Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D Ok, so we are having wet paw problems after using the wee-pad...

I thought about the Wiz-dog, but it is pricey, and we have already invested 20.00 a piece in three dog litter pans...so I hated to spend a WHOLE lot more...

So....trying to be creative and cheap
I thought about this and chatted with some others about alternatives. I looked at getting a "sifting" cat litter box. It has a grate like thing in the bottom that would serve the same purpose...but they are 10-15 dollars and I would have to cut the wee pads in half or waste them because the box is not as big. So, my next alternative was to find some of that plastic craft grid stuff like people do latch-hook on.
While at Wal-mart tonight, I mosied on over to the craft section to check it out. I got a 12 pack of the plastic pieces for $2.50!
Two of them fit almost perfectly side by side in the dog litter pans.
So I put them in there to see what he would do. I guess he hasn't had to potty yet...but both his pads have a pee spot, so hopefully he will just figure it out. If not, I will back-step and put them under the pads. Since I put them in his litterbox, hopefully it will not freak him out too much and he will try it out. I am hoping that these will be easy to stick in some bleach water and clean...and if they get TOO nasty, they are very cheap to replace!
Just another alternative!
Will keep you posted on how it works!!!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It didn't work!

The grid is not thick enough...it doesn't sit above the pad enough...his morning pee soaked his feet anyway.

Oh well, I was only out $2.50. Now I am trying to brainstorm a way to lift them higher...

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I was disappointed to hear it did not work. Maybe you will find something out there that does and come up with your own product. That way you can supply to SM cheaper.

I also would like to get one more Wizdog... but you’re not kidding when you said it is expensive. I mean yeah it worth it over all. I wish I had bought two at the same time saving me the shipping and handling plus the GST and other delivery charges...
So mine was no were near the 30 bucks. Having things shipped to Canada... is such a rip off. I have been trying to see if local store will pick it up. Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I came across this website that has a similar product to the Wizdog and lots cheaper.. I'm tempted to give it a try since I love the idea of the Wizdog but disliked the actual product.. here's a link: Yogi Puppy Toilet

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Mystify79@May 29 2005, 06:16 PM
I came across this website that has a similar product to the Wizdog and lots cheaper.. I'm tempted to give it a try since I love the idea of the Wizdog but disliked the actual product.. here's a link: Yogi Puppy Toilet
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=66650
[/QUOTE]

Looks almost exactly like the Wizdog to me...but on sale it is a better price.
I may look into it, or just do the 10$ sifting litter box...I would have to sit and cut my wee pads in half first, but I guess it would end up saving money in the end...

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Mystify79@May 29 2005, 07:16 PM
[/QUOTE]

I don't "get" what is so great about this product. Wouldn't the top portion get dirty and have to be washed all the time? My guys never have a problem with getting urine on them.... their fur or their feet. I don't know why, but I've never seen any yellow on them anywhere. I use pee pads and the urine soaks right in. I change them about twice a day... If there is something I'm missing about the benefits of the Wizdog type product let me know!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+May 29 2005, 09:15 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Mystify79
@May 29 2005, 07:16 PM
I don't "get" what is so great about this product. Wouldn't the top portion get dirty and have to be washed all the time? My guys never have a problem with getting urine on them.... their fur or their feet. I don't know why, but I've never seen any yellow on them anywhere. I use pee pads and the urine soaks right in. I change them about twice a day... If there is something I'm missing about the benefits of the Wizdog type product let me know!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=66669
[/B][/QUOTE]

Hi ,

First it keeps there paw clean when going. chelsey does tend to get yellow paws from the wee wee pads.
Other thing the wizdog keeps the puppy from riping up the paper or wee , wee pad.
There is hardly any mess at all as the urine goes though to the pad or paper.
It is suppost to help save money on wee wee pad , by using paper .
I like the wee wee pads.
You don't have to stick the pads to the ground and mark up your floor. I still have that marks on our floor from last year. Can't get it off

This does seem very simular to the wizdog and a lot cheeper. Only issue I have with Puppy Toilet is the top grid that has a part that you can use to lift it up. Chelsey will take it and run away with the grid. She cannot do that now with the new grid the wizdog supplied us with. If they can lift up the grid then they can get the paper or wee, wee pad and rip it up. Other then that.. it looks great.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I also love the wizdog. I dunno why, but no matter what I always ended up with pee pee paw prints all around the pee pad. With two dogs now, it was just too much clean up. I used to use the wet swiffer a couple times a day, but when I got Tic, I was constantly mopping up the foot prints. I tried the more expensive pee pads that are more absorbent, but it still happened...Maybe my boys have bad aim
I've been wanting another Wizdog and I will try the one that Mystify posted. I'll let you all know how it goes

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
The problem I had with the Wizdog was that the grate didn't fit properly into the frame.. Tuffy could pick it up with no problem and he would do that a lot.
I tried contacting them but never heard a word back which is weird because I had heard they had great CS. I think the idea is great because Tuffy likes to soak his feet in his pee and he's ALWAYS tracking it around the house. He manages to get pee all over the pee pad holder frame so I have to wash that frequently anyways. He never gets yellow paws because he wipes his feet all over the carpet. :lol: Tuffy pees like a race horse and even with the most absorbant of pee pads there is still a little puddle left for him to soak in so that's why the Wizdog had a lot of promise for us. I'm thinking that the idea Tlunn had is a good one.. maybe if you built a frame that would fit around the pee pad and then secured the grate to it, it would rise off the floor enough to work. Hmm.. I might make this a project for my husband.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Mystify79@May 29 2005, 10:40 PM
The problem I had with the Wizdog was that the grate didn't fit properly into the frame.. Tuffy could pick it up with no problem and he would do that a lot. 
  I tried contacting them but never heard a word back which is weird because I had heard they had great CS.  I think the idea is great because Tuffy likes to soak his feet in his pee and he's ALWAYS tracking it around the house.  He manages to get pee all over the pee pad holder frame so I have to wash that frequently anyways.  He never gets yellow paws because he wipes his feet all over the carpet.  :lol:  Tuffy pees like a race horse and even with the most absorbant of pee pads there is still a little puddle left for him to soak in so that's why the Wizdog had a lot of promise for us.  I'm thinking that the idea Tlunn had is a good one.. maybe if you built a frame that would fit around the pee pad and then secured the grate to it, it would rise off the floor enough to work.  Hmm.. I might make this a project for my husband. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=66722
[/QUOTE]

I know just what your talking about regarding the grid. They replace mine free.
I sent them an email at [email protected] let them know that you have the old grid. They have a new one that the puppy can not pick up and move around. Chelsey used to pick up the old one and bite it. See has not been able to do that since the replacement. it is a lot better and stonger.

Do your boys hike up ther legs. chester only does that sometimes most of the time he sits like chelsey. The urine goes right to the bottom and not on the grid. Maybe it differnet for boys.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by littlepeanut@May 29 2005, 10:38 PM
I also love the wizdog.  I dunno why, but no matter what I always ended up with pee pee paw prints all around the pee pad.  With two dogs now, it was just too much clean up.  I used to use the wet swiffer a couple times a day, but when I got Tic, I was constantly mopping up the foot prints.  I tried the more expensive pee pads that are more absorbent, but it still happened...Maybe my boys have bad aim
  I've been wanting another Wizdog and I will try the one that Mystify posted.  I'll let you all know how it goes

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=66717
[/QUOTE]

Can't wait to find out how it works. It looks good. We need an other one for down stairs.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: yellow paws...
Brink's are never yellow either because I am sure they are cleaned off on the carpet, furniture etc. after he is finished..
He does not care that his feet get wet...usually it is his front feet; his back sometimes with a big/morning pee..It grosses me out to think it is all over my floor and carpet...I am constantly cleaning it. That is why the grate/Wiz dog idea appealed to me. Many on here say their dogs lift their legs so they DON'T get wet...not mine! I wish!
Anyway, I looked at the sifting litter pans pretty good the other night...and I think the grate part is deep enough that it would be next to impossible for his feet to still get wet. I may try one box this week and see how he/I like it. Will let you know.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a boy dog who only goes outside. He doesn't lift his leg, he just sort of leans forward a little closer to the ground. My girl malt uses the pads inside. She never steps in her urine. If she does, it doens't make her feet yellow. By the way, she lifts her leg. It is so funny. That being said, the pads I use stay very dry. It soaks in almost immediately so even if she steps there, it doesn't feel wet. I don't know if the answer is to spend more on better pads that you don't need to replace so often or to buy a litterbox or a wizdog. I really didn't think my dog would use the wizdog. I did buy a frame that snaps over the pads and holds them in place. She quit tearing them up about a month ago. She is now 5 months.

Just my two cents, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by maltsmom@May 31 2005, 02:14 PM
I have a boy dog who only goes outside.  He doesn't lift his leg, he just sort of leans forward a little closer to the ground.  My girl malt uses the pads inside.  She never steps in her urine.  If she does, it doens't make her feet yellow.  By the way, she lifts her leg.  It is so funny.  That being said, the pads I use stay very dry.  It soaks in almost immediately so even if she steps there, it doesn't feel wet.  I don't know if the answer is to spend more on better pads that you don't need to replace so often or to buy a litterbox or a wizdog.  I really didn't think my dog would use the wizdog.  I did buy a frame that snaps over the pads and holds them in place.  She quit tearing them up about a month ago.  She is now 5 months. 

Just my two cents, for what it's worth.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=67238
[/QUOTE]

What kind of pads do you use? Mine are decent with absorbtion, but his paws are gonna get wet if he steps in the puddles!
His paws aren't yellow, but I know they get wet because he leaves tracks on the linoleum and on my lap when he comes to tell me has gone potty.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi all , after reading your posts as soon as we got the puppy, I wanted to order the wizdog but wanted to find an alternative ASAP to Wizdog as I seemed to have trouble ordering it over internet. I found a $12.99 alternative to Wizdog. It is the Group One Cat Welcome Mat. It is intended to trap litter out of the cats' paws as thy come out of the litter box. It has a grid. I bought a large crate for my puppy as I am not able to come home every four hours and put it in one half of the crate. He stays on the bed side for the most part and then goes potty on the welcome mat (it is like a grid). The first few days I used the large dog training pads 24 x 30 which I cut in half and place between mat's tray and grid. There are days I come home early enough and he does not use it. When I am a bit late he seems to have used it. Now I fill the tray under the grid with Feline pine litter. It turns moist litter to sawdust... when cleaning it up I take it outside holding edges together and the sawdust comes out through the grid. I wish they made them in rectangular shape....... custom made would be ideal. I hope it helps you. Here is the description and details:

http://www.grouponepetproducts.com/home.html

Michelle

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@May 31 2005, 03:27 PM
What kind of pads do you use? Mine are decent with absorbtion, but his paws are gonna get wet if he steps in the puddles!
His paws aren't yellow, but I know they get wet because he leaves tracks on the linoleum and on my lap when he comes to tell me has gone potty.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=67246
[/QUOTE]

Are you saying that the pads leave an actual puddle... whereas the liquid is not 100% absorbed?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
i think that is what they mean. If we buy the cheap blue ones they do not absurb as well and even the pee will go throw the bottom at least the wizdog protects our floors and keeps chelsey pas from getting nasty urine on my floor.

I find the green sented ones we use to be a lot better no leakage and you get more use out of it then the cheap blue ones .

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Jun 12 2005, 10:43 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn
@May 31 2005, 03:27 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=67246
Are you saying that the pads leave an actual puddle... whereas the liquid is not 100% absorbed?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71825
[/B][/QUOTE]

It is absorbed...just not fast enough and he doesn't move his feet to prevent it from puddling under them...
He then doesn't care if he walks through it either...even after it is absorbed it is wet enough to get his feet wet if he walks through the middle of it.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have the Wizdog and love it. The only problem I had with it was that when Lacey was popping she would walk off of it and get some on the floor. I had hubby build a wooden frame about 4 inches high to put around it. This way she can hop in, use it and hop off.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Originally posted by Chelsey@Jun 12 2005, 01:42 PM
i think that is what they mean.  If we buy the cheap blue ones they do not absurb as well and even the pee will go throw the bottom at least the wizdog protects our floors and keeps chelsey pas from getting nasty urine on my floor. 

I find the green sented ones we use to be a lot better no leakage and you get more use out of it then the cheap blue ones .
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=71851
[/QUOTE]
I've tried many brands of pee pads at all prices but the best pads I have found are from PetEdge, they are called "Clean Go Pet"
http://www.petedge.com/shopping/product/de...iProductID=4038
I buy the package of 200, (cheapest that way) and I found these pads to be the most absorbant and also keep the urine odor to a minimum.
I used to use the wizdog, but I got tired of cleaning the grate and the holder so often. Easier to just throw out the pad, and with the Pet Edge pads yellow paws stopped being a problem.
Quincymom

1 - 20 of 20 Posts