Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I take Vy to the vet, I am very wary of the other pets, what they have, and what she can potentially catch.
A typical vets visit for us consists of me donning those paper shoes over my own shoes the minute I step out of the car. I have Vy in her carrier and I bring along my own towel. I usually call the receptionist and let her know I am downstairs (I time my arrival so I am there 5 minutes before our appt) and when does she anticipate we will be seen. I then wait in the car until the exact time she tells me to come up (she usually says about 10 minutes which in turn is really 15). I don't take Vy out of her carrier, but if I do, i place her on my lap on top of the towel. Once we are in the exam room, I place Vy on the towel until she's done. After the visit, my vet thinks I am crazy, I toss the towel, and place her back in her carrier. Right before I get in the car, I discard the paper shoes. LOL
I know that is a little much but it works well for us. Every time the vet sees us, he just laughs because he knows that is our routine and nothing he can say to me will make me change it.

How does your typical vet's visit go? Any idiosyncrasies you care to share?

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Oh my goodness! This is so crazy that you posted this because here is what I do:

Before I even leave the house, I get all the bath essentials ready, so when I get home (whoever went to the vet) goes right into the tub. (I purposely take them separately, so I can immediately give them a bath). I also wear those flip flop shoes that are made of rubber/plastic (it doesn't matter if it is -10 outside LOL). I fill a small bucket with bleach water and set it outside so when I come home I just drop the shoes right in. Also, after giving them a bath, I throw my clothes into the washer and take a shower.

While at the vet (we never wait--they bring us right in) I try to hold Toby (forget holding Wally), but the room is made for the dogs to run and play; I have seen them sanitize the rooms after each dog, so I feel a bit better.

I also wash Toby's car seat towel in a bleach/water/detergent solution.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Talk about being thorough.

Well, if they think you're' nuts....just say...

Well, doc, it's my obcessive compulsive disorder. hee hee.

Ever see Bill Murray in "What about Bob?" ...........so funny!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Let me tell you from today's experience that when they are in sudden need of emergency treatment, all that prep goes out the window and you just grab the baby and run - and when you walk into that clinic all thoughts of what others might have just empty out of your mind, because your one concern will be "what does my baby have, is it treatable, and will she survive this"....

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
I don't mean to make you even more paranoid but................what about the air-borne virus'?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Talk about being thorough.

Well, if they think you're' nuts....just say...

Well, doc, it's my obcessive compulsive disorder. hee hee.

Ever see Bill Murray in "What about Bob?" ...........so funny![/B]
LOVED that movie.... !!! Yes, can you imagine what he would have done when going to the vet's!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't mean to make you even more paranoid but................what about the air-borne virus'?[/B]

uh oh LOL
Seriously though, I know we can't prevent everything (same way with humans), some things will 'slip through the cracks'. However, I feel more comfortable with my preventative means, like, it's working it's working. You know the old adage, if it ain't broke, don't fix it

I pray we never have an emergency but I know that could still happen. Everything I've been doing will ofcourse go out the window. When you are rushing, you tend to leave everything behind and concentrate on the task at hand.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
WOW!! I never thought of doing any of those things for a Vet visit.
I just keep chulita in her carrier and if she is out of that she is in my arms.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts