Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So many of you already know the story of what happened to Benny last month. But I wanted to warn all of our SM members who haven't been able to read about Benny of the dangers behind the use of heating pads.

Right before Memorial Day I had brought Ben to have a dental. B&E were going to a very respected vet and we absolutely LOVED the practice. So Ben goes in for his dental and while I take excellent care of their teeth he still needed 13 teeth extracted. He came home and 2 days later I notice he is crying in pain when I pick him up and notice what seems to be a bruise on the back right side of his body. I figure he had a reaction to an injection. Within a few days the "bruise" seems to spread along the right side of his body. I bring him back to his vet to look over the “bruises” and he tells me that Benny must have been burned w/the heating pad they used after his dental. They used an electric heating pad to keep him warm after coming out of anesthesia. At this point I was told to wait and see what the burns do and to come back after a few days for a re-check. Over the next few days the burns continued to spread along the entire right side of his body so badly that I brought him back to his vet earlier than his re-check appointment. I was then told Benny would need debridement surgery to have the burned skin removed.

A few days later Benny went in for surgery at a specialty hospital. The skin was removed from his body and he was heavily stitched. The stitches were removed around 10 days later but he may never grow hair back in the areas that were burned and he has a large scar that runs along the right side of his body.

Benny is doing much better but he still shows a lot of agitation. He has a long road ahead of him. We have since switched vets after this experience.

I wanted to warn everyone that when you bring your little ones in for surgery make sure they do not use electric heating pads! Benny obviously was left unattended for a long amount of time w/that pad on him. Had he been checked then maybe the tech/vet would have noticed that the pad was burning him but the bottom line was he suffered 3rd degree burns. I was told by several other vets that this is the very reason vets have discontinued the use of electric heating pads. There are safer methods out there. PLEASE do not risk it! Make sure your vet doesn’t use these in their offices. I never want to see another dog or family go through this.

Below are pictures of how the burns progressed….

When the first burns were first discovered:

A few days later...this shows how the burns changed. This was taken right before debridement surgery....

After the burns were removed....

And our Benny boy now. His groomer did a great job of trying to clean him up for me last week and give him a cut that would fade into the shaved part of his body...

This post isn't here to bash our former vet but rather to give a warning of what could happen if your vet uses electric heating pads. Thank you for all the support throughout our ordeal. I pray none of you ever have to see your little one go through what we had to see Benny go through. It was just awful. My groomer even said to me that she could see the pain in Benny's eyes. That she could tell he had been through something terrible. Slowly his spark is coming back, but we are reminded everyday of Benny's ordeal when we look at him. He is changed. Period. We just hope in time he will be back to being the Benny he used to be and this will all be totally behind us.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I started crying seeing Benny and imaging the pain he must have gone through. I will pray that he fully recovers and returns to being the Benny he used to be. Please give him lots of kisses and let him know he is loved by many. Thank you for sharing this you may have just saved another dog from suffering.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I'm so sorry that your precious Benny had to go through that ordeal. I hope he returns to his happy self soon. Give him lots more hugs and kisses.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Oh Tammy! Poor little Ben. I am so sorry. Thank you for the warning, hopefully this will save any dogs that could have to go through this ordeal. You must be so upset over this, not that you didn't have more than enough on your plate right now. :grouphug:

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Poor Benny. This was a difficult post to view - I can only imagine how horrific it must have been for you and Benny to deal with. So sorry that you had to go through this. Thanks for sharing - I don't know that I would ever have thought to ask about how monitoring takes place after a procedure but now I will. Hoping for continued recovery for Benny, that he returns to being as happy as he used to and that you will be able to put this behind you quickly.

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Tammy, I am so glad that the worst part is now behind Ben and he will continue to heal and get better. I still get an upset stomach and the chills when I think of what this poor little boy has gone through. Hugs to all of you.:grouphug::grouphug:
Lynda

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Tammy, my heart still hurts over what happened to sweet Benny. I can't imagine how hard this has been on you. Thank you so much for posting this and although the pictures are hard to look at, they have certainly made us aware of the dangers.

I will continue praying for Benny. I have a really strong feeling that his spark will return and he'll be just as he was before. Please give him a gentle hug from me. :wub:

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know the pictures are hard for everyone to look at. I always prided myself in being such a good malt mom. Being smart about food and health care choices for B&E, bringing them to good vets, etc....YET this STILL happened. It's certainly a lesson to us all. We can never be too cautious or over protective of our little ones. Never be afraid to ask! I also had no clue about the dangers of heating pads prior to this happening. So the more people that are aware the better off our babies will be.

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
Oh how horrifying! I am so sorry you and your baby had to go through this. Although difficult to see, thank you for sharing, it would never have occured to me to even ask that question.

·
Super Moderator
9,597 Posts
I am so sorry, this is horrible. Vet offices should not be using heating pads, period. In human hospitals, they use warmed blankets because of the burn potentials of heating pads.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Tammy -- thanks for posting again. If you don't mind, I'm going to sticky this post.

I've been in dogs (breeding, showing, etc.) for more than 30 years and yet, I still have never seen anything like this. It was a real eye opener for me.

When Tilly had her mole removed a couple of weeks ago, even though only a local was used, I asked about heating pads. Because of what happened to sweet little Benny, I now know to check on this whenever I'm leaving any of my fluffs for a procedure.

Tammy -- how is your little boy doing? Hope he's healing well (the picture after the stitches are out looks great). How's he doing emotionally?

·
Premium Member
17,351 Posts
It is amazing how smart we all are and how little we know really. Thank you Tammy for helping educate all of us---we learn at little Benny's expense.
I also learned to put a seat belt on my babies because someone on here lost a little girl in an accident after a spay. Hard lessons.
Kisses to sweet Benny, big hug for you and a wink at your little girl. Won't be long now!

·
Premium Member
2,687 Posts
Benny has continued to stay in my prayers. My heart still breaks for him and what he has endured. Thank you for posting this awareness for everyone Tammy. His skin looks like it is healing nicely since the stitches have come out. I am still praying for a full recovery for sweet Benny - medically and emotionally. Please give him kisses for me.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts