Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chloe is in a puppy-cut and we keep her hair long enough for a small top-knot. Is there any hair product that I can put on her 'pouf' to keep it from falling forward. I'm looking for something that won't damage the hair.

I have tried hair molding wax and that doesn't hold it. I've also tried different hair gels, but the scents seem to bother her. The only unscented hairspary I found is loaded with alchohol and I'm afraid it will dry her hair out. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Feb 20 2005, 09:29 PM
Does she have fuzzies that are falling down or is her top knot itself falling?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36599
[/QUOTE]

I hate to jump in here... but Catcher has some short hair that falls down ... it is not long enough to fit in his top knot... any way to keep it out of his eyes?

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Just gel it while it grows out. You can use:

#1 All Systems gel
Kolestral (a heavy conditioner)
I've also used the No Frizz stuff from John Freida and liked that. He makes a little tube of something just for this case.

Don't use a product with alcholol as it dries the coat. Avoid lanolin as well (I know Kolestral has some in it, but the conditioning power of it overrides it).

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JMM - it's the hair that's up in the pouf that falls forward. The topknot itself is nice and secure, but basically her hair is so fine that the fountain of hair (some of it) falls forward.

I might try some of the Frizz-ease hair gel.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by CandicePK@Feb 21 2005, 09:20 AM
JMM - it's the hair that's up in the pouf that falls forward.  The topknot itself is nice and secure, but basically her hair is so fine that the fountain of hair (some of it) falls forward.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36631
[/QUOTE]

Is it not long enough to fold over like in the top-knot tutorial?

I know Mee had some cute ways to fix Jongee's hair in a flat style...and I did Brink's in a flat top-knot like thing when he was younger. (now he has no top knot)
Maybe you can just experiment and find ways to make it work until it is long enough to either stay back or fold over...

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
JMM - it's the hair that's up in the pouf that falls forward.  The topknot itself is nice and secure, but basically her hair is so fine that the fountain of hair (some of it) falls forward.

[/QUOTE]

I would use a small band and perhaps alter how far back the top knot is. If the hair above the band is falling out, you need to either start banding the top knot hair back or folding it over.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Feb 21 2005, 09:01 AM
Just gel it while it grows out. You can use:

#1 All Systems gel
Kolestral (a heavy conditioner)
I've also used the No Frizz stuff from John Freida and liked that. He makes a little tube of something just for this case.

Don't use a product with alcholol as it dries the coat. Avoid lanolin as well (I know Kolestral has some in it, but the conditioning power of it overrides it).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=36629
[/QUOTE]

Great tips... thank you so much!!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts

[/QUOTE]

I think a "pouf" topknot is more what they do on Shih Tsu's or Yorkies. I actually downloaded a how to a while back and they suggest pulling a small bit of hair (just a few strands) from the center to stablize the "fountain."

How to make a topknot

Take their hair in a triangle shape…from the corner of their eyes to the center of their head.
Brush/comb hair into a neat ponytail in the top center of their head centered between their ears.
Place a latex band in their hair part way down about inch from their head, wrap the band around their ponytail two or three times.
Flop the hair over the band and take a tiny strand of hair (think of a palm tree) and push the rest of their hair down.
Pull a strand of hair from the right and left side on the back of their head.
This will form a “poof” at the front of their head.
Place bow over first latex band and wrap the band around at least twice.

For Maltese, we usually wrap the hair with papers, then fold it over. That seems to hold it pretty well for me.

Take a look at Jackie's topknot tutorial. It's great!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts