Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not thinking of getting another puppy right now, or anything, but I would like someday to add to my little family, and I thought perhaps I could get some advice from everyone here. I see all of the pictures with 2, 3, 4 little furbabies, and it makes me think what happy homes you all must have!
I am just a bit concerned because Tavish is an only child and while he doesn't mind other dogs, he has no friends he plays with on a regular basis, so I'm not sure how he would do with a full time playmate, at least in the beginning. Also, he is with me all the time... and he can be a tiny bit possessive. He will come over and jump on my legs or my boyfriends legs if he sees us hugging. My boyfriend will say, "Look, Tavish, I've got mama... I've got her!" And Tav will come careening into the room, hopping on his back legs and jump, somewhat ineffectively for all of his trying, on him. Although, I may be reading the situation wrong as well... perhaps he just wants to be in the middle of the pack! Also, and I'm going to sound like the obsessed mother I am here, Tavish is a sensitive boy.
I saw him interact with three other maltese puppies my breeder had, who were a few weeks younger than him, and they were jumping on him, pushing him out of the way to get food, etc. They were a bunch of hooligans!
Little Tav didn't know how to stand up for himself at all! He is much better now, and actually tried to chase a HUGE dog on the beach the other day (he obviously has no concept of his own size) but Tav is a mama's boy and I wouldn't want to hurt his little feelings by bringing another baby into his home. If anyone has anything they would like to share about adding more babies to their households, I would love to hear from you. In a way I sort of feel like I am betraying Tavish... does that sounds weird?
I would probably keep us as a one furbaby family, if I weren't so in love with hairless Chinese Cresteds as well as Maltese. I don't know if all of you are familiar with the breed, but I think they are the most unusual and fascinating looking creatures on earth! I would love someday to own one. I have met many, and have found them to be very sweet tempered. I think Annie Lusion is the coolest Crested I have seen to date: Annie Lusion at Vanitonia I would also like to have at least one more Maltese. Sorry for the long post. Take care, all!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I also think that chinese cresteds are really interesting dogs! I was at the dog show two weeks ago and struck up a conversation with a really nice girl who was showing 4 of them. Did you know that a lot of the hairless cresteds still have some hair and have to be shaved in order to be shown? It was the wierdest experience of my life to run my hand down the dog's back and feel the stubble! Their skin is really very unique-feeling. The girl at the show had very wonderful things to say about her breeder, if you are serious you may want to check out this link. I have been told Pam is very open to new people who are interested in showing and are looking for a mentor, so if you are interested this could be a good reference point for you.

NCO Chinese Cresteds

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I think your my new best friend lol i have sunny right now and i cant get another dog but i just have been dieing to get a chinese created lol the only reason i got sunny instead of one is that my friends and family thought i was insane for wanting a hairless dog, they why the hair they have grows it kinda reminds me of those horses i forget what they are called the ones the budwiser advertises with lol

So yeah if you get one you just have to let me know how they get along with maltese. Everything i have read about their temperment sounded just great.

I proubly sound insane i am just glad to hear i am not the only person on earth who wants a maltese and a chinese created lol here is a link for a chinese created rescue if your intrested Crest Care

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Count me in on liking Chinese Cresteds!!

Tavish, I have to say that having two does defnitely change the dynamics of your relationship with your first baby.

When it was just Kallie and me we were closer, I think. I was more neurotic about her and I knew that was not healthy. I was this way with my first Maltese, Rosebud, and didn't want to put myself through that again, and had always had in the plan that I would get a second. I wanted some age difference between the two because I don't want to end up with two geriatric dogs at the same time. But there are only two years between them.... I couldn't wait any longer.

Kallie and Catcher get along OK and enjoy playing, but he is so full of himself and she is shy. They'll be just standing near each other and he'll pounce on her... literally. When he gets older (he's 9 months) he will probably not be quite so mischievous and such a tease.

I work really hard at giving both attention. When I'm giving attention to Kallie, Catcher will push her away from me. So, I have to find times when I can do it without him knowing! But I do try to make her feel special but it takes extra effort to always make sure she is not left out... Catcher is such a cute little guy, such a cuddler, and still a puppy, that I tend to shower lots of affection on him.

I give Kallie the privilege of sleeping in my bed, while Catcher sleeps next to the bed in his crate.

It will be easier for you because you have another human at home to help with the affection, attention, etc. when there are two.

With all that said, I love having two.. wouldn't go back to one and would consider one more in a few years...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, I think it is so wonderful that I am not alone in my love for both breeds!
Pippin's mom: Yes, I do know that some have to be shaved... that's the kind that I want! They call them a "hairy hairless". I like them because they have more furnishings. I like a big mane and thick socks!
Thanks so much for the site info- I'll definitely check it out!
Lilly521: I was also between a Crested and a Maltese! And everyone thought I was crazy too! I knew I had to own both someday, but when I found my perfect little Tav I went with a Maltese first, with the understanding that I would get a Crested next. (My boyfriend thinks Cresteds are a bit scary looking... I think he's the crazy one!
) I would also love to have one more Maltese, but now that I have Tav I'm not sure if I should get either!
Thanks so much for the rescue link.
Kallie and Catcher's mom: I know what you mean about being neurotic. I am a tad overprotective when it comes to Tav for sure.
Since Tav is shy I would probably have to find "siblings" that were of similar temperament. Catcher sounds like he wants his mommy all to himself! I think it's a great idea to have Kallie sleep in the "big bed" (that's what we call it around here) and Catcher in his crate next to you.
I think we would do the same thing.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Tavish@Feb 9 2005, 10:49 PM
Oh, I think it is so wonderful that I am not alone in my love for both breeds!
Pippin's mom:  Yes, I do know that some have to be shaved... that's the kind that I want! They call them a "hairy hairless". I like them because they have more furnishings. I like a big mane and thick socks!
  Thanks so much for the site info- I'll definitely check it out!
Lilly521:  I was also between a Crested and a Maltese! And everyone thought I was crazy too! I knew I had to own both someday, but when I found my perfect little Tav I went with a Maltese first, with the understanding that I would get a Crested next. (My boyfriend thinks Cresteds are a bit scary looking... I think he's the crazy one!
) I would also love to have one more Maltese, but now that I have Tav I'm not sure if I should get either!
  Thanks so much for the rescue link.
Kallie and Catcher's mom:  I know what you mean about being neurotic. I am a tad  overprotective when it comes to  Tav for sure. 
Since Tav is shy I would probably have to find "siblings" that were of similar temperament. Catcher sounds like he wants his mommy all to himself! I think it's a great idea to have Kallie sleep in the "big bed" (that's what we call it around here) and Catcher in his crate next to you. 
I think we would do the same thing.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=34552
[/QUOTE]

I have to say.... that photo in your sig. is adorable!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts