Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm asking the ladies this because out of all the people I've known to try to lose weight, ladies have been the most successful. Why, I don't know. Maybe it's that desire to look good that makes you want to strive that much harder. Maybe it's the fear of being overweight. Maybe you just want to be smaller than your significant other. Whatever the reason, I want your suggestions on what to do.

I'm 26 years old. I graduated highschool when I was 17. (grad in may, turned 18 in august.) At that time, I was wearing a size 38 waist jeans. I don't remember being over 180 lbs at that time. Forgot to mention the fact that I am 6'2" tall. Ok, now, 9 yrs later, I am wearing a size 38-40 jeans (size 40 in cheap brand). I've always been a big boned person. But now at 26, I'm according to my battery operated scales, I'm at 266lbs. Since Traci & I got married in 2001, I've managed to put on at least 60lbs (if not more).

I've tried the adkins diet. NAH! Sure, I lost 14 lbs the first 3 week, but I noticed no change in anything. And I still think that weight was just fluid.

I am a hypoglycemic. That is a person that has low blood sugar. I get really sick feeling and shaky feeling if I don't consume a nutritional meal.

I only eat twice a day 4 days a week, and three times a day 3 days a week. I do not snack during the day at all. I drink alot of water, limiting myself to no more than 2 diet drinks during the day if I drink a carbonated drink.

Typical breakfast includes cup of raisin brand cereal w/ milk and sometimes I'll eat a half of a banana with it, OR I'll eat 2 eggs, 2 saugage patties, and 1-2 buscuits.

Typical lunch or dinner includes small portion of meat, and 2-3 small portions of vegetable or fruit, OR large portion of meat and 1 vegetable or fruit.

90% of the time I stay away from fried foods. I try to stick with baked or broiled. However, occasionally I may have to grab whatever is convenient at that time while at work.

Now, work I think is what is hurting me. I spend alot of time at work. Right now anywhere from 50-60 hrs a week. Then consider an avg. of 5 hrs night sleep. At a 50 hr. work week, that is 85 hrs of sedentary activity. That gives me 83 hrs during the week to find time to do whatever I need to do to work on my weight loss exercise program.

Your suggestions is greatly appreciated, and if you think I need to modify my eating habits, please don't be afraid to say so, you won't offend me or make me mad I promise, because I want your suggestions, and I want it bluntly!!!!

I LOVE THIS...

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Ahhh, a subject I can address!! I am a Cardiac Rehab Nurse and teach people how to eat for a living!!! If you are hypoglycemic you are eating ALL wrong!! You should be eating six small meal throughout the day to keep your blood sugar at a steady state. Two meals a day is a terrible way to eat and will confuse your metabolism and cause futher difficulties with your blood sugar.

A great place to start is to go to : mypyramid.gov this is the new food pyramid put out by the government, and it is really pretty good. It is a redesigned food pyramid (remember the old food pyramid we learned in grade school?). This nice thing about this one is that it takes into consideration your age, sex and activity level and tells you the number of sevings of different food groups you should be eating.

Stay away from fad diets. Learn healthy eating habits, not dieting. Eat lots of fruits and vegatable and COMPLEX carbohydrates. Stay away from refined carbohydrates (anything white-white sugar, white pasta, white four). Chose low fat foods, 20% or less of your daily calories should come from fat.

And most important, you should get a minimum of 30 minutes of aerobic exercise (walking, running, biking etc) a day at least 5 days a week.

GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
751 Posts
My husband had a stroke in April. Thanks goodness he has no ill effects from it to speak of. While in the hospital we were given healthy eating instructions.

One thing we did learn it how to eat more healthy. Both of us have lost a lot of weight but we have gained a little during garden season. Not so say eating out of the garden is unhealthy but quantity is unhealthy.

The first thing we did is to FOOL ourselves. We eat on salad plates!!! Believe it or not we got full. Amazing how the mind can fool the rest of the body. Also, we did away with snacking at night. No ice cream or popcorn. We drink more water and that helps flush us out. Not much in the way of fried foods and if we do fry something we use olive oil. I can't stomach okra if it's not fried. lolol

My husband has lost over 17 lbs and I have lost close to 12 lbs.

We do walk on the treadmill daily and not only does it help with the heart it gives us more energy. Walking in the morning means getting up a little earlier but it sure gives a boost to the day.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
While I was composing this post, Puppymom wrote just about what I was going to say! I agree with her wholeheartedly. I am also hypoglycemic and two meals a day is terrible for it. I bet you feel hungry a lot.

A couple things stand out to me... the biscuits and sausage. Rather than a biscuit, you should start using 100% whole wheat bread. Be sure the first ingredient is whole wheat flour not just "wheat" flour. Labels are very deceiving so you have to read carefully.

Regarding your breakfast, the cereal is a refined carb and probably doesn’t “stick” with you very long. A wonderful breakfast would be the eggs, whole wheat toast with a little olive oil on it, and a little fresh fruit such as blueberries, strawberries, apple or some tomato slices. This breakfast will stick to you. The sausage is high fat and not good for you at all. Being hypoglycemic, if I eat things like refined cereal for breakfast, I am hungry soon thereafter. I call it eating "air".

You may want to take a look at the list of food on the glycemic index. It is hard to explain what this is but some foods are processed through your system faster and therefore you get hungry faster with them. White bread is probably the worst at 100 on the Glycemic Index. You want to find foods that are "low glycemic". These will keep you feeling full and keep your blood sugar from getting real high and then dropping too low. Here is info on Glycemic Index from Prevention Magazine: http://www.prevention.com/article/0,5778,s...4-378-1,00.html

I have casually studied nutrition for many, many years and see a Ph.D nutritionist once a month to learn what to eat and to keep me on track. There is a lot to learn about what to eat. If you can find a nutritionist to work with you one-on-one that would be good. She will first ask you to fill out a food record. She can then determine how you can modify your diet to be more healthy. If you do see a nutritionist, make sure he/she is a Registered Dietician. Your doctor can probably recommend someone.

Other thoughts... you may want to join Weight Watchers. It is a wonderful program and you will learn a lot about foods, etc. However, since you have hypoglycemia, a lot of what they will tell you may not work for you. That is why I suggest you see a nutritionist at least a few times.

Another thing I highly recommend is to buy Diet Power . With this easy-to-use computer program you log in your foods and it will calculate the how much fat, carbs, calories, etc. your meals have. Once you see truly what you are eating, it will open your eyes! Also, with the program you can track your weight progress. It is about $50 and worth every penny... I promise! And they have a money-back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose... except weight!!

Another source for information is the Center for Science in the Public Interest. They are a food "watchdog" organization and they were key in getting our food labeling system that is on packaging. They have a web site and newsletter. I've subscribed to their newsletter (just $20/year) for about 15 years. It is a great source of nutrition information:
Center For Science in the Public Interest You can learn a lot about foods from them. They are the group that analyzes fast food and tells you how bad it is for you!!

Also, you probably should get more sleep... 8 hours. Here is an article (pdf format) about the sleep/weight relationship:
http://www.cspinet.org/nah/08_05/perchance.pdf

And exercise is critical to losing weight and keeping it off.

OK... I better stop for now.... if you have a specific question about all this, just let me know!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Having just lost 5 lbs over last month, I feel incredibly proud of myself!! My approach to dieting is to increase exercise. I am currently working out for at least 60 minutes 7 days a weeks (running, elliptical, bike, treadmill). However, I have been exercising intensily for last few years and if you haven't been exercising at all, you should start slowly and work your way up. And I do let myself have the foods I love (Ben&Jerry's frozen yogurt, occasional cookie or candy) but in very small amounts. I am really not into fried foods, and I haven't had a hamburger in at least 3-4 years but I can't live without chocolate. I find that if I deprive myself too much, then I end up overeating later. But ultimately I think its important to just watch your overall calorie intake (which should be less than your calorie requirement).

My husband is 5'11'' and weights around 155 lbs. He exercises at least 4 times a week and does a combination of cardio and weight training. He probably eats more reasonably than I do but does not have a structured diet plan or anything. Unlike me, he has maintained his weight over last 5 years. The thing is, is that we both notice a slowing in our metabolism. We are 27 yrs old and find that just cannot eat the things we used to eat when we were younger and not exercise. Getting older is just sad!!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I also forgot to mention that I have been walking a ton lately (in addition to my 60 minutes/7 days a week exercise). I don't have a car here in Nashville and I end up making lots of trips to grocery store for fresh fruits and vegetable. I feel like walking instead of using a car is just such a healthier lifestyle. Of course, once I have the use of my car again in a month, I will go right back to driving but if you do have the option, try walking more. Its great!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I too suffer from a mild case of hypoglycemia. In almost every healthy diet you hear about it says to eat small 'meals' 4-6 times a day instead of 2 or 3 larger meals a day. It keeps your metabolism buring all day long (or something!). But, as an added benefit it really helps the hypoglycemia if you eat more frequently so your blood sugar doesn't spike in one direct or another throughout the day. My suggestion would be to spread your meals out over the day, which can be hard with a work schedule like yours. But some healthy snacks like almonds or rasins can't be too hard to squeeze in! Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Great advice Kallie & Catchers Mom 9and others) !!!.

Weight Watchers is a WONDERFUL eating plan and I recommend it to all my patients. It is truly a "life plan" that you can follow for the rest of your life and still have the foods you crave. A consult with a nutritionist or dietitian is also a good idea. And of course, before starting any diet plan or exercise routine, see you physician :D

My "standard" breakfast" is steel cut oatmeal (very high texture) with a handful of walnuts and then either blueberries or rasins. Great protein, fiber and "sticks" with you!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Everyone else already said the only things I knew to say, with the more sleep, six small meals, and all that good stuff. I can only add that I couldn't bear to exercise until I found something that was fun. I found out it has to just be some active thing that you don't have to call working out. For me, its belly dancing, which I might add is pretty funny to attempt if you actually have a belly
Maybe you like basketball or bowling or something and it would work better than a treadmill or whatever. Now if I could just take everyones advice and eat better. On the other hand, I heartily congratulate myself for being an expert sleeper!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by puppymom@Sep 4 2005, 10:26 AM
My "standard" breakfast" is steel cut oatmeal (very high texture) with a handful of walnuts and then either blueberries or rasins.  Great protein, fiber and "sticks" with  you!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96816
[/QUOTE]

I've been hearing a lot a good stuff about steel cut oatmeal, but I'm confused. Is there an instant steel cut oatmeal? What's your favorite brand and how long does it take to prepare this stuff? I think I should try some.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
My husband and his family have/had weight issues often. Before we were married he was able to lose 45lbs within about 4-5 months. He has been able to maintain his weight since then, may go up and down within a 5lb range now though. The main thing that he did was for one of his meals a day, he would just eat a really big salad with a light salad dressing. Lettuce is a negative calorie food, meaning u burn more calories digesting it than what you bring in by eating it. Hopefully this helps some, and best of luck to you!!

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Originally posted by bellasmommy+Sep 4 2005, 10:51 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-puppymom
@Sep 4 2005, 10:26 AM
My "standard" breakfast" is steel cut oatmeal (very high texture) with a handful of walnuts and then either blueberries or rasins.  Great protein, fiber and "sticks" with  you!
I've been hearing a lot a good stuff about steel cut oatmeal, but I'm confused. Is there an instant steel cut oatmeal? What's your favorite brand and how long does it take to prepare this stuff? I think I should try some.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96820
[/B][/QUOTE]

No, there isn't an instant steel cut oatmeal........ anything "instant" is more highly refined and therefore not as good for you. BUT, I'll let you in on a secret..... the pkg directions will tell you that you have to boil it for a long time but you really don't. I make mine at work and it's practically "instant". I put the oatmeal in a bowl and add BOILING water to it, then I cover the bowl with a lid and let it sit for about 5 minutes. It makes a nice chewy oatmeal.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by puppymom@Sep 4 2005, 06:59 PM
No, there isn't an instant steel cut oatmeal........  anything "instant" is more highly refined and therefore not as good for you.  BUT, I'll let you in on a secret..... the pkg directions will tell you that you have to boil it for a long time but you really don't.  I make mine at work and it's practically "instant".  I put the oatmeal in a bowl and add BOILING water to it, then I cover the bowl with a lid and let it sit for about 5 minutes.  It makes a nice chewy oatmeal.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96867
[/QUOTE]

Puppymom, Thank you so much for the recommendation of the steel cut oatmeal. It's amazing all of the good things we learn on SM!! I am eating some right now with added walnuts for a late supper and it is delicious!!! YUMMY!!!!!

I have a couple questions:

Question 1: I cooked it for the 30 minutes but the package says you can boil water, add the oatmeal, cut the stove off and leave it until morning. Does that mean leave it on the stove overnight ??? Not refrigerated ???

Question 2: When I make it by adding boiling water per your suggestion, how do I know how much water to add?

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I wanted to add in here that I found when I got serious about losing weight that the answer for me was Herbalife. Herbalife is all natural nutritional supplements, not just for weight loss, but also weight gain, maintain, body builders, athletes, etc.. I was nursing my youngest child and took the ingredient listing to both my ob and pediatrician, to get their opinions on the ingredients. Both of my docs gave me a big thumbs up. I fell so in love with it that I became a distributor. What made the difference for me is that I am simply not a morning person, and with the kids who are particularly picky, I hate the idea of fixing multiple meals for the same meal. Herbalife gave me a shake which not only tasted good, was quick to fix, and kept me feeling full. It also taught me that I NEEDED to snack in between meals since you don't want to go too long in between meals. With the help of Herbalife and the support I have gotten, I was able to lose 26 pounds. Even now, I have gained some of my weight back due to some medical conditions, and different meds I have been on, I am still not as big as I once was. I can only credit that to Herbalife. If you want more info you can go to the website, www.myherbalife.com , or you can pm me. Good luck in whatever you decide to try.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Puppymom, Thank you so much for the recommendation of the steel cut oatmeal. It's amazing all of the good things we learn on SM!! I am eating some right now with added walnuts for a late supper and it is delicious!!! YUMMY!!!!!

I have a couple questions:

Question 1: I cooked it for the 30 minutes but the package says you can boil water, add the oatmeal, cut the stove off and leave it until morning. Does that mean leave it on the stove overnight ??? Not refrigerated ???

Question 2: When I make it by adding boiling water per your suggestion, how do I know how much water to add?

Thanks again!!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=97109
[/QUOTE]

I suspect that means leave it on the stove and not refrigerated, I don't think it would spoil. BUT, I don't leave it that long. I add the boiling water, cover it and leave it for 10 minutes or so and it's is fine. I can't really tell you how much, it's kinda guess work. I put a some in a bowl and then "cover" it with boiling water.... after you do it a couple times you'll get the hang of it. Antoher thing you can do is cook a batch, put it in the fridge then microwave a dish at a time.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by puppymom+Sep 4 2005, 03:59 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 4 2005, 10:51 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-puppymom
@Sep 4 2005, 10:26 AM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96820

[/QUOTE]

No, there isn't an instant steel cut oatmeal........ anything "instant" is more highly refined and therefore not as good for you. BUT, I'll let you in on a secret..... the pkg directions will tell you that you have to boil it for a long time but you really don't. I make mine at work and it's practically "instant". I put the oatmeal in a bowl and add BOILING water to it, then I cover the bowl with a lid and let it sit for about 5 minutes. It makes a nice chewy oatmeal.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=96867
[/B][/QUOTE]

Is that really true about the instant type of oatmeal being different? Its much more convenient to cook. I would bet its still healthy and being more convenient, its more likelier that people like me who are on the run in the morning would eat it.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Instant oatmeal is more "refined", that means the grain is more broken down and more digestable. The more "whole" a grain is the higher in fiber it is and the better it is. One quick way is to read the label on a pkg of instant oatmeal and on a pkg of regular oatmeal. I don't have the labels in front of me to compare but I suspect you'll see a difference even in protein content. Additionally, most instant oatmeal contain sugar. I'll try to look when I'm at the grocery store tomorrow and write it down.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts