Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago, Marisa posted this link in a thread discussing tear stains. This article is the most informative of any I have ever read on the subject. Maggie has agreed to post it as a sticky, so that it is easily available for reference and to new comers.

Thanks Marisa, thanks Maggie and special thanks to Dr. Greg Magnusson.

A Veterinary Guide to Tear Stains

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Wow I did not know that about Angel Eyes! I have used it in the past with my Wheatens, but after reading this -never again. Very helpful article for a new maltese owner :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I did use Angels Eyes in Jan. for about 3 weeks. Then I started worrying about using it and decided to just toss it. Now I just wash Oakley's face twice daily and use Fresh Eyes
Do you use fresh eyes twice daily or do you wash with something else and use the fresh eyes in addition to that?

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
My vet actually suggested I try Angel Eyes for my Maltese/Pekingese who was a shelter dog I adopted about 4 years ago. She's had a lot of trouble with tear stain and crud, even before she was mine! A little while ago I bought the smallest jar of it, on sale on line. I thought it might have worked. However, we had also flushed her tear ducts while under anesthesia for a major dental, and had given her a somewhat different hairdo with a topknot to keep fur out of her eyes more.

Anyway, I used up the small bottle and thought it had helped. So I went on line to the same website to order more. But when I compared the label on the bottle to the ingredients listed on the website, there were two more ingredients on the website!

I don't know if they changed the formula or if they failed to disclose the contents on the bottle. But I decided not to order any more until I understand this discrepancy!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
How do we mark this article so it's easy to find? Is it the icon on the far right after the "quote" one?
And where would we find this mark later when we chose to re read this article?

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
It's been made a "sticky" - something done by an administrator so that it stays at the top of the forum "Maltese Grooming." :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Great article. I did not know tear stains can be caused by iron. Learn something new every day.
I used some genteal eye drops on cotton ball and it worked great to remove the stains. Cotton ball was light brown afterwards.
Thanks for the article.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Thanks for posting! I had read a similar article many moons ago-19 years and have been using the eye wash ever since. This was helpful in that I continue to do the right thing!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Interesting article, but I have one question. I use stainless steel bowls, I clean her eyes daily with warm water and cotton but the problem remains. not only in eyes but and around her mouth. So, what can I do?
I would really appreciate any advice.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts