Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<span style="font-family:Times">I have read past posts about home cooked meals and how you guys add flax seed and bone meal to their foods. What exactly is flaxseed and bone meal for?

And also...what are your furbabies favorite home cooked meal recipes?

thanks
I have been thinking about doin some home cooking for Peaches as well.</span>

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I follow some recipes out of 2 books. Neither of them call for flaxseed but they do call for bonemeal. You are supposed to use the kind that is almost 2 parts calcium for every 1 part phosphorus. I use Solid Gold Bonemeal. I buy it at my local petfood store because I found with shipping it is more expense or equal in price.

The girls love chicken/beef/turkey and rice (other stuff in it too). They also love chicken/beef/turkey and macroni. They aren't really picky on the meat, all they care about is having some type of meat in it.

If you are interested in starting home cooked meals I would suggest going to a Barnes and Noble or some book store and looking at this book. Home-Prepared Dog and Cat Diets It retails for $40 but it is the one I use the most. I also have the Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats which is only $19, but the start up cost (amount you have to spend on ingredients) is a lot more. In fact I haven't even made anything from it yet. If you have any question let me know. I can tell you where I found the best prices for everything.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Pico loves chicken, sweet potato, oatmeal, broccoli and cauliflower. He also gets pea-sized treats from our plates of avocado, white potato, chicken, fish.

I have heard so much about rice being an allergen that I asked my vet and he said that it used to be included in diets for dogs with allergies but so many dog food companies jumped on that bandwagon that it has become an allergen like corn and wheat!

So, Pico gets oatmeal for his grain/starch. I also add bonemeal for calcium and phosphorus. I am going to add some flaxoil to his next recipe because he doesn't get much fat in his diet and it is a "good fat".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts