Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(AP) _ A liver transplant patient and his wife had a tearful reunion Wednesday with the four pets they left behind when they were evacuated from a flooded New Orleans hospital.

"My girls! My girls!" Valerie Bennett cried to the two dogs, cat and guinea pig she had to leave at Lindy Boggs Medical Center last week. "I can't even begin to tell you glad we are to get our kids back."

The Bennetts, from Slidell, La., were brought to Emory University Hospital after Lindy Boggs, where Valerie Bennett works, was flooded by Hurricane Katrina. The Bennetts were told they could bring only one item with them _ they took the plastic tub containing the medicines Lorne Bennett needed to survive.

They fed their guinea pig and put out food for the cat. The dogs were left with an anesthesiologist, who stayed until Monday, when the animals were evacuated by volunteers, said Steve Campanini, a spokesman for Tenet Healthcare Corp., which operates Lindy Boggs.

The animals were taken to a veterinary clinic in Texas.

Jeff and Lydia Caldwell of Houston read about the Bennetts on the Internet and volunteered to drive the animals to Atlanta. They arrived with the pets Wednesday.

"They have been perfect angels the entire trip, until we arrived at the valet parking," Jeff Caldwell said. "Then they started going crazy. It's like they had a sixth sense that something was going to happen."

Until Lorne Bennett is released, the cat and guinea pig will stay with a nurse manager and the dogs will board with a hospital social worker.

___

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Thank you for sharing that good news with us, it certainly makes me feel better that at least someone has been reunited with their beloved pets.
I am sure we are going to be reading more stories just like this one, I do have some faith in that.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
This story was on good Morning America and you wanted to just jump up and down for joy.... and I did, Those dogs were kissing and loving all over the owners....and the owner just ran to her dogs...and the man who was in wheel chair was holding one...it was just wonderful.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Oh, what wonderful ending. Happy to hear some good news
Actually I saw their picture in the hospital under the rescue site for pets from Katrina. Its where poor Snowballs story is. The poor woman was crying her eyes out. How awful!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Happy news indeed!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts