Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a young high school girl come in and tell me there is going to be a pet shop opening in my town soon. I questioned her if she meant my store since I just opened. And she told me no, it's a pet store where they will sell pets. She thought she was giving me good news because people would probably come here to buy things once they bought their pet. I told her that most likely they would be carrying pet supplies as well and why you never want to buy a pet from a pet store. She's never even heard of puppy mills. :(

I'm just sick. I really hope this is wrong. GRRRR!!!

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Uggghhhhhh! No laws in your state yet, right? Maybe she got it wrong. I must way that I was in the NJ suburbs last night and we stopped to get ice cream near our friend's house for the pies and there was a pet store that I thought meant it had pet supplies. Then as we pull up I see a large sign saying "Puppies." Made me sick too.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Ut Ohhhh.......I'm sure this isn't the end of this story.....:unsure:

.....stay tuned....:Waiting:......go get 'em Crystal!!! :chili:

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Okay, all, maybe it's time to do an educational pamphlet ... a tri-fold pamphlet explaining why a pet shop isn't the best place to purchase a puppy, the benefits of buying from an ethical breeder, and then a listing of every breed and the contact info for the AKC parent club breeder referral info. Crystal, if you think this might be a worthwhile endeavor I'm sure many of us would be willing to jump in to help. The benefit of a brochure is (a) people can take it with them and maybe read it before rushing off to a pet store; and (b) it relieves you of being the educator and helps to keep your blood pressure at an acceptable level.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Okay, all, maybe it's time to do an educational pamphlet ... a tri-fold pamphlet explaining why a pet shop isn't the best place to purchase a puppy, the benefits of buying from an ethical breeder, and then a listing of every breed and the contact info for the AKC parent club breeder referral info. Crystal, if you think this might be a worthwhile endeavor I'm sure many of us would be willing to jump in to help. The benefit of a brochure is (a) people can take it with them and maybe read it before rushing off to a pet store; and (b) it relieves you of being the educator and helps to keep your blood pressure at an acceptable level.
Great idea!

·
Banned
1,869 Posts

I'll do whatever I can do to help.

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mary you are brilliant! I know Marsha (the boyz) had come up with a packet of some educational pieces, but to be able to put together something in a concise tri-fold pamphlet would be fantastic! I wonder if one of the AKC clubs would be willing to 'sponsor' it (not necessarily pay for it) so on the back it could state, put out by the AMA, for example. That would also relieve some pressure from me and many other small pet boutique owners who don't need any back lash from the puppy mills or byb's in our area.

As for my blood pressure...lol...it has been FAR from an acceptable level for a few months now. :w00t:

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
First, I should have mentioned earlier that a section on Rescue dogs should be included. I'm not sure you'd get a parent club to sponsor only because they would probably want it to be breed specific. Let me poke around the AKC website to see what they have about responsible dog ownership. But why not have something be "Sponsored by Friends of Spoiled Maltese, a worldwide online community of responsible dog owners" with the link to SM. We would, of course, have to ask Yung for permission to put such a statement in a brochure (but it might be good marketing/advertising for the SM site).

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
I was just googling around to see what was out there and came across Puppies Aren't Products that's a non-profit to educate about puppy mills. Looks like they have some downloadable brochures like this, so it might be worth looking into the site and maybe you can do something similar with contacts you want or use their brochures: http://s3.amazonaws.com:80/bf-filestorage/CommunityServer.Components.PostAttachments/00/00/13/34/52/BF+Brochure-whats+a+puppy+mill.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=1TWF5R424CKA5BHB92R2&Expires=1290834297&Signature=YIeo4zry4qAN23ThKC17baK24gQ=

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
I guess it was only a matter of time someone would do this - you are in the middle of puppy mill he** there. Is it too late to go to the town council and educate them about pet shops who sell dogs? Can you and others object to the business obtaining a license for the sale of live animals?

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
I think this is a great idea and, of course, I'll jump on the band wagon. Anything I can do to help, just let me know. I'm more than happy to put the brochure together from info/wording that we decide to use. (Hopefully we'll find something already put together).

BTW -- we have a Pet Shop that sells puppies in the same strip mall that my grocery store is in. We have a lot of weekend protests that take place in front of it. :)

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess it was only a matter of time someone would do this - you are in the middle of puppy mill he** there. Is it too late to go to the town council and educate them about pet shops who sell dogs? Can you and others object to the business obtaining a license for the sale of live animals?

I'm hoping to make some calls this coming week to find out who I need to talk to about this. I'm hoping maybe we can stop it before it actually happens.

~~~

I would greatly appreciate any and all help with a brochure to help educate people on both rescues and responsible breeders. Whether it's help in putting one together or help in choosing one that already exists that is the best one. Thank you all so much!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I was going to offer to write it up, but Lacie's mom beat me to it. However, if I can use my skills in any way to help I'd be happy to. Also I have a website where we can post this info....in my mind it's all about education. The more we educate the public, the better off we'll all be...esp the dogs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts