Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
21,119 Posts
I agree that true blue friends are a blessing when they come along. My very best friend and I have been friends since the 1970s. We were friends when we both were married and met through our husbands. I'm divorced and she's still married but we're still friends. And we joke about the fact that we are total opposites: I eat healthy; she doesn't. I don't smoke and hate the smell of it; she smokes; I drink tea or decaf; she drinks caffeinated; I drink San Pelligrino; she drinks Diet Coke; I'm politically liberal; she's politically conservative. I live in town; she lives on a ranch; I'm a vegetarian; she eats beef from the cows on her ranch (yuk!!); I would never own a gun; she has her very own; I don't believe in hunting animals; she doesn't mind it at all; I won't wear fur; she has several fur coats. I find it amazing that we are friends!! But we both love Broadway plays, movies, shopping and dogs so I guess that keeps us together. There is just a bond there that is hard to describe.

I met another friend from a women's professional group I belong to. We were friends since 1988. She died earlier this year from kidney disease. I still have not deleted her name from my cell phone and I read her old emails and treasure each one. It really hurts to lose a friend like that.. Her death was not expected... she came home from dialysis and pretty much dropped dead.

I have a two friends in Knoxville that I grew up with and have been friends with since seventh grade and we've kept up with each other since High School graduation. There is nothing like an old friend who knows where you came from, your family, etc. They're coming to visit me at the end of June...

I have another friend who lives in Sarasota now who I've been friends with since I was one year old... Our mothers were very best friends, our fathers were best friends and our grandmothers were best friends. She and her husband came to visit last year and I burst out crying when I saw her... I love her so much.

I met another friend when we served on the Mental Health Association board together. I think that is a great way to meet friends... to join groups and you'll find people with interests similar to yours. When you see someone who seems interesting, invite them to your home for dinner and see if you "click". Sometimes you can meet new friends at your place of employment. I have a couple friends at work but they are not as deep as the friendships I have outside of work.

I'm glad you started this thread... I had not realized how much I treasure these great ladies and how lucky I am to have them in my life. There should be a Friend's Day... like Mother's Day, Father's Day, etc.

· Premium Member
21,119 Posts
Originally posted by okw+Jun 4 2005, 12:45 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Pico's Parent
@Jun 2 2005, 04:15 PM
It really is good, though, for husband and wife to have SOME kind of separate activity, interest or hobby.  So try some different things. 
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68317
Do you really think that this is true? My husband and I (other than our work) do everything together. It just seems natural. We have been together for the last 9 years, 3 of which we spent being in separate states across the country, so I know that we can be apart and still survive. However, we don't have any activities/interests we do on our own. It does lead to not having separate friends, but I am okay with that!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68928
[/B][/QUOTE]

That's the way my former husband and I were.... we did everything, including work together... and when we got divorced I was totally lost. I've also seen people like this and when (God forbid) their husband died, they had no one to turn to, no support system, etc.

IMHO, I think it is healthy for a couple to have some outside interests separate from one another.....

· Premium Member
21,119 Posts
Originally posted by okw+Jun 5 2005, 05:26 PM-->
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's [email protected] 4 2005, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by okw[email protected] 4 2005, 12:45 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Pico's Parent
@Jun 2 2005, 04:15 PM
It really is good, though, for husband and wife to have SOME kind of separate activity, interest or hobby.  So try some different things. 
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68317

Do you really think that this is true? My husband and I (other than our work) do everything together. It just seems natural. We have been together for the last 9 years, 3 of which we spent being in separate states across the country, so I know that we can be apart and still survive. However, we don't have any activities/interests we do on our own. It does lead to not having separate friends, but I am okay with that!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68928

That's the way my former husband and I were.... we did everything, including work together... and when we got divorced I was totally lost. I've also seen people like this and when (God forbid) their husband died, they had no one to turn to, no support system, etc.

IMHO, I think it is healthy for a couple to have some outside interests separate from one another.....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68929
I didn't reply at first becuase I just wasn't sure how I felt about this whole issue. Although we do everything together (except work), I feel like I am an independent person from my husband. Prior to this year, we spent 3 years living apart (due to school reasons) and we would only see each other once every month. So, I know that I can live alone and be fine. Also, since we work long hours, if we spend our time doing different acitivies separately, we would probably be missing out on something. I don't know...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=69292
[/B][/QUOTE]

Well, everyone has to do what feels right to them. That's for sure!!

I do feel that it enriches one's life to have friends in addition to lovers!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.