Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Missing Oklahoma Woman

This story is SO sad...

One of the reasons I was probably so bummed this week is because I didn't get to go visit my own family in Oklahoma.
Hubby could not get off work, we could not afford to fly us all, and I DO NOT feel comfortable making that 9+ hour drive alone with the kids. Not nowadays.

Anyway, this poor girl. She picked this guy up-a hitchhiker...her parents said she always picked up hitchhikers, regardless of the dangers, to try and witness her faith to them.
This guy was off his nutso meds-and killed her. Not only did he meet her on the same road we always travel to go home, but he dumped her body about 45 minutes from my house, right off the interstate we travel to go to both Nashville and Oklahoma. (hubby's fam is in Nashville) Anyway, it somewhat freaked hubby out, because they said the guy usually frequented lit truckstops, like Pilots-the only ones we usually stop at.
Although I tried to ease his mind by telling him that I would NEVER pick up a hitchhiker-(call it a flaw in my own faith)-he said if this guy was desperate enough...who knows if he wouldn't have done it anyway, to anyone else?! Anyway, hubby's point was, that sometimes things work out that way for a reason...and if we had been traveling that road when all this had occured-it would have freaked him out...knowing it was all on our path. I hope they catch the guy.

I feel for the family. They can rest easy in the fact that she died doing what she believed in. Her faith is much stronger than mine.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Aw thats sad
Sorry it was so close to home.

Whenever I finally start driving (1 1/2 years!!!!!!) I'm NEVER EVER gonna pick up hitchhikers. It's just like nowadays you can't trust as much
I'm not growing up in a culture that trusts eachother, and it makes me sad.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
tlunn - I was just listening to the news about this story, I heard some yesterday but bits and pieces. This nut is still on the loose, I really hope they catch him soon. We were just at Natchez Trace two weeks ago, stories such as these are really getting close to home. On our way home we passed state troopers at the I40 bridge where a skeleton had been found. Things are really getting crazy.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I saw a lil of that on the news last night too! Takes the security right from under you.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Originally posted by Frosty's Mom@Mar 26 2005, 09:01 PM
DanaH. The puppy on your posts is about the cutest thing I've ever seen! Tell me about her.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46483
[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I guess the bow is misconceiving. The avatar picture is of my precious little boy, Baxter. He is 7 months old and I can not even remember my life before him.
He is such a blessing and joy. Very Spoiled!!
The great thing is he shows as much love for his mommy as I feel for him.
Thanks for the compliment. I am really thinking of cuting the topknot, he is confused with little girls all the time!!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by DanaH+Mar 27 2005, 11:28 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Frosty's Mom
@Mar 26 2005, 09:01 PM
DanaH. The puppy on your posts is about the cutest thing I've ever seen! Tell me about her.

Sorry, I guess the bow is misconceiving. The avatar picture is of my precious little boy, Baxter. He is 7 months old and I can not even remember my life before him.
Thanks for the compliment. I am really thinking of cuting the topknot, he is confused with little girls all the time!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46547
[/B][/QUOTE]
Oh no!!! Don't cut that top knot!!! Baxter is sooo precious! Peanut is called a girl all the time and he's in a puppy cut with NO topknot. He's too cute!!!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Well, I personally love the topknot. I guess it is the bows that my husband absolutely hates!!
I believe the bows are also what confused people in thinking he is a little girl. Another factor is the area in which I live and in talking with tlunn she ran into the same problem. Men here resent and hate the fact that I would even consider putting a bow in a little boys hair.

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
Sorry Baxter! I just thought anything that cute had to be a girl! My husband hated the bows, and Frosty was driving me nuts when I was trying to put them in, so when he was about 1 yr. old I cut the little mini-crewcut he has in the picture. That was 12 yrs. ago! He's got the masculine/maucho look which works for him. He was neutered at 6 mo., but has never stopped being the alpha male. No trouble in the house but outside!, he marks everything as his. No girly squatting for my boy.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by DanaH@Mar 27 2005, 11:58 AM
Well, I personally love the topknot.  I guess it is the bows that my husband absolutely hates!! 
  I believe the bows are also what confused people in thinking he is a little girl.  Another factor is the area in which I live and in talking with tlunn she ran into the same problem.  Men here resent and hate the fact that I would even consider putting a bow in a little boys hair.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46549
[/QUOTE]

You are so right! Now that I have cut Brinkley's top-knot and had his "boy-cut" so long on the top...I can't even imagine putting him in a bow!
He just "seems" so boyish to me...that a bow would look silly to me now too. So, I put all mine back for when I someday get a girl.
She will ALWAYS have a topknot!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by DanaH+Mar 27 2005, 11:28 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Frosty's Mom
@Mar 26 2005, 09:01 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46547
[/B][/QUOTE]

Personally, I think in the world of animals, being showy is OK for boys.... don't forget the peacock and other animals.... the male is the showy one. It may be that we humans have certain "standards" about how we want males and females to look but for dogs I don't see that we need to follow them. Look at the poodles in dog shows.... etc. The males are very "dolled up".

I think it depends on the dog. Kallie is a girl but she just isn't the top knot type. Sometimes my groomer will put a bow in her hair and it just doesn't at all fit her personality. She is a tomboy. No bows for her.

Catcher, on the other hand, is a "pretty boy" and I can't imagine him without a top knot. He is such a little prince that a top knot fits him. He seems to love when I put it in, too. He'll bend his little head down so I can get to it better.

Look at JMM's Mikey Man and all the famous Malts such as Thriller, Risque Business, etc.... all males but gorgeous in their top knots and long hair.

So, bottom line.... I think it depends on the dog!

PS I think Baxter is absolutely adorable in his top knot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts