Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a kid who is possibly going to go to the States for a few years to study English. He is around 2nd-3rd grade here. His English is not good. Anyway, rather than pushing the current curriculum at him (which benefits those who stay in this country, not those who go out), I'd like to start preparing him for this possible move.

I think that he needs to be learning some American history and geography in order to be able to keep up with his classmates in the future. He's got VERY basic conversation down. But rather than focusing on things like "This is the bedroom. That is the desk.", I'd like for him to learn other things at the same time. Normally, I NEVER teach American history or geography because, well, it is not necessary here and I don't believe in pushing culture down your students' throats. However, if he is going to be going to America, that is another story altogether.

I want to put together some things for him to study on his own or with his mom at home. Can anyone recommend any good sites? It doesn't have to be 3rd grade level--his reading skills are below first grade level. So, the simpler the better.

I'd appreciate any help in this!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yahooligans (part of yahoo) has some great educational stuff with things about the US and other countries as well.

PBS KIDS has some great educational resources also.

Great Websites for Kids -- this is the history section.

Also, if you know what state he is going to it might benefit him if you look over the state's curriculum to see what he should know about the U.S. You can find this on most states' department of education sites.

Good luck! Sounds like you are doing a great job to get him ready for his move.

Nicolle

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
That will be great if you helped him out. But he's going to learn english in NO TIME once he starts interacting with the kids at school. I know someone who came from Vietnam and went to highschool and talking to her peers was how she learned to speak english. She speaks really well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts