Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure where to put this question but since it started out at the groomers-thought I would just ask here.

I took Ruby Jean to the groomers today and she said she has been biting her nails and making them sharp. She said this was because she has pent up energy and needs more exercise? I don't see her bite her nails much-and I have read on here that's a symptom of allergies?

I take Ruby Jean with me pretty much everywhere and although we don't go on walks everyday we are doing better.... I just don't like to go without my husband because of other dogs that are running free...I'm scared something could happen to her. I have Chronic Fatigue and can't be as "on the go" with her as I'd like to be. Some days are better than others. Now that's got me worried--do you think this is why she is biting her nails? Is it important that they get daily walks? Thanks in advance for any advice-its appreciated!

Another cute thing the groomer said was that Ruby Jean has mannerisms of a cat. An we have 4 so she is copying them!!

BTW-the groomer was great, our first time there, she did a wonderful job and it was ONLY $20--I couldn't believe it!!!
I'm definitely going back there!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
First of all, sorry to hear about your Chronic Fatigue, hope it all clears up. Unfortunately I cannot offer any advice, except maybe get a second maltese so she can get some exercise chasing the other one around?

We also have two cats besides the maltese and it is funny as the maltese have learned to do a purring sound!

What other mannerisms do your cats exhibit?

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Chewing the pads of the feet is usually an indication of an allergy but that is generally pretty obvious, down between the toes and the feet will turn dark from saliva stains. I don't know if your groomer is correect but I did have a sheepdog that would lick one foot out of boredom...... at the time I lived in an apartment and he didn't get enough exercise or stimulation. After I moved to a house in the country and he was outside alot more and got more exercise the licking stopped.

For your benefit (with CFS) as well as hers maybe you could try short frequent walks. I think the activity and fresh air would be good for both of you :D

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I too am sorry to hear about your Chronic Fatigue, I sure hope you can get well soon.

Scooby has a habit of chewing on one of his back paws, we have had it checked on numerous occasions and there is no apparent reason for it other than habit. I have noticed that he mainly does it if he has done something silly and has been reprimanded, then he will immediately put the foot in his mouth and begin chewing
Another time is when I trim his claws he will tend to nibble on them for a while to finish the job even though I smoothe them with an emery board he still must feel he has to check them himself

That's great too that you have found a good groomer and the cost is very reasonable too

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Does she like fetching toys? Perhaps you could throw toys for her to fetch and she'd get more exercise without exhausting you as much?

I don't have CFS, but I have extremely low blood pressure and low blood sugar and sometimes feel like I cannot move even a finger. It can be very hard to get going sometimes and I actually use the ball throwing thing to help me get going sometimes. Just wish it wouldn't be so hard to get to the point where I CAN throw the danged ball. Good thing she is persistant about throwing it in my face until I comply.
(And, I'm much better now than I used to be...yet another thing that a vegan diet has done for me...just mentioning in case anyone thinks this is CAUSED by my lifestyle choice) :D

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
NC I often wonder if these very perceptive little furkids know just what is good for us and that your little one is trying to help you by throwing the ball to you so that you can get some movement going. Scooby knows when one of us isn't feeling great and he will stay with whoever it is who is not well and try to cheer us up with his silly little antics

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
We need pictures of Ruby Jean's bargain priced new "do"!

Brinkley doesn't get walked very often.

BUT, he does play pretty hard in the house. We can tell when he is feeling frisky. If one of his humans doesn't catch on, he pesters/chases a cat. Sometimes just 3-5 minutes (he has a short attention span
)of fetch or chase/hide-n-seek with me will settle him down.

Brinkley sometimes licks/chews his feet. I think it is boredom too. I usually try to distract him when I catch him. Lately he has been licking the couch or the blankets/throws that we have on the couch.
Don't know what that is about except boredom/bratness either.

Sorry to hear about your CFS....what do you have to do to keep that in check?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
A daily walk is really ideal when you can do it.

Playing thinking games is a good way to keep her entertained. Food toys are great fun. Teaching her tricks is a great way to exercise her mind. Hide and seek is a great game for around the house (sit-stay in one room and you go hide in another).

Chewing their nails usually is a boredom think. Licking feet is an allergy thing. However, if they have a nail bed infection, they'll often chew their nails.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
can you walk ruby jean, short walks, say to the mailbox or end of the driveway and back? my parents used to walk our beagle to the mailbox and back several times a day to help him keep his nails "worn" down a bit. it was also as far as my parents would allow ME to walk the dog by myself at the time. daisy loved those walks, she would come back inside and act completely exhausted LOL. then she'd start playing and bringing everyone ALL of her toys

like the others said, we need pics of ruby's new fancy 'do! it's always a great feeling when you find a groomer you like...and that likes you and your dog in return

ann marie and the "i'm good walking to the elevator and back..." buttercup

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
She must be bored then because she does chew her nails and not her feet or toes. I will definitely get a walk in everyday from now on. I feel like a bad mommy now
. I do play with her everyday but apparently its not enough. I was so good about walks in the beginning.....I'm just so afraid of other dogs. :eek:
Oh yes and thank you from Ruby too-she loves walks so she really appreciates your suggestions too!!

I did take a picture of her when I came home from the groomers so I will try and get it loaded right now. I have Camedia Master and it takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r ... to load.
We did some of the fun games last night too and she loved them!!Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Even old Lady loves her daily walks! With these nice Fall days, I really have to drag her back in!

I remember the Pet Psychic saying that for dogs, walks were like checking the mail or reading the newspaper....it's how they learn what's going on in their world and communicate. Lady's like a little white hound dog with her nose to the ground, sniffing all the smells.

I can understand you being afarid of other dogs. I am fortunate that I live within the city limits where there is a leash law and it is also strictly enforced in my community. I still like to carry "doggie mace" (it's called Muzzle), just in case. Would you feel more comfortable being "armed"?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes where we live we have the leash laws too but we also have stray dogs ever so often--BIG ones...I don't know if they get out of peoples yards or what..where did you get the "Muzzle"? I would definitely feel better taking that.

We took the longest walk yesterday and she was soooo happy - she just about walked us. I felt so much better too. So now we will have a daily routine of walks..which we were suppose to do from the beginning.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
North Carolina has gun shops
so I got mine there. If your state doesn't you can buy it online. You can even get it on Ebay.

http://personalsecurityzone.com/cgi-win/or...ProductID=10717

I feel safer carrying it, although I am terrified if I ever had to use it, I'd spray Lady and me by mistake! But I wouldn't hesitate to use it. It doesn't do any permanent damage, just stings like crazy.

As I mentioned before, I had a cat killed by a dog many years ago (I now have indoor cats only) right in my backyard when he was out with me. I saw the whole thing. One shake of the neck is all it takes. My policy is "shoot first, ask questions later" when it comes to loose dogs.

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
The others have given great opinions and advice so I won't be redundant; however, I did want to comment on the "cat like" characteristics. Sassy sometimes has some cate like characteristics and I do not have any cats. I think it might be a Malt trait in general. These babies are so precious and too funny

Sassy has 2 toe nails that she will occasionally bite. (I think is usually when I need to trim them
) Anyway, I have had the vet check for nail bed infections and fungus...nothing there. Also, she has no staining that is characteristic of allergy. So maybe it is being bored. But like I said, I think Sassy's is due to the need of a trim.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Same here, Summer chews her NAILS not her feet.. I too think it's because they get to long.. How ofter do you trim their nails? I take Summer every week to be groomed, I noticed her nails getting a little long
I'm afriad to trim her nails

1 - 15 of 15 Posts