Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks everyone for all of your advice about Sugarplum and her dental health. I mentioned in my initial post about some of the difficulties I’ve encountered as a result of her being a puppy mill rescue, including finding a groomer. On a more positive note, I finally found one where she is welcome back, and I made an appointment for next time (eight weeks from that date) As I also mentioned, in the past, two groomers basically implied “Don’t come back” and several others didn’t even want to attempt to groom her. That’s sad that they turn a dog away for a basic necessity in which there could be negative repercussions if neglected. As a mental health nurse, I personally cannot stand dealing with drug addicts who argue, try to manipulate and become aggressive, sometimes violent if the dr doesn’t order the meds they want, but that’s part of my job, I deal with it and I do it.
Anyhow, I resorted to taking Sugarplum to a dog grooming school a few miles away. They’ve been in business for more than 10 years and there were many good reviews. I figured the instructors are probably very experienced and they have managed dogs with all different temperaments. I also thought Sugarplum would make a very good teaching model for difficult to manage dogs as well as potential after effects of living in a puppy mill. When I called to make her appointment, I asked a lot of questions; they answered them to my satisfaction and they seemed very interested and willing to accept her. When I brought her in, they were wonderful with her, and when I came back she didn’t seem traumatized. I was also very happy with the work. I don’t think there were students there at that time, I’m not sure if any are currently enrolled because of the pandemic but all three people there were employees: the woman who took my initial call, the one who actually groomed Sugarplum and an assistant who handled the transaction and scheduled her future appointment. I asked how Sugarplum tolerated it. She stated she did squirm a lot, especially when it came to clipping her claws, but she’s had more difficult dogs, and she was able to manage her with very little, if any assistance from another person. Here is a pic of Sugarplum after her grooming:
Head Dog Eye Dog breed Carnivore

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
18,069 Posts
She looks fantastic!
My Lisi hates to have nails trimmed too as the feet on a dog are extremely sensitive, esp. the front ones.
You are doing a great job. You may want to get a product called "plaque off" to use for the teeth. I presently don't use it but have in the past & it may help keep the tartar down. Good luck & keep us informed.

Reactions: crazylady

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
Aww, she looks very pretty! I'm glad that worked out so well for you! It sounds like a good place to go back to for future grooming needs!

I think a lot of groomers are "self-trained" and don't learn about handling techniques -- or even breed grooming styles. (I had trouble convincing one that no, schnauzers are not supposed to have fluffy ears and fluffy tails! lol)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She looks fantastic!
My Lisi hates to have nails trimmed too as the feet on a dog are extremely sensitive, esp. the front ones.
You are doing a great job. You may want to get a product called "plaque off" to use for the teeth. I presently don't use it but have in the past & it may help keep the tartar down. Good luck & keep us informed.
Thanks Sandi I totally forgot about that stuff. Years ago I remember a spray product called “Plaque Attack” or something like that and I believe it was sold under As Seen on TV. I wondered if it really worked, and I’m sure by now there are other products similar to it and also available at pet supply stores.:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aww, she looks very pretty! I'm glad that worked out so well for you! It sounds like a good place to go back to for future grooming needs!

I think a lot of groomers are "self-trained" and don't learn about handling techniques -- or even breed grooming styles. (I had trouble convincing one that no, schnauzers are not supposed to have fluffy ears and fluffy tails! lol)
I think you’re right about that as far as the training goes. I never considered taking her to Petco or Petsmart because I’ve heard so many horror stories about deaths and serious injuries as a result of negligence, impatience, and improperly and poorly trained groomers. No state in the US requires a license, and I’m not even sure if a pet grooming facility is required to be licensed or inspected by the public health department

·
Super Moderator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
10,139 Posts
She looks great.

Reactions: crazylady

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
I think you’re right about that as far as the training goes. I never considered taking her to Petco or Petsmart because I’ve heard so many horror stories about deaths and serious injuries as a result of negligence, impatience, and improperly and poorly trained groomers. No state in the US requires a license, and I’m not even sure if a pet grooming facility is required to be licensed or inspected by the public health department
A PetCo that is very close to me has a good reputation, and the grooming tables area is glass-fronted so you can see that the animals are being handled well, at least in that area. I've used and liked a couple of their groomers over the years, but they moved on!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone. I found out more good things about the grooming school: I knew they had been in business for a long time, but I recently found out they’ve been around since 1996! And what’s more, a coworker who I hadn’t seen in several weeks said her family has taken their Lhasa Apso there for the past five years and they’ve always been very satisfied.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts