Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Tammy -- thanks for posting again. If you don't mind, I'm going to sticky this post.

I've been in dogs (breeding, showing, etc.) for more than 30 years and yet, I still have never seen anything like this. It was a real eye opener for me.

When Tilly had her mole removed a couple of weeks ago, even though only a local was used, I asked about heating pads. Because of what happened to sweet little Benny, I now know to check on this whenever I'm leaving any of my fluffs for a procedure.

Tammy -- how is your little boy doing? Hope he's healing well (the picture after the stitches are out looks great). How's he doing emotionally?
YES! Please sticky it Lynn! Thank you! I want everyone to know about this risk.

He's doing so so Lynn. Starting to come around again but he's still not 100% Benny. Keep in mind all the changes...the new house and renovations too, but the burns certainly are what really changed him. He can be withdrawn and reactive at times, but I'm also giving him to time to adjust to when the house is done to see if he settles down after that. I will contact a behaviorist if I don't see any improvement. Skin wise he's healing nicely but he does have some completely bald spots. No hair growing back at all yet in some areas. I am hopeful that over time you won't be able to notice.

And I'm really glad you asked your vet about heating pads. I want our story to help others! :wub:

It is amazing how smart we all are and how little we know really. Thank you Tammy for helping educate all of us---we learn at little Benny's expense.
I also learned to put a seat belt on my babies because someone on here lost a little girl in an accident after a spay. Hard lessons.
Kisses to sweet Benny, big hug for you and a wink at your little girl. Won't be long now!
Yup! This is why we must all share our experiences...good and bad. As a community we have to make each other aware.

And can you believe....ONLY 5 more weeks till baby gir'sl arrival
! :w00t:
Benny has continued to stay in my prayers. My heart still breaks for him and what he has endured. Thank you for posting this awareness for everyone Tammy. His skin looks like it is healing nicely since the stitches have come out. I am still praying for a full recovery for sweet Benny - medically and emotionally. Please give him kisses for me.
Thank you! Yes he's healing nicely....I just hope he doesn't have to have bald spots forever. Regardless....he will always be adorable and loved. :wub:

·
Premium Member
1,622 Posts
Tammy, it brings tears to my eyes to see the suffering sweet Benny endured. But I am so grateful to you for sharing your story. I would never have guessed that heating pads were used after anesthesia. Ella has a check up on Wednesday, and I am going to ask my vet if she uses heating pads in her practice. We try our best to be advocates for our precious "babies", so it's scary to think that we don't even know all the questions to ask!

I'm praying that Benny will continue to heal both physically and emotionally from his burns. With your love, I have faith that Benny will overcome this tragedy.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
I know the pictures are hard for everyone to look at. I always prided myself in being such a good malt mom. Being smart about food and health care choices for B&E, bringing them to good vets, etc....YET this STILL happened. It's certainly a lesson to us all. We can never be too cautious or over protective of our little ones. Never be afraid to ask! I also had no clue about the dangers of heating pads prior to this happening. So the more people that are aware the better off our babies will be.
Tammy, you ARE absolutely a wonderful malt mama. I'm so sad that you and Benny are going through this- it must break your heart to see him go through the pain and anxiety of it all. But, if anyone has a chance at a full recovery (both physically and emotionally), it is Benny. With your love and care, I hope and pray for complete healing in all ways possible.

The real danger of second-degree burns is that they can progress to third-degree/full-thickness burns during the healing process (as seen in Benny's pics). To the under-trained eye, it might not look so bad initially- but these types of burns need to have cautiously aggressive monitoring. This is not to bash your vet or anyone-- just a reminder that if something looks "off," ask the questions! Tammy, you did the right thing by taking Benny in sooner than his appointment.

I know that beyond the physical healing, you are most concerned with his emotional well-being. Keep nurturing him as you are and as his pain and discomfort resolves, the happy Benny will return. I hope you will update us with his progress. We are thinking of you, Benny and Emma! :hugging:

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Benny looks wonderful - you have taken good care of him! Giovanni was recently neutered and I made certain no electric heating pads would be used. Here's to a complete recovery for sweet Benny!

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Tammy thank you so much for sharing Benny's painful and your emotional experience. You have not only educated us, but educated all of our friends who aren't on this forum too. This is not something I would have thought of in a million year. You just don't know what you don't know.

Kisses and puppy snuggles to Benny, feel 100% soon little dude!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thank you so much for sharing this ! I really feel for and will be thinking about Benny. I will be calling my vet to ask the question ASAP. Major eye opener !!

·
Super Moderator
10,144 Posts
Tammy, this breaks my heart all over again. Please tell sweet little Benny that his Awntie Maggie loves him very much and wishes she were there to snuggle him. Hugs to you, too and also Emma.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Tammy I am horrified to see beautiful Benny like that. I hope you sue the vet for negligence. They should have been checking that pad and watching him. Oh poor little Benny. I will never forget this and will tell Benny's story to all my friends so this tragic incident doesn't happen again. I hope and pray as Benny!s body heals so will his spirits and he will be your old Benny. Rocky and I send lots of get well wishes. You must have been a wreck seeing him like that! I am so sorry that happened to sweet Benny!

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Tammy, you ARE absolutely a wonderful malt mama. I'm so sad that you and Benny are going through this- it must break your heart to see him go through the pain and anxiety of it all. But, if anyone has a chance at a full recovery (both physically and emotionally), it is Benny. With your love and care, I hope and pray for complete healing in all ways possible.

The real danger of second-degree burns is that they can progress to third-degree/full-thickness burns during the healing process (as seen in Benny's pics). To the under-trained eye, it might not look so bad initially- but these types of burns need to have cautiously aggressive monitoring. This is not to bash your vet or anyone-- just a reminder that if something looks "off," ask the questions! Tammy, you did the right thing by taking Benny in sooner than his appointment.

I know that beyond the physical healing, you are most concerned with his emotional well-being. Keep nurturing him as you are and as his pain and discomfort resolves, the happy Benny will return. I hope you will update us with his progress. We are thinking of you, Benny and Emma! :hugging:
Thank you! And so true....the burns did not start out that way. They progressed over a week's time. This is also why the surgeon waited to do the surgery...she wanted the burns to finish changing and spreading. The day Ben came home from his dental there was absolutely no immediate indication that he was burned. The burns and Ben's agitation didn't begin until 2 days later.

And thank you for all the good thoughts. Please do feel free to pass this along to all your friends who are not in our community. The more people that know the better off our babies will be.

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
:wub:eek:h my Benny :angry: i gotta give it to you i dont know who kept you calm and could of stayed so calm i think you would of hurt someone after seeing that i know i would of flipped but thank God hes ok lots and lots of hugs and loveeeee :wub::wub:

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Tammy, I'm SO sorry you and Benny went through this :( Thank you for sharing your story, as I'm sure it will help other dogs. I hope and pray Benny will get over this traumatic experience.

Hugs,

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
OMG!!!!!!!!! That is absolutely HORRIBLE. It is totally unbelievable that something like this could even happen! I am so sorry. That poor little baby!!!! That is gut wrenching!!!! Please give Benny hugs and kisses from us. Hopefully the vet paid for all your surgery expenses!

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Thank you so much for sharing Benny's story. I can not even imagine how traumatizing this must have been for you and your sweet boy. I will continue to pray for his physical and emotional recovery. I just baffled that this happened while in the care of the vet and I do hope that the vet did what they should and paid and continues to pay for Benny's medical needs. Hugs to you both.

·
Registered
112 Posts
That is just horrible! I'm know you don't want to bash the old vet but there is no excuse for that! That poor baby has suffered and will continue to suffer, as will you. I will pray for complete healing!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm sorry for not saying this before, but thank you so much for sharing this so that the rest of us will be careful to forbid our vets from using the heating pads!

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
ohmygoodness. Thank you so much for posting about this with the photos for a warning. I'm going to tell our Vet about this when we go in for our checkup in August. I'm so terribly sorry that poor Benny had to suffer through this. I can very well believe that it did change him. I hope that is not permanent. xxx

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't even have words to express my heartbreak for what Benny had to go through. God love him. Give him a {{gentle hug}} from Gidget and Lulu.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Oh my word! I am just now seeing this post and sweet Benny's horrible burn! I am so sorry he had to go through this! Love and wet kisses from Awtie Tanya and Giwlfriend Chloe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am so sorry about your beautiful boy and hope that he continues to improve. This may seem like a silly question but is there a safer way to keep small animals warm whilst they cannot do this for themselves?
I have used a plug in pad so many times for tiny pups or poorly rescues and they have been invaluable. I am now trying to think of a safer method though I was wondering whether to add a thermostat with a cut out.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts