around to it. What fun ... a warm night with a gentle breeze, great music, just a perfect night for a street fair lit up only by 100 floating bonfires on the river running right through downtown Providence. I really need to improve my picture taking skills with my cellphone camera but here's a terrible picture of the fires burning on the river. As much as I hate for puppies to leave for a new home I love the friendships that form and love living close enough to visit.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
How cool!! Love the pic, even if you don't think it's that great! ;) so.. would it be silly if I asked why there's floating bonfires? They look beautiful!

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Oh wow it sure sounds like you had a wonderful night Mary, the picture is great, thank you for sharing :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Sounds like an absolutely perfect evening. Providence is a place on my list of places to visit. I love all the street fairs they have and how they light up the river for them. Sounds like a perfect home for your baby.

·
Premium Member
2,957 Posts
Mary,

The picture is great. I would love to visit Providence
one day... I've driven through Rhode Island, but never
stopped to visit. It's great that you were able to visit
Teddy, too. I'm sure that it makes you feel very happy
to see your pups well taken care of and well loved.

Debbie

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How cool!! Love the pic, even if you don't think it's that great! ;) so.. would it be silly if I asked why there's floating bonfires? They look beautiful!
The canals that run through Providence were uncovered as part of a major city revitalization plan started years ago to bring culture and charm back into the city. The Providence of old was a place to go to work and leave at the end of the day because there was not much to keep one in the city after work or on weekends. It's really a cool city now, lots of museums, shops, restaurants, beautiful old homes and buildings that have been restored and two urban colleges, Brown University and Rhode Island School of Design. Here's something I found about the origins of WaterFire ... interesting.

The creator, Barnaby Evans, is a Brown University graduate and a multimedia artist who is interested in the revitalization of public space and the creation of new civic rituals. WaterFire has its roots in his 1994 creation of First Fire as a First Night event (New Year`s Eve) to celebrate the 10th anniversary of First Night Providence. First Fire was produced as an experiment. It went over so well that Evans created Second Fire in 1996 for the International Sculpture Conference and the Convergence Festival, where it became the gathering place for thousands of participants from all over the world. Fans convinced Evans to make WaterFire an ongoing art installation. He conceived it as presentation "art," but it has evolved into something that is truly an art spectacle, attracting more than one million visitors during the season, for which he has won many awards and recognitions.

The bonfires are built in fire pits on stands that sit in the river. The stands are high enough that the fire pits are just above water level and there are boats that travel the route throughout the evening replenishing the bonfires with wood. WaterFire is held around 20 times throughout the year, starts at sunset and ends at midnight.

·
Premium Member
24,026 Posts
Mary - How great that you spent time with Teddy and his parents and you got to do WaterFire.:chili: I've been to Providence to shoot three or four times and am always at the wrong time of year. It's such a great idea. I enjoy my trips there and have gotten to stay at the Westin which is very nice and next to the mall. There's also Johnson and Wales big on culinary arts there. I might still have a chance this summer -- have a shoot coming up in either MA or Providence area so who knows. Thanks for sharing the experience.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mary - How great that you spent time with Teddy and his parents and you got to do WaterFire.:chili: I've been to Providence to shoot three or four times and am always at the wrong time of year. It's such a great idea. I enjoy my trips there and have gotten to stay at the Westin which is very nice and next to the mall. There's also Johnson and Wales big on culinary arts there. I might still have a chance this summer -- have a shoot coming up in either MA or Providence area so who knows. Thanks for sharing the experience.
Sue, there are four more summer fires, all on Saturday nights, July 17 and 31; August 14 and 28. Let me know if you are going to be up this way. Maybe we can find time to meet up.

·
Premium Member
24,026 Posts
Sue, there are four more summer fires, all on Saturday nights, July 17 and 31; August 14 and 28. Let me know if you are going to be up this way. Maybe we can find time to meet up.
That would be great. Trying to firm up the shoot with the person I'm interviewing. Like nailing down jello though.:w00t:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts