Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning about 6 am I was on my way to meet the friends I tailgate with before Bears games and saw a deer that had been hit by a car. The poor thing was still alive but in the middle of the road and unable to move. Whoever hit him didn't stop either. I did call 9-1-1 and they said they would send someone right away but I just keep seeing that deer looking around in my mind - it was as if he was looking for someone to help him. So very sad.

·
Premium Member
10,186 Posts
Yes, that is sad. I'm sorry, Maggie you had to experience seeing this. I'm thinking that the deer probably was in shock and couldn't feel any pain at that point.

It really bothers me to see injured animals on the highway ... especially when they are still alive and obviously suffering. I was going into the building where I once worked and saw a squirrel that had been hit by a car right in front of the building. I felt so bad for the squirrel ... it was depressing. I brought it to the attention of the building engineer. He went to check on the squirrel and it had died. Bless the engineers heart ... he actually buried the squirrel and made a little cross out of tree branches to place over the little squirrel's final resting place.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
oh no :( that is a sad sight indeed. the person who hit the deer must've been in shock as well and probably could not think fast enough to stop at the side of the road and call for assistance. I'm glad that you did though. feel better:grouphug:

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Oh Maggie, I'm so sorry. It's heart breaking, I know.

On my way to work, a couple years ago, there was a crow in the middle of the road. The wings were still flapping. I stopped, just out of instinct, and am lucky I wasn't run over. I was bawling. I picked the crow up, I said, "I love you", and he died. I don't like crows, but all life matters.

To this day, I can't stand the crows, who hang out in our complex, but will never forget that little crow who died in my arms. The memory still haunts me. I so wanted to help, yet nothing could be done.

We love you Maggie,

Deb and Gang

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Oh Maggie - I can't stand seeing any animal suffer. I remember as a kid cutting my moms lawn at the farm and I must have hit a little mole. Freaked me out no end. I felt so bad and didn't want to get back on the mower for a long time. Just kept seeing it.:smcry:
I know that my DH was driving several years ago on a parkway that is just full of deer and a big one ran out in front of his car on a snowy day. The front of the car hit the deer and then he just kept going - leapt over a huge snow bank, probably at least three feet, and kept going so my DH assumed he was okay. We travel that road all the time to VT and it worries me every time especially at night. I also know if we ever hit one and it was on or near the road we would want to call 911 but cell service is dead on much of our ride.

·
Premium Member
24,173 Posts
Maggie that's so sad, I have seen many deer killed on the side of the road but to see one fighting for his life is to much. I'm sorry you had to witness it. You did the best you could.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Oh Maggie, so sorry you had to see that,and so sorry the deer was suffering, but you did the right thing in calling 911. Hugs to you.

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
Yes, a very sad way to start the day. I feel so bad for them (moose here, no deer) because they wander or run out oblivious to the danger.

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
That is so sad :( I am sorry you had to see that. I hope they came quickly to end it's suffering. It is so sad when wild life or any animal gets hurt like that. I saw 2 red foxes this morning, that had be run over to. :( I can't bear to look.

We were down at the park on Friday and there was a duck that couldn't use her one foot. She had fishing line wrapped all around it. She could swim, but couldn't get out of the water to walk on land. We eneded up calling Animal control, and they, along with my daughter and son in law try to catch it. No luck! I don't know if they ended up catching it, as we had to leave. I am going down there later today to check on it.

((((HUGS))))

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
aw im so sorry that you had to see this, thats so sad. We often see dead deer at the side of the roads over here in scotland (in the highlands i mean, not the cities obviously) its always a shame, but even worse if the poor thing was still alive. Thre really wasnt anything else you could do though xx

·
Registered
842 Posts
Awww that's terrible, I'd feel so bad too. It's one thing if it dies right away, but for it to suffer. I'm glad you called, I probably would have called too. Hopefully someone came quickly to aid it and not let it suffer any longer. I feel bad when I see dead animals on the road, not just cats and deer and things but everything, even raccoons!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Oh Maggie I am so sorry :-( I hate to see any animal suffer. I have picked up a bird that a cat got and taken it to a wildlife rehab, as well as 3 baby possums, and an adult possum. :-( I couldn't imagine seeing the deer suffer though. Poor thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts