Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was on my way to school this AM and Hubby calls to tell me Parker isnt using his back leg
So he brought him to me so i could have him looked at. He was checked out by many people, had xrays, and it is determined that he has a partial cruciate tear in his left rear leg. luckily it isnt a complete tear and cage rest and anti-inflammatories are the treatment, unless it doesnt get better. so i will be having my fingers crossed. so i went and bought him a cage...hope it isnt too rough for him.

meanwhile an emergency came in and the poor woman/girl was histerical
her little 5mo old pom wiggled out of her arms and fell on its head. it was non responsive and had no heart rate. they rushed it to ICU and w/ CPR got a heart beat. that was the first time I have seen CPR work. I was shocked. to make a long story short the dog crashed 3 times and each time it was brought back, but never had brain function. wasnt much more that could be done for little Coco Chanel
so they had to put her to sleep. it was a sad day. i can't imagine how that poor girl felt. she was like 17 or 18..her parents lived an hour away and were on their way to Paris. so this girl had to deal with this all by herself. luckily we have a great grief counsler to help her out.

so just a little note to all of u with squirmy babies....BE CAREFUL ..these babies are very fragile

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Oh, gosh... what a day! That is indeed sooo sad about the puppy. That is the thing I worry about the most when there is a sitter here... one of mine wriggling out of her arms and falling. That is great that there are grief counselors there.... that is just so sad....

I hope Parker recovers fully with just the extra rest.....

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
oh my god. how horrible!
and that also sucks about parker...i hope he gets better soon.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Hate to hear Parker is having problems. Prayers are with him for a speedy recovery and no surgery.

My heart goes out to the young girl. I know one night Puddles started to jump from my arms and all I could do was to grab his hair and take him down slowly. I know it may have hurt, but better than killing himself. Now I am all so careful !!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I am sorry to hear about Parker. I hope he will be better in no time.

I have seen and done CPR on patients and I know how sad death can be.

Thank you for the warning about squiggly furbabies. I once almost (okay, I am lying, I did) drop Miko. It was pretty low to the ground and he was fine ... but I still felt so guilty. Even at his "large" size of 7 lbs, he is still pretty fragile.

Sorry about your awful day.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
I hope Parker recovers well and no further treatment is needed.

That poor girl, how awful for her and her poor little puppy.
I know how easily that can happen too as Scooby was bad for trying to leap out of our arms when he was little, luckily he never managed to succeed. Now all he wants is for us to carry him, he is such a little cuddle bug.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
What a day. This is so sad. I know what you mean by squirmy. When I have finished grooming Alex, he cannot wait to be put down. He wiggles so much I have trouble holding on to him until he is on the floor.
Hope Parker won't need surgery.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
What a way to start the week. Sorry that your day was not good. Hope Parker recovers quickly and won't require surgery. How lucky for him that you could have him seen by so many experts!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Oh my goodness, it has been a terrible day for you. It is so terrible to hear about that girl who lost her loved one. The thought of ever losing my baby brings tears to my eyes, so I can imagine her heartbreak. Rex fell down the stairs when he was running the day after we got him, halfway down, my heart dropped, luckily he was not phased, but I was, permanantly. Things happen so quick sometimes you cant even react.
I hope Parker is better soon! I am sure you are doing everything in your power to make sure he recovers asap. That is the wonderful thing about the people on this message board...we all really do love our babies!
Best wishes for a speedy recovery Parker!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Awww girl! I hope Parker gets well soon. He's too cute to be having issues. What a rough day for you. Beter days will come.
*Hands you a Hand Grenade*

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
So sorry about Parker.

I think that cruciate tear is what Brinkley had when he jumped out of my lap from the van....he recovered fine and didn't even do cage rest. His knees pop now...don't know if it is coincidence or not, but didn't notice it before then. -_-

That poor girl and her pom.
That is scary.
I worry about that with my skin kid sitters that come over...I may have to warn them about it...

·
Registered
608 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Aug 1 2005, 07:31 PM
So i was on my way to school this AM and Hubby calls to tell me Parker isnt using his back leg
  So he brought him to me so i could have him looked at.  He was checked out by many people, had xrays, and it is determined that he has a partial cruciate tear in his left rear leg.  luckily it isnt a complete tear and cage rest and anti-inflammatories are the treatment, unless it doesnt get better. so i will be having my fingers crossed.  so i went and bought him a cage...hope it isnt too rough for him.

meanwhile an emergency came in and the poor woman/girl was histerical
  her little 5mo old pom wiggled out of her arms and fell on its head.  it was non responsive and had no heart rate.  they rushed it to ICU and w/ CPR got a heart beat.  that was the first time I have seen CPR work. I was shocked.  to make a long story short the dog crashed 3 times and each time it was brought back, but never had brain function.  wasnt much more that could be done for little Coco Chanel
  so they had to put her to sleep.  it was a sad day. i can't imagine how that poor girl felt.  she was like 17 or 18..her parents lived an hour away and were on their way to Paris.  so this girl had to deal with this all by herself.  luckily we have a great grief counsler to help her out.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86522
[/QUOTE]

Our old pit Boca tore her cruciate twice. The other thing that helps when doing the cage rest recovery is Cosequin. We had the combo of rimidyl and cosiquin it definetly helped her improve. And the other suggestion I have is a lil bit of seditive the first time they are loose off cage rest. Even gradually allowing her more and more freedom she went nuts the first time off lead, a month after being off cage rest.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I hope Parker is better REAL soon!!

Your story is the EXACT reason why I dont like people holding Kodie... hes a squirmer. He always tries to get to my arms when someone else is trying to hold him...
Now that you told us that story I WILL NOTTT let anyone hold him anymore... I know that sound harsh but seriously... Kodie is tooo much a momma's boy and refuses to let people hold him. (I know Kodie has issues.. haha)
Thanks Jamie! I love to hear about things that happen at a vet's office. It's helpful info!

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Sorry to hear about Parker. Hope he improves soon. He's lucky to have a mom like you.

Hope the girl is doing okay with the loss of her puppy. I know Paris has tried to squirm out of my arms several times.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Ah, poor Parker. I know it's going to be hard for him to rest that injury....it's not like you can give him a GameBoy and a CD player! I hope he is well soon, though.

Poor Coco Chanel! You wouldn't think such little guys would be so hard to control when they get excited and squirmy but we know better, don't we?!

When I pick up Pico from the groomer's he is so excited I have to set him down to calm down or put him in "settle" in my arms. The groomer always cautions the shampoo girl (who has Downs) to "hold him close" when she picks him up.

I dropped Pico once during an unexpected handoff from my husband to me. Well, I didn't drop him because I wasn't expecting him to be handed to me so abruptly and my hands were full so I never got my hands on him and my husband wasn't paying attention to that fact so HE dropped him. Nevertheless it was a harsh lesson for both of us even though Pico was fine and he didn't drop far and he dropped on carpet. STILL!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Gee what a day you had. I hope parker recovers soon. How long did they say it will take to heal?

Chester alway tries to wiggle away... he does not like to stay in peoples arms to long. My niece was holding him . Next thing I heared my niece crying because she got in trouble. My sister said she droped chester. I quickly corrected her by saying I'm sure chester jumped out of her arms. That's why when they hold him. I alway have them sit on the floor, but I was not in the room at the time. Lucky my niece is so tiny and not tall so chester was ok.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts