Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have this little neighbor that’s ten years old - last week, when I was outside with Lucy - she (Maria) told me that she loved to sew, and that her grandmother was teaching her.

She asked me if I had any "dog fabric" - I told her that I just had material that I had used for blankets for the fluffs - she responded "I’ll take it, if you don’t want it. I could practice on it" - so I gave her what I had left over.

Today, on the porch was a little parcel from her - she wrote "This is for Lucy, I know that it’s boyish, but that’s all I had for dog fabric. I’ll come over after school and fix it if it doesn’t fit her."

OMGosh, look at this little coat that she made! I mean a ten year old?!? She even lined the jacket! It’s too big, but really, a ten year old, I wonder how she would even get the coat as close to Lucy’s size without asking for measurements. It baffles me.

I called her mom this morning, after I opened the parcel - her mother said, Maria loves to sew and used one of her stuffed animal's as a model for Lucy's jacket! I told her mother that I would take Maria to Joanns' fabric and let her pick out her own material and supplies -

So, I thought I’d share the coat with you.

(The jacket is made out of material I bought to make blankets for Barron)

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
omg i think its adorable !!! and yes what talent !! cause i dont even know how to sew a button !

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,703 Posts
What a precious, precious gift---a lovely and talented young lady---and oh, so thoughtful! I am glad she is YOUR neighbor Allie---you do so many nice things for others. What makes it really special is that it was not expected---she gave out of a heart of love. It restores my confidence in the "sometimes" goodness of humankind!

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
This is a beautiful fleece dress and so cute made, Allie! She's ten years old, wow! What a talented young lady and so thoughtful of her! :thumbsup:

It's nice to hear she's so interested in sewing! Today you hear it very seldom!!!

Alexandra :wub:

·
Premium Member
24,026 Posts
If that isn't the cutest thing, I don't know what is. :wub: I can't believe a ten year old could do it!! I just love kids who love arts and crafts...I think it's so good for the soul. Maria could be on the next Project Runway...for pets. :thumbsup: That little coat looks so nice and warm too.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
Only you can tell it's too large for Lucy, but from the pic it looks perfect. Maria did a terrific job, and the bow is the finishing touch. Great job! She's going to be so excited when you take her to JoAnns - I get excited when I go there! It's sensory overload for me. Have a great time at your outing with her. :D

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
OMG that brings tears to my eyes. How sweet and thoughtful of that little girl:wub:. She definetly has a talent, that jacket is just adorable. It makes so much more special because it was so unexpected and she did it out of the goodness of her heart. Kinda reminds me of you Allie.:blush:

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
The coat is adorable. Not only is your little neighbor talented, she sounds very sweet too.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Maria is quite the seamstress! When she sees how darling it looks she will be inspired to sew even more.... hmmm, you could end up with your very own designer!

·
Registered
10,740 Posts
What a sweet and thoughtful gift. That little bit of fabric encouraged her more than you know and the gift she made just shows it. It's nice to know a young person is wanting to learn a neccessary skill and was thoughtful enough to "pay it forward".
You're lucky to have such a wonderful young lady nextdoor.
Gives me a little more hope for our future generations...

It's adorable and she gets 5 paws up from the fluffs here too.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
the fleece jacket looks really cute and comfortable :wub: your little neighbor sure is a talented girl :D

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You are all so very kind and considerate - I appreciate it very much.

I just returned home, a short time ago -

Maria and I did go to Jo-Ann fabrics - you wouldn’t believe the stuff that she selected, rick -rack, buttons, velcro, thread and fabrics of all colors, and textures - "Oh yes, Maria, I know exactly what that is used for" (NOT).

She selected three patterns - you guessed it - dog harnesses, coats and dresses - wait until you see the fabric selections, I was in awe - and frankly, I had a wonderful time with her.

At one point, I said "Maria - you know so much about sewing and the terminologies related to sewing, how did you learn so quickly? She responded "Allie, you’re probably very good at things that I am not so good at, people are drawn to different hobbies in life - I just love sewing" - she floored me!

We had dinner together, then I brought her home - with a happy skip to her front door - a smile and a wave - she was off - - -

Thanks again,

Allie

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Good for her! My aunt taught me to sew at 10 yrs old. I think it's a wonderful hobby for anyone, especially kids who like seeing the finished product. I hope she continues.

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
Maria sounds like a dellightful little girl!!!! ....and, yes, with a lot of talent too! It's fun to see kids so interested in something and to take it seriously. Allie, do you sew at all??? I don't but was thinking about taking lessons on my mom's old machine from the 60's, but you could get lessons from Maria! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Hunter wants to know is Maria wants all his mom's extra fabric. She has a bunch of different colors and patterns and amounts and there are only a few bundles that his mom needs to keep. The rest is just taking up space. PM me Allie if you think she might be interested.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts