Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was a sad day at vet school. it was surgery day for me. i dont know if all of you know, but these dogs dont get to wake up... so we have to go out there and pick which one we want. one of my classmates went early to pick her dog to go weigh it so she could figure out the anesthesia medications before we had to start our procedures. there was a 4th year student (im 3rd) who was in clinics on his surgery rotation, and he saw the dog and said "hey thats my dog!" my classmate thought he was joking, and he said "no serious, my dog ran away three weeks ago!" it is amazing how lucky he and that dog are. just an hour away from being operated on then put to sleep. the miracle that he happened to be on that rotation, and that my classmate went in to weight it early. i still cant believe this happened! i was almost in tears after we picked out our dog b/c she was so young and cute, but after hearing that i almost started balling....so at least one dog had a happy ending today.

the reason why i am sharing this with all of you to show the importance of when your dog is lost, call the shelter everyday and dont give up....also microchip your pets. if that dog had a microchip this would have never happened. thanks for reading.
~LadyMontava

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
OMG!!! So glad for the happy ending.... Catcher is microchiped but Kallie isn't... I need to do that!!

Gosh I had no idea that you all have to pick out the dogs and operate knowing that this is "it" for them..... you all are so brave.... I am just not strong enough to do that...

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that was luckily our last terminal lab...the rest will get to wake up. it is hard to pick them out....the previous ones were not so bad b/c many of them were very sick, but today there were very young pups and healthy dogs so it wasvery sad.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
That is one of the many reasons i decided against being a vet! I could never do that or put a dog to sleep.
So... then i wanted to be the next best thing.. a Vet tech! But that doesnt make enough money for me..haha.. i live above my means... come on now I buy a LOT of stuff for my baby, KODIE!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Nov 29 2004, 07:50 PM
Sometimes I like living in the dark.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19296
[/QUOTE]

Me too Nichole..

That is SO sad about the poor dogs-I have the utmost respect for you Ladymontava!!! I absolutely COULD not do it!!!!

but what a GREAT reunion story for that guy and his dog!!!! Don't you know he will get some MAJOR spoiling/pampering now!!!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by MomtwoMaltmuffins@Nov 29 2004, 08:28 PM
  I could not, I would be thinking the entire time that this might be someone's beloved dog.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19303
[/QUOTE]

i didnt even think about it until today...you have to try to separate your feelings when it comes to this lab. it is hard. it is not a manditory class but they basically tell you you have to, unless you have super strong feelings against it. only one student in my class is not taking it out of 80. some vet schools dont have terminal labs. we had to operate on a deseased dog a couple of weeks ago b/c it was so sick it didnt make it but an hour into it (it last about 5 hrs) the surgery was not realistic at all and i now understand why it is important to operate on the live dogs. tissues just dont act the same when they are dead...they dont bleed, they dont move, etc. these dogs were already scheduled to me terminated at the pound, so at least they had the oportunity to die by teaching vet school students to save other dogs in the future.

also a couple of weeks ago we had a pregnant dog come in looked full term. the lady that ran the lab said she would let one of us take her home to have the pups (she wasnt supposed to let us do it but she had a heart) it was kinda upsetting though b/c she put us all in a spot, saying that if one of us didnt take her she was going under. thank goodness someone stepped forward. the NEXT day she had 9 puppies! and the classmate that took her is getting the mommy all fixed up and will find homes for the pups. everyone in the class donated money to the cause.

okay i need to go study now, ive been procrastinating too long.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
we should thank having our babies with us all pretty and healthy and not in the shelter

but does the school give money to the dogshelter and buy the dogs and operate them???

how does it work..?

its so sad tho......

·
Registered
499 Posts
In my school days we had a few dogs and cats that had come from the pound to dissect and practice surgery on, though fortunately, these were already preserved so it was a little easier to deal with. The only live animals I had to practice on was kittens for the intubation lab. But they got to stay alive afterwards, and most of us adopted our kitten. It scares me to think what may happen if I lost my dogs now--I'd go nuts!
Quincymom

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i dont know how we get the dogs...we do have a class next year that we spay/neuter all the animals at the animal shelter for adoption

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
You have to go and pick one out while they are still alive? wow i coudlnt do that i mean if someone said ok thats you dog i might be able to (not happily but i coudl do it) but have to pick one out wow

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have to say, I support the use of shelter dogs for the Veterinary Schools. While it's sad for the dogs to sacrifice their lives, it is a great gift to the rest of the animal kingdom.

I'm sure those dogs lived well at the school before they died, peacefully. giving of themselves, as dogs do.

I went to Vet tech school, and you're right -NO MONEY! (I graduated, got my NYS license and got a job in a bank making DOUBLE what a tech makes...
)

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Nov 29 2004, 08:07 PM
also a couple of weeks ago we had a pregnant dog come in looked full term.  the lady that ran the lab said she would let one of us take her home to have the pups (she wasnt supposed to let us do it but she had a heart)  it was kinda upsetting though b/c she put us all in a spot, saying that if one of us didnt take her she was going under.  thank goodness someone stepped forward.  the NEXT day she had 9 puppies!  and the classmate that took her is getting the mommy all fixed up and will find homes for the pups.  everyone in the class donated money to the cause.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=19318
[/QUOTE]

AWWW I love people with hearts. 9 babies! What kind of dog was it? I bet if it were a maltese, you would have said YES to taking her home without hesitation, huh, montava?
That was sweet of you guys to donate money to her to help her out. It must have been hard esp. because they had no notice and BAM! The next day she had a litter. I like this story!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
she was a mix of everything...had some chow in her too. actually one of the puppies ended up having a heart condition that would require expensive surgery. they had to put a stomach tube in her so she could eat. i personally thought they should not have done this b/c the poor baby is suffering, but they want to save her. i think she should have been put to sleep , but that is my opinion. all the other babies appear very healthy.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the euthanasia solution is just really concentrated anesthesia, so all they do is drift away into happieness and feel no more pain. it is very peaceful to see when u know an animal is suffering.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Dec 13 2004, 02:00 PM
she was a mix of everything...had some chow in her too.  actually one of the puppies ended up having a heart condition that would require expensive surgery.  they had to put a stomach tube in her so she could eat.  i personally thought they should not have done this b/c the poor baby is suffering, but they want to save her.  i think she should have been put to sleep , but that is my opinion.  all the other babies appear very healthy.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22737
[/QUOTE]

Aww, I still think the idea was still sweet--to want to save/help the mommy and her liter.
Is your school going to do the heart surgery? That would be a great learning experience, right?

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i dont know what the plan is on the little girl...i guess they will have to collect more money to be able to pay for it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts