Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background...my family and I went on a vacation for a week at the beginning of September and had our neighbor watching our malts, golden, and cats. When we came home I noticed Terra had started her first heat cycle while we were gone...and told my husband while we were unpacking. Somehow Triniti and Terra were let out together and I found them tied a little while later. I freaked and told everyone not to let him near her...things were going well and I thought we made it through the heat without her getting pregnant.

Well her belly has started to enlarge as well as her nipples so I took her in to my vet and he took an xray and saw nothing. So he did an ultra sound and low and behold there were 2 precious puppies. He says that the tie I found them in must not have been the one that impregnanted her because the puppies weren't that far along in gestation. He said it looks like it was a week after that that Terra and Triniti must have tied.

I thought I was so careful but apparently they still managed to get together. I know she is too young and I swear I didn't do this on purpose and feel so terrible about it. :(

But what's done is done and I swore to my vet and to her that I will do everything I can to make sure both she and her puppies are taken care of. I literally am next door neighbors to my vet and he said that he will be there for me whenever I need him day or night and will be with me when she starts to go into labor and if needed, will be there for a c section if she cannot deliver naturally.

Terra is going back to see him in 10 days to get another xray for a more accurate count of puppies and their position in the uterus. He will also examine her to see if he feels like she could whelp naturally. If not then we are just going to schedule a c section.

I already spoke with my breeder and she is also going to be there for me and had me take down a page of notes on whelping and taking care of Terra now and later....and the whelping box and supplies, etc.

I wanted her to be my foundation bitch, but not this soon. I have to admit though I am excited about the puppies and hoping one of them will be my show puppy. I felt like a grandma seeing them on the ultra sound moving around with their little heart beating. It was so precious. :wub:

So ladies (and gentlemen), I am asking for support. I know I should have somehow done a better job at protecting Terra when she was in heat. I know some of you will be upset and I understand that you only want what's best for Terra and the puppies. I promise I am doing everything I can to make sure she is healthy. I won't hesistate to do a c section on her if there is any doubt or hint of trouble. I trust my vet completely and trust you ladies to be there for me. I love all of you and look forward to sharing this journey with you.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Are you showing Triniti and Terra when you say you wanted Terra to be your foundation bitch? I guess I'm a little out of the loop on SM!!

I hope Terra and her pups do okay...

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Dear Kelly,

This is your business. Who are we to pass judgement on you? What you need now, is support.

Accidents happen in life, we’re all human. G-d knows I’ve had my share - so, we learn from them, and move forward.

You know what is best for your fluffs and your family.

I wish you all the best,

Allie

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you showing Triniti and Terra when you say you wanted Terra to be your foundation bitch? I guess I'm a little out of the loop on SM!!

I hope Terra and her pups do okay...
Yes Triniti is my daughter's junior showmanship dog. He is show quality and I was also showing him in American Bred Dog this summer. While we were away on another vacation, triniti became so matted that I had to cut him down so we are letting his hair grow out...I was going to have my daughter show him anyway with the short coat, just for the experience...but then everything with my Mom started happening. The local kennel club is starting up again soon so hopefully we can both start conformation classes.

Terra was my show female. But she has always been really shy outside of the house. I took her to Puppy training and she has been with me to several shows (not in the ring) and right now she's still too shy, so I was going to wait until she was around 2 and breed her and hopefully get my show dog from one of her puppies.

Allie, once again you show your sweet, compassionate side and I do appreciate it. Honestly I was afraid to post about Terra's pregnancy because I was expecting negative comments. And like I said I totally understand because we are all on SM because we love the fluffs and I know you all care about all fluffs and want only the best. I am the same way and know ultimately it was 100% my responsibility to keep her from being bred...and I failed in that. I know it would have been better to wait until she was over 18 months (and I wanted a champion stud). But what's done is done and thank the Lord we have the means to care for her and afford a c section if neccessary!

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
Congrats! I hope everything goes smoothly with her delivery!

How far along does your vet think she is? I wouldnt' do another xray until she is about 58 days. When did her heat cycle start? What day? You can kind of guestimate from there.

Now that Terra is in the family way, I would not let your younger kids pick her up anymore. I would limit it to you, your hubby (if he's comfortable picking her up) and Malayah. She is more bulky and they could easily drop her, not used to the extra bulk. You have to be VERY careful. When I have a bitch that is going ot have puppies, NOBODY gets to pick her up beside Marina and I. I just refuse to take the risk. I know how much your little ones love Terra, but for her safety (and the puppies) that is one rule I would enforce. And because they love Terra so much, that will be a hard one for you!!

Good luck with everything!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Hi Kelly

Sorry to hear that this has happened when it wasnt planned but nobody here has the right to judge you so dont feel you have to say sorry to anyone here :). I know what some can be like with things like this but it does sound as though your going to be doing everything right. Besides... in the last 10 years ive learnt that many ''well thought of breeders'' are realy not so great afterall :(
best of luck with it all and keep us updated xxxx

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Kelly - I'm hoping that all goes well with Terra and her puppies. She seems so young to have pups of her own. I'm not quite sure how you were going to guard against her becoming pregnant until she was two, when you have an intact male in the house. To me it seems like playing with fire, but what's done is done. I'm glad that you have a vet you can count on and info from SM.My thoughts are with little Terra.

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
I'm glad you have a good support system with your vet nearby, your breeder, and SM. I wish you all the best, and I hope Terra has a safe delivery and healthy babies. :)

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
What happens to the pups? Does Dian get them? Doesn't she own the male? I'm really confused by all of this. It's almost impossible to have an intact male loose and not have the female impregnated. I'm so sorry for little Terra.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I'm not quite sure how you were going to guard against her becoming pregnant until she was two, when you have an intact male in the house.
It's almost impossible to have an intact male loose and not have the female impregnated.
When I saw the thread last night with Terra and Trinity's Halloween pictures, my first thought was that I wondered how long it would be before there was an accidental pregnancy.

Poor Terra. I pray she comes through this safely. She's just a baby herself.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Sending thoughts and prayers that everything does work out just fine with Terra and the pups. .....and that you do end up with your show dog.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Believe me I was not expecting her to go into heat the very week we are gone on vacation and I should have anticipated it but I didn't. Then the chaos of getting back home and my Mom being life flighted to the hospital with a stroke didn't help either.

Triniti is still intact because I was going to show him. But he was given to Malayah to be her junior show dog and because of that fact, I am getting him neutered...too little too late. After the initial tie I kept them in separate areas of the house...or one was in the crate while the other was out. But I also have 5 other people in the house and I am sure one of them was let out with the other (obviously).

Stacy...she went into heat while we were gone so it was the first week of September...but the vet is thinking she didn't get pregnant until the second week.

Brit, Dian and I co-own Triniti and Terra but she and I already talked and the puppies will be mine ( the paperwork states that we share ownership until Terra got her championship). She only asked that, regardless of show quality or not, they be adopted as pets. So I am keeping the puppies and neutering Triniti (and Dian will sign him over fully to me since he won't be shown except for juniors) and if I do find someone who wants to adopt one of the puppies I will talk with Stacy and others to make SURE I have all of the correct procedures down and a contract with the correct language.

But the rudamentory idea is this;

I am keeping the puppies. If someone wants to adopt one:
A. They won't be adoptable until they are 16 weeks or older
B. I will have them wormed, vaccinated and altered BEFORE they go to a new home
C. I would like to inspect the new home enviroment and occupents prior to adoption
D. A contract stating that I guarantee their health and to return the puppy to me should the person be unable to keep them
I know I am missing other points but you guys get my drift.

I was responsible for this accident and I am going to be a responsible person and do the best for Terra and the puppies. She is on high quality puppy food (canned and dry). I also give her scrambled eggs or hardboiled eggs for added protein. The kids haven't been allowed to pick her up for a long time...But now she is currently in my round pen with food, water, and her bed. I am going to keep her quiet in the round pen with minimal disturbance from now until her babies come. Only my husband and myself are handling her.

I know she is just a baby, and I had no intention of this happening. But as others have stated, having Triniti in the same house it was playing with fire. I thought I could handle that situation but obviously I couldn't. At least I am doing my best for her and making sure it won't happen again. I will let you all know when Triniti's appointment for his neuter will be.

I do appreciate the support.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Is your husband agreeable to keeping the puppies? I know you told us just a few weeks ago that you had to get rid of Noel because he didn't want four dogs and all the barking and the mess involved.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes he is Marj and only wants the best homes for them if we do find homes...I know we gave Noel away for those reasons and I know the puppies will cause those same problems. but I have put my foot down so to speak and told him what I told you. That I am going to be responsible and see this through so that all dogs involved will have the best life possible. (believe me I still ache for Noel, and saw her the other day and she is spoiled rotten living the high life and my friend can't imagine life without her).

BTW, I just made an appointment for Triniti's neuter after talking with my breeder (to make sure its okay with her...the co-owner) and she agreed.

So please keep Triniti in your prayers tomorrow. i told you all I was going to be responsible and I am fixing this so that it never happens again. :)

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Oh no!!!!! poor Terra. I can't imagine Lola being pregnant, at 15 months she still seems a puppy.

I hope all goes well. Glad your vet is very close.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts