Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Oh, poor Benny!! :( I would have been infuriated and said some regretful things to that vet...

Thank you so much for posting this... we still have to take Ozzie in for his dental and I wouldn't have thought to ask about heating pads... Thank you again!!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Tammy, I am so sorry that Benny had to endure this. :( I think it is a wonderful thing that you are bringing about an awareness regarding how dangerous electric heating pads are. I will continue to keep Benny in my prayers. {{{{{Hugs}}}}}

Miss Daisy has a dental this upcoming Thursday and I am going to have another in depth conversation with him about this. I do not want Daisy to have one in her pen and will be providing him with her blanket, like I have many times before when she had to be there for a period of time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
OMG! Thanks for sharing. I am so sorry and for your poor baby! This Dr should pay be time!!!!!!!!! I am in shock just looking at this photos.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Poor Benny thanks for sharing I hope he gets well soon he still looks beautifu or should o say handsome as he Is a fella.I'm sure he'll be running around soon getting up to his old tricks like many have said before me give him hugs and kisses from us. It's good to know these things even though it must have been hard for you to write so thankyou

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm a reader and I've spent a month or so reading older posts and I really want to thank you for sharing this information. I ask my vet and he does use the heating pads. He assured me that they are very low heat however I still requested them not be used. I surely hope Benny has fully recovered.

Thanks Again.

·
Premium Member
24,006 Posts
I'm a reader and I've spent a month or so reading older posts and I really want to thank you for sharing this information. I ask my vet and he does use the heating pads. He assured me that they are very low heat however I still requested them not be used. I surely hope Benny has fully recovered.

Thanks Again.
Trena - my vet uses heating pads that aren't electric and that warm water flows through. She told me they stopped using regular heating pads years ago because of safety issues. Maybe your vet is unaware of what can happen and if you show him the post they may consider getting the newer safer ones. When dogs are under anesthesia, as people, warming blankets are often needed.

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
Before I sign for any procedure now I want to see that they've specified the type of heating pads they use....ie the water circulating ones, not the other kind.

if it's not on the typed ' release' (or whatever they call the paperwork) they can add it and initial.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Trena - my vet uses heating pads that aren't electric and that warm water flows through. She told me they stopped using regular heating pads years ago because of safety issues. Maybe your vet is unaware of what can happen and if you show him the post they may consider getting the newer safer ones. When dogs are under anesthesia, as people, warming blankets are often needed.
This is what my vet uses also.

·
Registered
530 Posts
OH my goodness! I'm so very sorry for your sweet Benny!

Thank you and to everyone else who shared the info about the other type heating pads! Good information for all of us!

Hope Benny is doing better each and every day!

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Oh my goodness, i didn't know this had happened so I am glad it surfaced again. The things you just never think about and assume the trained professionals would know better. I hope Benny recovered

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Thanks girls. Margaret told me this old thread recirculated. It's been 2 years and you would never know anything happened to Benny. His hair grew back in great. He does have slight sensitivity at the burn site, but nothing that causes him pain. Glad that nightmare is behind us.

PS...it's too bad my photos in the original post don't show up anymore. I'm sorry! I am not sure how they got deleted. Probably something to do w/my photobucket account. They really showed how severe the situation was.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thank You,
I was so shocked because I assumed my vet knew of this danger, guess that's why we shouldn't assume :blink:.
He's a good friend so I'll share this information with him.

Glad to know Benny recovered with minimal issues.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Benny has continued to stay in my prayers. My heart still breaks for him and what he has endured. Thank you for posting this awareness for everyone Tammy. His skin looks like it is healing nicely since the stitches have come out. I am still praying for a full recovery for sweet Benny - medically and emotionally. Please give him kisses for me.
Thank you for sharing this . I’m so sorry that happen to him.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts