Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

A very touching Chistmas story that happend at work last night...

819 views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  Caesar's Mommie 
#1 ·
I just had to share this with you guys....
We have had this patient in the hospital for over 2 months now. He has spent A LOT of time in the ICU. He had been battling a very rough battle with illness. He finally has decided to 'surrender', wanted everything pulled out/turned off except a continuous pain medicine pump for his comfort. We have all in the ICU grown very close to him and his family since he has been in the ICU for weeks at a time. His wife is there every morning at 5am or earlier, his sons are there a lot and very very close a very close family who is always reminding the other that they love them. Anyway, as imagined it has been very difficult for the wife to accept that he wants to just be let go naturally and in comfort, is really almost numb at times with the whole situation. One of our House Keepers, when finding out she was letting the love of her life go, immediately went to the phone and called her grandma telling her that this lady needed a cat. Later that night she comes walking in with a cat carrier with a little "meow, meow" coming from inside the box. She walked up to the wife in the patient's room and handed her her new kitten, and said "Merry Christmas, now you have someone to cuddle with through all of this". They even put a little Christmas scarf on the cat. I think they adopted it from somewhere around her but not positive. There were many tears when that happend, it was a very special event to witness. Just wanted to share this story with you.

See less See more
#4 ·
That particular housekeeper must have a heart of gold. What a touching story.

#7 ·
That is such a heartwarming story of caring.
I have to say based on my own personal experence of ICU staff that they also are a very special group of ppl.Had it not been for the ICU staff when my brother was there,I probably would have not made it through it.They care so much,they kept telling me it was their job to take care of their patients,but the patients family also. And even the housekeepers in ICU are that way also.There was one that would bring me in coffee every morning when she came into work.She would make a fresh pot and bring me a cup before she had hers.The whole ICU unit is just filled with alot of caring loving staff.The ICU's around here limt the time you can spend in with a patient to 10 min every hour.But the one my brother was in ,put no limit on the time I spent in there.

#10 ·
You have very special people working with you. Thanks for sharing that very uplifting story. Even in times of sadness, thoughtful and happy things can occur.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.