Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been insanely busy trying to renovate a new house remotely, working and raising two girls by myself :) But to catch everyone up...
I work in nyc around the corner from a puppy store which is how I ended up with piper. She is a perfect dog...gorgeous coat beautiful face, great personality.
I have since avoided the store bc I have learned about the puppy mills and didn't want to fall in love again.
But I went in there looking for treats one day and saw Lucy.She was playing with the other puppies in the window>>>>tiny but adorable.
I even played with her in the pen...very cute...typical malt puppy. I left and didn't think twice about her. I didn't want another dog and didn't want to support the whole puppy mill thing. She was cute and I was convinced she would sell immediately.
Two weeks later i go back for something...I honestly forget what, and I see her in a glass case alone. Her hair looks scraggly and messy...her face looks greasy and her eyes are leaking some green stuff and almost glued shut. I asked to hold her and she was a bag of bones. Lethargic... Not the chubby little puppy I played with two weeks before.
I went home with her two days later bc I could not get her out of my mind.
I know everyone is thinking it was a bad choice but I knew this dog would end up dead somehow.
I took her to the vet, and washed her and fed her. Got her on meds and made her healthy.
Piper loves her...she really fits in well in my house.
The problem is her hair. OMG. It matts up right away....She has horrible hair and I am not sure if its genetic or if there is something I can do. Matts everywhere! I have brushed them out and she looks ok for a very short period of time but piper always looks wonderful...her hair is like silk. Lucys hair is sparse and coarse and just unattractive.
I call her pig pen.
Honestly shes the sweetest thing I just wish I could get her looking just a little better :(

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Maybe she just needs a sporty cut. She can be Sporty Spice and Pepper can be Posh Spice.

I'm not sure what I would have done in your case, but I am happy for Lucy that she drew the long straw and got to come home with you. I understand what you mean about not wanting her to be abandoned, but couldn't you have reported the store to the humane society or something? If you go back today, I bet there is another poor soul in the same predicament...

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
There are 2 possibilities:

#1. She may be older then you think or have been told so she's going through the "coat change" phase.

#2. This one is probably the reason...Due to her being ill and malnourished her hair will show the effects. Good groceries and time should alleviate the problem.

What food are you feeding now?
When you took her to the vet, what was the evaluation? You have a big heart, and yes she probably would have died without your intervention. Since you know about the mills well,,,
Please, in the future, purchase your supplies from business' that do not sell puppies and kittens.
:Welcome 2:

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
:smilie_daumenpos:WELCOME TO SM, I know how you felt it's so hard watching a fluff suffer, I'm glad you have found us, you will get a great deal of information here, I do hope your girls are healthy and live long lives, give them hugs from me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand what you mean about not wanting her to be abandoned, but couldn't you have reported the store to the humane society or something? If you go back today, I bet there is another poor soul in the same predicament...

of course your right.
But honestly, what were the odds that a phone call would have saved this dog? Would they have gone there, shut them down and placed all those dogs in a matter of days? Doubtful. From what I have seen most stores do not get shut down at all.All the other dogs looked fine to be frank. If she deteriorated that way in 2 weeks ...I think a few more days would have killed her. No one would have bought her thats for sure.

Listen I am not up on puppy mill details except what I was told when I got piper, but I know I can't save all of them....in this case I went a couple of days and could not stand the thought of leaving her there to rot.
I have no regrets, but you have given me an idea.
I could take the paperwork and vet bills and findings and report them now....not sure how far I get but its better then doing nothing>

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

#1. She may be older then you think or have been told so she's going through the "coat change" phase.

#2. This one is probably the reason...Due to her being ill and malnourished her hair will show the effects. Good groceries and time should alleviate the problem.

What food are you feeding now?
When you took her to the vet, what was the evaluation? You have a big heart, and yes she probably would have died without your intervention. Since you know about the mills well,,,
Please, in the future, purchase your supplies from business' that do not sell puppies and kittens.
:Welcome 2:
she was on wellness...then I switched her to stella and chewies (thats what piper eats). All was going well and then out of nowhere, they both stopped eating there food. I mean BOOM, hunger strike. I had some wellness cans left and opened one and they started eating it like it was there last meal. Really odd.
I usually shop at petsmart or on the net for pet supplies (mostly net) but in an emergency (like wee wee pad short or in this case pipers fav treat/chewy was missing) I ill stop there bc its literally steps away from my job. By the time I leave NYC it usually midnight so sometimes its a stop I make. Piper comes to the city with me and now, so does lucy>

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:smilie_daumenpos:WELCOME TO SM, I know how you felt it's so hard watching a fluff suffer, I'm glad you have found us, you will get a great deal of information here, I do hope your girls are healthy and live long lives, give them hugs from me.
Thank you :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

When you took her to the vet, what was the evaluation? Y/QUOTE]

forgot to say...the vet feels she was younger then she should have been. She was 2 pounds and very bony...sickly looking but youthful immature face. VERY delicate feeling...you could not play with her and feel like she was not going to break.
She had a double eye infection, an URI, and from what the vet saw from her records, she was over wormed for her size and age.
And she was also lethargic and anorexic.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe she just needs a sporty cut. She can be Sporty Spice and Pepper can be Posh Spice.
groomer said shes too little to get cut....says it would ruin her hair...believe me that was my first choice

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
of course your right.
But honestly, what were the odds that a phone call would have saved this dog? Would they have gone there, shut them down and placed all those dogs in a matter of days? Doubtful. From what I have seen most stores do not get shut down at all.All the other dogs looked fine to be frank. If she deteriorated that way in 2 weeks ...I think a few more days would have killed her. No one would have bought her thats for sure.

Listen I am not up on puppy mill details except what I was told when I got piper, but I know I can't save all of them....in this case I went a couple of days and could not stand the thought of leaving her there to rot.
I have no regrets, but you have given me an idea.
I could take the paperwork and vet bills and findings and report them now....not sure how far I get but its better then doing nothing>
I'm sure your right about her fate and am so glad she got to come home with you. I think you have a good idea.

Starsmom may be right about the coat. I didn't even think about coat change.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts

When you took her to the vet, what was the evaluation? Y/QUOTE]

forgot to say...the vet feels she was younger then she should have been. She was 2 pounds and very bony...sickly looking but youthful immature face. VERY delicate feeling...you could not play with her and feel like she was not going to break.
She had a double eye infection, an URI, and from what the vet saw from her records, she was over wormed for her size and age.
And she was also lethargic and anorexic.
Poor baby! I AM glad you brought her home!

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
How long have you had the little peanut Lucy? Are you seeing any improvement in her condition since the vet visit? What age does the vet put her at? Questions, questions, questions! OK, I'll stop now.

It just puts me in a mild rage with these millers, and what they intentionally do to these babies.
I know the pet store is just a step away from your workplace, but please reconsider purchasing ANYTHING from them. Any purchase from a puppy/kitten selling pet store indirectly supports puppy mills by keeping these business' in business.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,981 Posts
:Welcome 4:

One of my favorite sayings is: "YOU CAN'T UNFRY AN EGG!"
You might want to try a "leave-in" conditioner for a while to see if that helps. Sometimes diet makes a huge difference.
Sometimes you just have to brush/comb them several times a day.
Use a vest w/a satin liner. Take harness off if they are home.
That is all I can think of tonight. Wishing you only the best w/your new little one.
:wub:

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
You probably just need to give her enough time to get really healthy. It sounds like illness and poor care may be the cause of the poor coat. When I got Cassie (a rescue)her coat was short, yellow and in very poor shape. She now has a beautiful coat. She is not a great example of the breed structure wise, but her coat could be on a show dog. It has taken almost a year for Cassie's coat to grow in and be in great condition. Lots of brushing, good shampoos, conditioners and a good diet did the trick. By the way, I am really lucky, Cassie rarely mats.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How long have you had the little peanut Lucy? Are you seeing any improvement in her condition since the vet visit? What age does the vet put her at? Questions, questions, questions! OK, I'll stop now.

It just puts me in a mild rage with these millers, and what they intentionally do to these babies.
I know the pet store is just a step away from your workplace, but please reconsider purchasing ANYTHING from them. Any purchase from a puppy/kitten selling pet store indirectly supports puppy mills by keeping these business' in business.
I have had her about 6 weeks. She has had a HUGE improvement. She eats, she plays, she is not longer bony, her health is great (her coat is a nightmare). She is in no way as solid like piper though. The vet feels she will be smaller then piper in the end, but not for good reasons or because shes petite. It almost ike a preemy.
Piper is almost 6 pounds but shes very solid.
The vet looked when I first brought Lucy in and felt she was younger then they said or perhaps stunted because of her being taken away too young and getting ill? Its hard to tell. They said she was born in july but shes a little over 2 pounds? She was bred in Arizona and piper was bred somewhere else. You can def tell they are not related.
Piper was beautiful when she was little..people would stop and marvel that they thought she was fake. Lucy reminds me of a charlie brown xmas tree LOL I mean shes so messy its cute. Her ears sit on top of her head where pipers hang down more traditionally. I can't wait for her to get older or bigger so I can give her a good cut though.
Lucy is not scared or withdrawn at all though and she puts piper in her place well enough. She stands up to her and will not hesitate to go after her if she gets on her nerves. She is a barker and piper is not. Piper barks only when she wants something, lucy barks when she hears something.
Im thinking Lucy is the alpha dog just based on their interaction.
I can see why people own more then one dog, they each have such unique personalities it can get additive.
This breed has my heart. They are perfect little kids :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
she has an appointment tomorrow so I will have her weighed again...

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
My Annie was a rescue whom I got at about 6 to 8 months. She had demadex and skin infections and was a big mess. We took her on from rescue right after they got her. She was almost bald and what coat she had was almost orange and dripped with grease. Her skin was red and kind of thick - just weird and she had her own kind of odor. Once we got her healthy, her coat improved - while still not a great coat much much better. Give her a little time and under your loving care it most likely will improve.

Since switching Annie to a pre-mix with fresh protein the last few months her coat has gotten even thicker and is not greasy at all anymore. Nutrition can play a big part.

Linda

·
Premium Member
4,225 Posts
I have had her about 6 weeks. She has had a HUGE improvement. She eats, she plays, she is not longer bony, her health is great (her coat is a nightmare). She is in no way as solid like piper though. The vet feels she will be smaller then piper in the end, but not for good reasons or because shes petite. It almost ike a preemy.
Piper is almost 6 pounds but shes very solid.
The vet looked when I first brought Lucy in and felt she was younger then they said or perhaps stunted because of her being taken away too young and getting ill? Its hard to tell. They said she was born in july but shes a little over 2 pounds? She was bred in Arizona and piper was bred somewhere else. You can def tell they are not related.
Piper was beautiful when she was little..people would stop and marvel that they thought she was fake. Lucy reminds me of a charlie brown xmas tree LOL I mean shes so messy its cute. Her ears sit on top of her head where pipers hang down more traditionally. I can't wait for her to get older or bigger so I can give her a good cut though.
Lucy is not scared or withdrawn at all though and she puts piper in her place well enough. She stands up to her and will not hesitate to go after her if she gets on her nerves. She is a barker and piper is not. Piper barks only when she wants something, lucy barks when she hears something.
Im thinking Lucy is the alpha dog just based on their interaction.
I can see why people own more then one dog, they each have such unique personalities it can get additive.
This breed has my heart. They are perfect little kids :)
Hi Welcome,
Your little girl most likely had a hyoglycemic episode while at the pet store. She also might have been wormy. The coat is affected by both of these health issues. The hair that is left becomes very weird, LOL. It matts and gets yukky quickly.
It sounds like you are going down the right road to getting her healthy again. I am GLAD you had the means to take her home. I believe she would not have made it without you. Thank you.:wub:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Since switching Annie to a pre-mix with fresh protein the last few months her coat has gotten even thicker and is not greasy at all anymore. Nutrition can play a big part.

Linda
what is a premix?
wow I just found it...I wonder if my picky dogs would eat this dr harvery stuff?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts