Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ava and I are going, but I am not going to enter her in the show. Do I still need to send the form back with $10? I printed a form off the AMA website and there's a box to be checked that says:

I will be attending the AMA 2010 National Specialty show May 6-9, 2010.
Retistration is not required for exhibiting or attending the Sweepstakes/Obedience or Regular Conformation shows. All other AMA sponsored activies require registration. Non-member Fee is $10.00

It looks like we need to send $10 to the AMA....right?

Also there are other luncheons/ boxed lunches, banquests etc. who's doing what? I don't want to be left out and hungry, or pay for two meals :blush:. Of these functions, which ones can we take our dogs to? I'm worried to leave Ava alone in the room :bysmilie: What's the general consensus for Friday thru Sunday? (I'm leaving Monday)

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
Yes, you still need to send the $10 to the AMA for registration (this is for the specialty, not registrationion for the show)

Are you not wanting to leave ava in the room because of barking? Believe me when i say - she would only be one of many, LOL. I plan on going to the White Excitement party, the luncheon and the banquet. The last few years, I've also done the box lunch during judging, which you don't HAVE to do but it makes life a little easier during that hectic day. It's served during the day while judging is taking place so obviously, our doggies will be there :)

If you were going to show Ava, the registration to the show would be with Gordon Show Superintendent and here is a link to the premium list
http://www.gordonshowsec.info/pdf/May 10 Maltese Prem List.pdf

I'm sad you aren't showing Ava! Looking forward to meeting her though!

·
Premium Member
20,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, you still need to send the $10 to the AMA for registration (this is for the specialty, not registrationion for the show)

Are you not wanting to leave ava in the room because of barking? Believe me when i say - she would only be one of many, LOL. I plan on going to the White Excitement party, the luncheon and the banquet. The last few years, I've also done the box lunch during judging, which you don't HAVE to do but it makes life a little easier during that hectic day. It's served during the day while judging is taking place so obviously, our doggies will be there :)

If you were going to show Ava, the registration to the show would be with Gordon Show Superintendent and here is a link to the premium list
http://www.gordonshowsec.info/pdf/May 10 Maltese Prem List.pdf

I've thought about entering her. But because I'm only showing her for the fun of it....I don't want to have to lug so much extra stuff on the plane - I'm travelling by myself. Also I want to be able to meet everyone and socialize instead of ......grooming the whole time.....

No, I'm not afraid of her barking in the room. I'm worried about her being afraid without me. Now that doesn't mean she won't surprise me and want to be off playing with the other malts...I just don't want to plan on it. I just don't know what to do. The White Excitement party sounds like a great time, but i don't get in till Friday. hey, this would be the perfect opportuntity to have Marina show Ava, then I could see how it's really done!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
its a really good idea to bring a crate or xpen - something your dog is used to - when you have to leave them alone in the hotel room. this way you know they won't get into telephone/electric cords or go under dirty beds, etc. while you are out.

i'm really looking forward to meeting you and ava!!!!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts

http://www.gordonshowsec.info/pdf/May%2010%20Maltese%20Prem%20List.pdf

I'm lost, what is the specialty?????? And since hubby is coming with, I need to send two separate forms each with 10 dollars, right? I don't plan on leaving my dogs in the room "EVER"........we always take them with us and usually pick up food and take back to the room. I'm no showing anything except the beauty of my fluffs and I am helping Maggie with her vending booth............just tell me what I need to do and I will do it!:thumbsup: I'm so obedient. I won't be going to the White Excitement party as I will be tuckered out from the long drive and will need my beauty rest. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
20,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its a really good idea to bring a crate or xpen - something your dog is used to - when you have to leave them alone in the hotel room. this way you know they won't get into telephone/electric cords or go under dirty beds, etc. while you are out.

i'm really looking forward to meeting you and ava!!!!
OH, I have no intention of leaving Ava "loose" in the hotel room. I'm thinking of shipping my soft-side xpen to Heidi so it'll be there for me. I was just worried about leaving her in the room at any point.

I'm lost, what is the specialty?????? And since hubby is coming with, I need to send two separate forms each with 10 dollars, right? I don't plan on leaving my dogs in the room "EVER"........we always take them with us and usually pick up food and take back to the room. I'm no showing anything except the beauty of my fluffs and I am helping Maggie with her vending booth............just tell me what I need to do and I will do it!:thumbsup: I'm so obedient. I won't be going to the White Excitement party as I will be tuckered out from the long drive and will need my beauty rest. :thumbsup:
You bringing the whole gang??? Looking forward to meeting you!!!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
You bringing the whole gang??? Looking forward to meeting you!!!
You bet ya!! :chili::chili::chili:Don't know how I am going to pass Toby off for a tan and silver maltese!:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

I look forward to meeting you as well. I am bringing my new expedition stroller and an x-pen but we never leave the kids in the room alone.....always take them with. If they can't go with, we just don't go. Oh and I'm also bringing the hubby along!:wub:

I still need to know what the $10 registration is for and what the "Specialty" is? It's my first Nationals, can you tell?:blink::blink:

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
You bet ya!! :chili::chili::chili:Don't know how I am going to pass Toby off for a tan and silver maltese!:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

I look forward to meeting you as well. I am bringing my new expedition stroller and an x-pen but we never leave the kids in the room alone.....always take them with. If they can't go with, we just don't go. Oh and I'm also bringing the hubby along!:wub:

I still need to know what the $10 registration is for and what the "Specialty" is? It's my first Nationals, can you tell?:blink::blink:
"Specialty" refers to the show. An "All Breed" (AB ) show is for all breeds. A "Limited Breed" (LB ) show is for certain breeds only, generally groups, i.e., a toy group show, a terrier group show, etc. A "Specialty" show generally means just one breed showing. And a "Parent Specialty" (PS) show generally means the national, once a year, show hosted by the parent club for the breed. The Atlanta show is a parent specialty show for Maltese only hosted by the American Maltese Association and is their annual event.

The $10 registration fee covers the administrative expenses associated with the social aspects of the Specialty for non-member guests. These expenses include but are not limited to your hospitality bag full of goodies, your name badge, and admittance to all seminars. These are all expenses that the club pays for out of pocket and the members pay for in part via their annual membership fee and through general donations and fundraising efforts throughout the year.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

MaryH

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Okay, so if I am attending Sat. morning to watch the obedience and the sweepstakes competitons, then Sunday to watch conformation events and the parade of champions/rescues, I DON'T need to register? I'd be glad to do it, but I just want to make sure in advance what I am supposed to do. Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Obviously I don't know all the answers, but maybe if you go to the AMA website (here's the link):

American Maltese Association - National Specialty

I clicked on the Specialty Activity Registration forms and printed out the registration form - you need one for each person. I bet if we look around the site, they'll have a phone number or e-mail address to ask questions. .....maybe.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Okay, so if I am attending Sat. morning to watch the obedience and the sweepstakes competitons, then Sunday to watch conformation events and the parade of champions/rescues, I DON'T need to register? I'd be glad to do it, but I just want to make sure in advance what I am supposed to do. Thanks
That's correct, Suzan. If you are attending the shows only (sweeps/obed/conf) you do not need to register. If you wanted a hospitality bag or wanted to attend any of the non-show events such as the luncheon, banquet, seminars and/or White Excitement Party then you would need to register.

For those who are registering and planning to attend some/all of the non-show events, please remember to bring your nametag with you. Your nametag will indicate (by stars, pawprints, etc.) what events you have signed up for. All registration must be done ahead of time. There is no registering once you get there as headcounts will have already been given for food and space planning purposes.

MaryH

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Obviously I don't know all the answers, but maybe if you go to the AMA website (here's the link):

American Maltese Association - National Specialty

I clicked on the Specialty Activity Registration forms and printed out the registration form - you need one for each person. I bet if we look around the site, they'll have a phone number or e-mail address to ask questions. .....maybe.

Feel free to keep throwing the questions out here. I'm happy to keep answering them. :biggrin:

MaryH

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Here's another question:

How do we sign up to get photographs taken of our fluffs? I love those professional pictures that everyone had taken last year. If we want to do it, does anyone have info?

thanks
Leslie

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
"Specialty" refers to the show. An "All Breed" (AB ) show is for all breeds. A "Limited Breed" (LB ) show is for certain breeds only, generally groups, i.e., a toy group show, a terrier group show, etc. A "Specialty" show generally means just one breed showing. And a "Parent Specialty" (PS) show generally means the national, once a year, show hosted by the parent club for the breed. The Atlanta show is a parent specialty show for Maltese only hosted by the American Maltese Association and is their annual event.

The $10 registration fee covers the administrative expenses associated with the social aspects of the Specialty for non-member guests. These expenses include but are not limited to your hospitality bag full of goodies, your name badge, and admittance to all seminars. These are all expenses that the club pays for out of pocket and the members pay for in part via their annual membership fee and through general donations and fundraising efforts throughout the year.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

MaryH
Thanks for the detailed information about the registration.........I understand now.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Here's another question:

How do we sign up to get photographs taken of our fluffs? I love those professional pictures that everyone had taken last year. If we want to do it, does anyone have info?

thanks
Leslie
Hi Leslie, the professional photographs are done by a vendor, not a photographer hired by AMA, and there would be no preregistration. I don't know if there will be a vendor doing professional shoots at this specialty but will try to find out and get back to you via this thread. AMA unfortunately has no control over who accepts their invites to be a vendor at the show. Invites are sent out in the hope that vendors will come and generally there is a nice sampling of things to buy.

Hope this helps,

MaryH

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
How exciting!!! I'm living vicariously through you ladies!!! Hope to see a show on of these days...do they ever come to/near Vegas?
The last time it was in Vegas was in 2000. There's really no predicting where future shows will be held other than East, Midwest, West regions as each specialty is bid on by AMA members. Unfortunately, right now I don't think we have any members living in Las Vegas. The 2011 show will be in the Midwest region, and the 2012 show will be somewhere in the West.

MaryH

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.