Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Interesting article, but I have one question. I use stainless steel bowls, I clean her eyes daily with warm water and cotton but the problem remains. not only in eyes but and around her mouth. So, what can I do?
I would really appreciate any advice.
How old is she? Daisy had tear stains that went away once she had all of her baby teeth removed.

·
Registered
514 Posts
She is 5 and a half months old. I don't think that she has already change her teeth. When all baby teeth are removed?
Sometimes they will come out on their own. Daisy had hers removed at 7.5 months when she got spayed. She had 11 baby teeth still in and almost all her adult teeth already coming in. She now has almost no tear staining, just some morning eye "gook". I think they are supposed to come out on their own by 10 months, however I had it done while she was spayed so that she only needed to have one surgery. Plus our vet gave us a discount and charged $50 to remove the teeth in addition to the spay, where teeth removal would be $15/tooth ($115). The vet we see doesn't charge anesthesia fees to foreigners so it was a lot cheaper for us to do it in Korea vs in the States.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sometimes they will come out on their own. Daisy had hers removed at 7.5 months when she got spayed. She had 11 baby teeth still in and almost all her adult teeth already coming in. She now has almost no tear staining, just some morning eye "gook". I think they are supposed to come out on their own by 10 months, however I had it done while she was spayed so that she only needed to have one surgery. Plus our vet gave us a discount and charged $50 to remove the teeth in addition to the spay, where teeth removal would be $15/tooth ($115). The vet we see doesn't charge anesthesia fees to foreigners so it was a lot cheaper for us to do it in Korea vs in the States.

Thank you for your reply! I am going to wait about baby teeth to remove.. But one hour ago I opened her mouth and I saw the bottom canines are still there and the new canines are out. So is it normal? (I hope you can understand what I mean due to my bad english)
Now about the vets here in Greece are soooo expensive. I pay 50euro (55 dollars) for just one visit to take the pill for antiparasitic treatment.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Thank you for your reply! I am going to wait about baby teeth to remove.. But one hour ago I opened her mouth and I saw the bottom canines are still there and the new canines are out. So is it normal? (I hope you can understand what I mean due to my bad english)
Now about the vets here in Greece are soooo expensive. I pay 50euro (55 dollars) for just one visit to take the pill for antiparasitic treatment.
I think I know what you mean. Daisy had both sets of canine teeth at the same time. They removed her puppy canines and other teeth and she already had her adult ones. She also started eating more once they were removed. If you're having her spayed I would suggest asking to have puppy teeth removed at the same time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think I know what you mean. Daisy had both sets of canine teeth at the same time. They removed her puppy canines and other teeth and she already had her adult ones. She also started eating more once they were removed. If you're having her spayed I would suggest asking to have puppy teeth removed at the same time.
No I haven't her spayed because the vet told me that is better for her to do it at age of 1years. Do you think she needs a surgery to remove baby canines?

·
Registered
514 Posts
No I haven't her spayed because the vet told me that is better for her to do it at age of 1years. Do you think she needs a surgery to remove baby canines?
I think you should talk to your vet. Mine had suggested waiting till she was 10 months old to have the puppy teeth removed to see if they would come out on her own, but I didn't want her to have another surgery because anesthesia can be dangerous. I also don't know the benefits of waiting till she is a year old to spay her, my vet never said anything except to wait until she was 6 months old. Maybe that is a question you can try and find on the forum or ask.

I personally believe it is best to do both surgeries at the same time, however I'm definitely not a vet and Daisy is my first Maltese. I've only owned a Newfoundland before and he was neutered at a year and a half.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think you should talk to your vet. Mine had suggested waiting till she was 10 months old to have the puppy teeth removed to see if they would come out on her own, but I didn't want her to have another surgery because anesthesia can be dangerous. I also don't know the benefits of waiting till she is a year old to spay her, my vet never said anything except to wait until she was 6 months old. Maybe that is a question you can try and find on the forum or ask.

I personally believe it is best to do both surgeries at the same time, however I'm definitely not a vet and Daisy is my first Maltese. I've only owned a Newfoundland before and he was neutered at a year and a half.
Ok, thanks again for your help.. I will talk to my vet.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just to add for information, I´ve had 7 toy breeds, three of them Maltese, and so far none of them has had to have teeth removed. Having plenty of toys and chews, the teeth tend to come out on their own while the pups play.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Just to add for information, I´ve had 7 toy breeds, three of them Maltese, and so far none of them has had to have teeth removed. Having plenty of toys and chews, the teeth tend to come out on their own while the pups play.
That's a really good point. It definitely depends on the dog. I'm not sure if size has anything to do with it. Maybe a small mouth means there's less room for teeth to come in. Daisy is definitely on the small side for a Maltese and at almost 8 months she still had 11 in. She had lost some on her own and some of the smaller ones were loose.

I did notice that after she had them removed she ate a lot more. I think the crowding was causing discomfort when she ate. She gets weighed today at the vets so I'll find out if she's gained weight.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I started using Systane human eye drops on Gigi. First ingredient is boric acid and it seems to be working the best so far. I clean her eyes at least once a day and still have staining because of her bad cut at the shelter. They really cut back around her eyes and face and I think the hair growing back is irritating her eyes but it's growing and soon she will get a little tiny top knot. I can't wait.

I love the Spa Lavish but I don't like using it every day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I started using Systane human eye drops on Gigi. First ingredient is boric acid and it seems to be working the best so far. I clean her eyes at least once a day and still have staining because of her bad cut at the shelter. They really cut back around her eyes and face and I think the hair growing back is irritating her eyes but it's growing and soon she will get a little tiny top knot. I can't wait.

I love the Spa Lavish but I don't like using it every day.
You use this liquid inside her eyes or at hair?
you can use vaseline around her eyes until hair grow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Casper currently eats blue buffalo grain free puppy. I was planning on ordering fromm gold but saw there is recalls. Should I just stick to blue buffalo?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for sharing, that was a lot of great information.

I am new to this forum and am loving all the terrific folks and info I'm finding

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thank you for the wonderful article. It makes alot of sense. I would have never figured out any of that myself and all of the scientifics behind helps me to understand the makeup of my baby boy. I am really glad for this site. Thank you everyone!!

Cheryl

21 - 38 of 38 Posts