Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is considered a reasonable fee for studding services?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
OK... If I don't say this, someone else will....! I doubt if many of us know the answer to your question but many will likely ask if you are planning to breed your dog and if so, we will want to know if you have done the following, per a post by JMM:

"In order for him to be ready to mate you need to:

1. Show him to his championship or send him out with a handler to finish.

2. Test his bile acids, certify his knees with OFA, have an annual eye exam by a veterinary ophthalmologist, and have a thyoid panel done for starters. Any other health problems like allergies may also preclude him from being a candidate for breeding.

3. He should be at least 2 years old. There is no rush to breed a male. I would probably wait longer unless you are breeding a litter to keep yourself to see what he produces early on.

4. If this is your first stud dog, you should have all bitches he is bred to, including any of your own, pre-approved by his breeder. It takes years to really learn about canine structure and get a decent grasp on genetics. Be sure you keep under your mentor's wing for a while. The breeder also knows a lot about what is behind him and you need to learn about that to select good matches for him.

5. Breeding a stud is not to be taken lightly. If your dog produces a health problem, you are resonsible for it as is the bitch's owner. The stud fee does not waive your responsibility for what your dog produces. Are you prepared to assist with the costs of expensive surgery or reimbursing the purchase price of a pup? If you breed him to your own bitch, you are solely responsible for this. Liver shunt surgery can cost $3,000 or more!"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts